Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Jul 10, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #3,331 of 3,645
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_bIDtBohnE&feature=youtu.be it does not stay black like in that video?

NO. It keeps rebooting :frowning2:

I tried many time, and finally found that, I need to release the button after the display turned black, then the Itunes recognized the ipod and restored.

Maybe because it's a resembled ipod, not a genius one.

Oh yeah you must let go of the button, I guess that is hard to see in the video. You did it right you just forgot that step that's all.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

Jul 13, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #3,332 of 3,645
hey guys,

I really need the help of this forum right now. I recently installed Rockbox (finally! :) ) on my iPod Video. Everythings seems to work, except that not all songs are showing up. The Database was updated several times and all of the music is my own (CDs -> iTunes -> m4a -> iPod)

The thing is that the songs appear to be random showing. Some do but most don't, and I don't get why. I searched Google until my fingers could write any more search keywords, so now I'm asking here.

The things I found are:

- back in 2006 Rockbox wasn't able to read the iTunes Tag-Database. 
- Rockbox seems to hate the Sansa Clip+
- Some say around the time between 2006 and 2008 that Rockbox isn't able to identify iTunes Tags at all
- Rockbox isn't able to list all DRM tracks (which I don't have)
- Some themes have problems showing all tracks somehow. That's also not the case

It gets harder and harder for me to find good answers from today. I really like the theme stuff and the options Rockbox gives me, but I really only want to listen to music and not play games (maybe THAT is why it's not working? On the installation I unchecked the game stuff)

I also manually deleted the database-files so Rockbox did a complete new database, but it's just the same. Some tracks show up, most of them don't.

When the database is reinitialised, it shows around "15900 items scanned". I only have 11995 tracks on the iPod. Is the number showing in the scan the entire iPod including the firmware files of both the iPod OS and Rockbox? Maybe some of you guys can help me. :/

Jul 13, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #3,333 of 3,645
Not 100% certain, but I think the 'items scanned' includes the folders that the tracks are in - that presumably is the discrepancy?  Also, maybe folder/cover art files?

For tracks to show up in the database they have to have the tags filled in properly - otherwise some might be ending up listed as 'unknown' artist or album or both.  If all your tags are set correctly then I don't know what the problem is, sorry!

Not sure what you mean by 'iTunes tags' - Rockbox database reads the tags of the audio files themselves, so those tags need to be correctly filled in.

Jul 14, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #3,334 of 3,645
hey guys,

I really need the help of this forum right now. I recently installed Rockbox (finally! :) ) on my iPod Video. Everythings seems to work, except that not all songs are showing up. The Database was updated several times and all of the music is my own (CDs -> iTunes -> m4a -> iPod)

The thing is that the songs appear to be random showing. Some do but most don't, and I don't get why. I searched Google until my fingers could write any more search keywords, so now I'm asking here.

The things I found are:

- back in 2006 Rockbox wasn't able to read the iTunes Tag-Database. 
- Rockbox seems to hate the Sansa Clip+
- Some say around the time between 2006 and 2008 that Rockbox isn't able to identify iTunes Tags at all
- Rockbox isn't able to list all DRM tracks (which I don't have)
- Some themes have problems showing all tracks somehow. That's also not the case

It gets harder and harder for me to find good answers from today. I really like the theme stuff and the options Rockbox gives me, but I really only want to listen to music and not play games (maybe THAT is why it's not working? On the installation I unchecked the game stuff)

I also manually deleted the database-files so Rockbox did a complete new database, but it's just the same. Some tracks show up, most of them don't.

When the database is reinitialised, it shows around "15900 items scanned". I only have 11995 tracks on the iPod. Is the number showing in the scan the entire iPod including the firmware files of both the iPod OS and Rockbox? Maybe some of you guys can help me. :/
Download mp3tag and see if you have meta data for the files themselves or if iTunes is using its own. If it has no meta data it will all scan as unknown.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

Jul 16, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #3,335 of 3,645
Is there a newer Consensus on a good rockbox version (for ipod classic 7g)?
I downloaded the latest version from the rockbox website the other day and now:
 - I don't have the "Load to RAM" option
 - Playing in a docking station doesn't work

Now it seems as if they removed/broke these features... (I really wish the devs liked the newer ipods)

Jul 16, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #3,336 of 3,645
  Is there a newer Consensus on a good rockbox version (for ipod classic 7g)?
I downloaded the latest version from the rockbox website the other day and now:
 - I don't have the "Load to RAM" option
 - Playing in a docking station doesn't work

Now it seems as if they removed/broke these features... (I really wish the devs liked the newer ipods)

External amp works fine for me with 7g classic and latest version of rockbox (obviously it never worked for unpowered external amps, due to Apple encrypting things to prevent the dock connector providing power, but it works with a powered external amp, so presumably should work on a docking station)

Not sure what "load to RAM" is (I guess I've never used it!)

Jul 16, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #3,337 of 3,645

Load to RAM loads the database into the RAM of the device, allows for faster navigation.

Is there a setting that toggles docking or external dac support?
If I plug my iPod in it goes into USB mode. When I press the menu+select key while docking it doesn't go into usb mode but it doesn't work either.

Jul 16, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #3,338 of 3,645

Load to RAM loads the database into the RAM of the device, allows for faster navigation.

Is there a setting that toggles docking or external dac support?
If I plug my iPod in it goes into USB mode. When I press the menu+select key while docking it doesn't go into usb mode but it doesn't work either.

Hmmm, I guess that's a difference between a dock and an external portable amp, the dock I suppose looks like a computer connection to rockbox.  Your guess is as good as mine as to what is going on there.  There are settings in the settings menu for line out and 'car adaptor mode', could they be relevant? (I don't use a docking station).

Jul 16, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #3,339 of 3,645
I couldn't get it to work with my car radio either (iOS iPhone / non-rockbox ipod does work).
Toggling the car adapter mode didn't work. I'm getting an amp soon. All that matters is if that amp works.

Jul 16, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #3,340 of 3,645
  I couldn't get it to work with my car radio either (iOS iPhone / non-rockbox ipod does work).
Toggling the car adapter mode didn't work. I'm getting an amp soon. All that matters is if that amp works.

Is line out set to ON in settings/system?

Jul 25, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #3,343 of 3,645
Any update on getting a digital line out for an actual DAC? I'd love to invest time into making this thing be a great DAP for me that will allow me to upgrade the SQ later when my future cans/IEMs demand a better DAC than whatever is built into the 7th gen classic.

If this is a feature simply being worked on, I'd love to contribute to actual development if I can (i.e. I'm a newbie Computer Science student, so I can at least look at the code and try). If there's some kind of reason why it will never happen that someone is aware of, I'd like to know now. I'm also considering trying to throw together an Android smartphone based rig with USB OTG. There will need to be some changes made to the audio subsystem to make hi-res work though, but I'd rather work on that than keep fretting over the crummy UIs that DAP makers apparently put out nowadays (going on what I'm reading, not personal experience).

Aug 10, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #3,344 of 3,645
I've got my latest generation iPod Classic for some years and finally installed RockBox today. Now I can finally use my iPod again as I didn't like the fact that the stock Apple FW doesn't support sorting by "Album Artist", why it was not in use for about three years.

Aug 22, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #3,345 of 3,645
any news on development on the 6th gen ipod classic on the progress of it i could never really find any i still have rockbox on mine wondering if i should still rebuild my classic or get something android base build i use my phone more and more with viper4android as my daily driver kinda miss using my ipod

Users who are viewing this thread

Back