Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Mar 19, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #3,273 of 3,645
Question: if I install Rockbox on my iPod Classic, and if I boost the bass a lot in the EQ settings, will it distort the sound on newer music like it does with the Apple firmware? In Rockbox, if I can set custom EQ settings, do I have to just keep the sub-bass set to +0 dB and attenuate everything else to prevent clipping? Or can I actually boost it without it causing audible distortion? Just wondering.

Mar 20, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #3,274 of 3,645
  Question: if I install Rockbox on my iPod Classic, and if I boost the bass a lot in the EQ settings, will it distort the sound on newer music like it does with the Apple firmware? In Rockbox, if I can set custom EQ settings, do I have to just keep the sub-bass set to +0 dB and attenuate everything else to prevent clipping? Or can I actually boost it without it causing audible distortion? Just wondering.

Rockboxing the iPod Classic helps get rid of the distortion you get with the Apple firmware. It was one of the main reasons why I did it.

Couldn't stand listening to mp3s on the iPod before as the distortion was annoying.

Mar 20, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #3,276 of 3,645
hi, does any has any problem with charging at low battery? my classic 7gen cant be charged and im having problems booting to DFU

Mine did this. Put it on hold and plug it in, it is charging just leave it for a couple hours.

Mar 26, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #3,277 of 3,645
Mar 26, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #3,278 of 3,645
...Day in, day out, all we know,
Things go better with rock...

...Box!

This cool '80s jam, "Turn Up the Radio" by Autograph, sounds friggin' awesome cranked up on my Rockboxed iPod Classic with my personalized EQ set on "Acoustic 5 Bass," coupled with the bass boost on my E12A.

("Acoustic 7 Bass" might sound best without a bass boost switch, but then I'd probably run out of volume gain.)

...Day in, day out, all we know,
Things go better with rock...

...Box!

Yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh! 
atsmile.gif

Mar 28, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #3,279 of 3,645
Well guys, unless Rockbox ever comes out with firmware for the FiiO X5, X7, etc., in the future, then it looks like I'll be sticking with an iPod Classic for many, many years and decades to come! (I recently had the battery replaced in my 80 GB, had the circuit boards thoroughly cleaned, and it runs like a champ. I've had it for 6 1/2 years.)

If my iPod ever goes out on me, or gets lost, stolen, ruined, etc., then I'll just have to hunt for another one. Luckily here in China, new / unused ones are easy to find online, and at half the price compared to Amazon in the U.S.

There's lots of 'em here:

http://s.taobao.com/search?spm=a230r.1.0.0.IjknqY&q=ipod+classic

And here's some decent, protective silicone rubber skins with a protective screen film included in the pack:

http://tinyurl.com/nj3r67y

Anyway, does Rockbox make you never, ever, ever, ever want to give up your iPod Classic? It sure does with me! 
gs1000.gif

Mar 28, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #3,281 of 3,645
Apr 19, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #3,282 of 3,645
Long time head-fier here.  After reading up on this thread and googling around a bit I finally bit the bullet and installed rockbox on my iPod Classic.  Best decision I ever made!  I was ready to sell my Classic 7G - 160gb off.  I hate iTunes with a passion, made my album list a complete disaster. Kept seeing duplicates (and sixtupulets!) of albums.  Ridiculous.  Garbage software.  Took the long-overdue plunge to rockbox, fixed up the custom eq and man, I'm in heaven.  Ipod classic with Apple's firmware is atrocious.  I would describe the overall sound tone as "metallic" and incredible ear fatiguing.  Big thumbs up and hugs to the folks who made this a reality!    

May 4, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #3,284 of 3,645
Just curious, which build are people here using on their Classic? The newer builds still lack the hold switch detection, so I'm on a build from September last year.

I'm on one of the latest, released like a month ago. No hold switch detection, but totally usable with decent battery life. I assume that the later versions should be more completed than the older ones. Not sure though.

May 6, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #3,285 of 3,645
  hi could someone help out, ive followed the instructions installed emcore then when it boots for the first time and i choose rockbox i get the 'ipod failed trying fall back image' i guess thats normall as rocbox isnt installed yet
but then i wait and get a white panic screen saying  ATA: error 80000000 while reading BBT (sector 0, co unit 1)

ive tried a couple of times but it still happens, ive installed Tarkans iflash and using a sdxc card and that seems all ok so dont know if that has anything to do with it.

I've got the same problem. Just installed Tarkan's iFlash as well with a Transcend 8GB SD card for testing but it gives the same error. I've also tried using an earlier emCore build (674) but it gets stuck on the formatting section. Anyone can help me out? Side note: I've used Rockbox before on my original Ipod Toshiba 120 GB hard drive. This one had a cluster problem so that's why I replaced it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back