Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Sep 7, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #3,346 of 3,645

Tools should be to the right of the emCORE console. Which version are you on?

Since September last year some patch messed up the holdswitch. I've been using a build right before it, it still has great battery life and never crashed even once in all the time I've been using it. USB is also working fine for me.

I've uploaded the build here (note: it's just an older daily build, nothing custom about it, but it works perfect together with emcore r859): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rkn56p6gbliwdih/AAC0nddsaar60hb7dSTOlNLoa?dl=0

can you please reupload this build?

Oct 3, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #3,351 of 3,645
Hello everyone! I am currently really looking forward to using Rockbox, but it is currently so complicated for me to operate since the Driver Software is failing to be downloaded. I am at my ends here and have tried on my other computer to see if it can work on another. Still, I keep getting nothing. And yes, I followed the instructions given here at this website:
http://www.freemyipod.org/wiki/EmCORE_Installation

By the way, I never got a notification saying the driver that is trying to install is this "Apple Recovery (DFU) USB Driver". What could this mean? I just run bootstrap and shows UMSboot on my iPod but does not install thereafter.

I disable my antivirus and updated my .NET. Please help me! I hope this thread is not dead!

[I have a 7th gen. iPod Classic 120GB]

Oct 7, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #3,354 of 3,645
I installed it but then uninstalled it since it was of no use to me after doing the software update.

Give it a try with iTunes installed and follow the instructions with the option that you do have iTunes installed (killing the processes etc.).

Edit: not related to the question above, but someone is on fire today
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Oct 11, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #3,356 of 3,645

Does that mean that the daily build ( http://www.rockbox.org/dl.cgi?bin=ipod6g ) now contains the merged patches?

Edit: There are new entries, one of them is called DualBoot :)

Hmmm - my unpowered Fiio portable external amp (forget the name - E1?) now works with Rockbox, when before it didn't (only a powered one worked)  Admittedly I don't need it with Rockbox as Rockbox itself avoids the OF EU volume limit.  But still, that seems to be new...

Sadly the headphone jack remote still doesn't work with Rockbox.

Oct 11, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #3,357 of 3,645
Hello, as you might have noticed, the Classics received a bunch of updates in the last week, bugs got fixes, new features added. There's a beta (or maybe alpha?) version of a Rockbox bootloader (no emCORE involved) which also supports dual-booting apple's firmware. All credit goes to Cástor Muñoz! Here are links to his development builds:
dualboot-installer-ipod6g.dfu: [link removed]
dualboot-uninstaller-ipod6g.dfu: [link removed]
rockbox.zip: [link removed]

IMPORTANT: Use this bootloader and the rockbox build as a pair - do not mix them with other bootloaders (emCORE) or different build of rockbox. It has patches that are not integrated in Rockbox yet. If you want to use a different rockbox build on the ipod, please uninstall this bootloader first, then install emCORE and upload the rockbox build you like.

Notable changes:
- support for IAP (iPod Accessory Protocol), which means that desktop and car docks should work
- recording from Line-In (dock connector) or microphone (using headphones with mic)
- read and display of HDD SMART data in rockbox (System - Debug - View/Dump SMART data)
- use DMA controller for LCD and playback (should improve performance)

How to install:
!! WARNING !! This is development code, you agreee that you take full responsibility if anything bad happens to your device. It works for me, but it may not work for you.
-1. backup all important data on the ipod, including songs, pictures, etc
0. start with a itunes-restored ipod in stock condition
1. use freemyipod's ipoddfu.py script to upload the installer
2. wait for the bootloader to install
2.1 if the bootloader says No partition found, reboot with menu+select, then enter disk mode with select+play. format the drive with fat32
2.2 if the bootloader says rockbox not found, reboot with menu+select, then enter disk mode with select+play
3. extract rockbox.zip to the root direcotry of the ipod
4. safely eject/remove
5. reboot the ipod with menu+select
6. ?!?
7. profit!!!

you should have ipod with dualboot. hold down any button during boot to enter apple's firmware. have fun!

i haven't tested uninstalling, should be done with ipoddfu.py and the uninstall binary, then maybe a restore with itunes?

PLEASE report bugs with these builds in IRC: irc.freenode.net #freemyipod or #rockbox (nickname of the developer is prof_wolfff). we like and respect the community here, but none of us has the time to read the forums. you're free to post bug reports or support requests here, and hope that the developers will see them at some point, but if you want faster response, use irc.

Quote:

Sadly the headphone jack remote still doesn't work with Rockbox.

This is on the TODO list, but with low priority. At least not before there's a stable Rockbox bootloader

Oct 13, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #3,358 of 3,645
Good to see development is still happening for it.

Oct 13, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #3,359 of 3,645
   Quote:
  1. use freemyipod's ipoddfu.py script to upload the installer

Care to elaborate on this...with specific instructions? Can you provide links, etc.? You might as well be speaking Zulu with this one-liner. And prior to this step, do we need to press and hold menu+select on our iPod for 15 seconds with it connected to our PC? Details, details, details, please!
confused_face(1).gif

bugs got fixes

Does this version fix the "humming lock-up" bug that I tend to get once every few days? Occasionally it can happen while changing an EQ preset. The iPod freezes up and puts out a very loud, distorted humming noise (through the headphones) at around 170 Hz, and I have to press and hold menu+select for 5 seconds to reboot. It's a very minor problem (as it happens, on average, once every few days), but has anything been done to address this issue?

Oct 13, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #3,360 of 3,645
Does Rockbox make you never, ever, ever, ever want to give up your iPod Classic? It sure does with me! 
gs1000.gif

I ordered a spare, unused iPod Classic off Taobao (the Chinese equivalent of eBay) about two weeks ago for about $250 USD, and it arrived after a few days. I put Rockbox on it, along with my 2 sets of 300 EQ presets and my music collection of nearly 10,000 songs, and put it in my bank safe early last week.

It's nice to have a spare iPod Classic stored in a safe place...in case my longtime one (that I've had for 7 years) ever gets lost or stolen. Apple doesn't make or sell these anymore, and I'm concerned that at some point in the future, Apple repair centers won't be able to fix them. I'm also concerned that the available supply of unused iPods on the Internet will dwindle and their prices will keep going up.

(As a side note, I had the battery replaced in my old iPod at a local Apple repair center late last year and had the circuit boards thoroughly cleaned, and it runs like a champ!)

Anyway, there was one bad part in the new package: a crappy 30-pin USB cable. It worked with the supplied ultracompact charger, but wouldn't allow the iPod to receive data from a PC. So I went to a local electronics megacenter and got a really cheap 30-pin USB cable for about $2 USD. But within the next few hours I realized it also had a problem -- as it intermittently caused a file-structure error on the iPod. So I had to do a complete wipe and reload on the iPod using one of my good USB cables to fix the problem that this second new USB line had created. Finally, I went back to the local electronics megacenter and got a better quality cable from a better brand to put in my bank safe with the new iPod -- in case these 30-pin cables stop being sold at local stores in the future.

It's good to have some peace of mind with this! 
cool.gif

Later last week, I was charging my Cayin C5 portable amp with a 2-ampere (2A) wall-plug charger...with the old iPod connected to the computer via USB. I got a really weird noise in my computer speakers that sounded like the wow and flutter of an iPod hard disk! The iPod also seemed to run really slow with multiple read/write problems.

The fix: disconnecting the line-out cable running from the desktop stereo receiver to my portable headphone amp -- even though the Cayin C5 amp was turned off. (This was creating a ground loop and interfering with the USB connection to the PC.) Also if I want to hook up my iPod to a computer while the portable amp is charging, I learned to always disconnect the small 3-inch line-out cable connecting the iPod to the little amp -- as this will also create a ground loop and interfere with the USB signal to the PC if the amp is charging.

Luckily, this interference didn't mess up the file structure on the iPod and I didn't have to do a wipe and reload. But it was weird for a little while until figuring it out.

Oh well,...Happy Rockboxing, everyone! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back