Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
May 7, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #3,287 of 3,645
  Can the rockbox classic still play videos/movies or is it all audio?

I can only get mine to play .mpg or .mpeg videos. It treats .mp4 files as audio-only files. It can't play .flv, and can't play "converted" .m4v files, either.

I can no longer use my iPod for watching videos anymore (for the most part), so this is the main trade-off for me. But it's primarily been a music player for me, and the video capability was just an added benefit.

But now, with Rockbox, being able to create my own 2 sets of 193 EQ presets that I can quickly & easily change on the fly -- without distortion -- (and also be able to share these presets with everyone on the Internet) has been such a tremendous joy and has made the biggest difference in sound quality imaginable that I really don't care much about losing that video-playback capability, really.

May 15, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #3,293 of 3,645
Rockboxed my ipod 160 Gb yesterday. Loaded some files today to begin testing the unit. Trying to connect the ipod again to my PC and although I see the usb connection screen in my ipod, the computer does not load the usb drive...I could use some help here...

May 15, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #3,294 of 3,645
Do you still have iTunes installed on the computer? You need the drivers from it so the computer still see the ipod.

Also it does take a min or two before the computer see the drive.

If it still hasn't shown after a 2 or 3 min wait, then it is probably a driver problem.

Hopefully someone else will be able to help more.

May 15, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #3,296 of 3,645
  Rockboxed my ipod 160 Gb yesterday. Loaded some files today to begin testing the unit. Trying to connect the ipod again to my PC and although I see the usb connection screen in my ipod, the computer does not load the usb drive...I could use some help here...

It's a very annoying problem.  It's possible different Rockbox builds will give you different/better results.  You may need to try a different USB port.  I've found that a hard reset of the iPod while it's plugged in (press and hold Menu and Select/center button until the iPod reboots) usually helps.

May 15, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #3,297 of 3,645

Basically any new build on Windows will not mount correctly, you need to hold select and menu and when it reboots hold menu and then scroll to the right and under settings launch the fall back image. Then your Windows will see the drive. When you are done do the same but don't hold menu when it reboots to get back into the normal build.

EDIT: you just said PC not Windows my bad, do you have windows?

May 17, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #3,299 of 3,645
  Yes, I use Windows 7

Then yeah you need to do usb through the fallback image if your on a recent build. Then reboot back into the build after your done with it. Does the fallback image work for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back