Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
May 7, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #3,046 of 3,645
For me its a definite fact that battery life in IPOD Classic is drained a lot faster (there is no comparison IMO) than original firmware !
Ipod's battery before RB lasted about 20 hours and after RB lasts no more than 8 hours !
I often update to the latest RB version but unfortunately no change in Battery use.
Worse thing is when i add new music and database is being updated.
In this case I have to plug in ipod to charger so as not to get completely drained (from100% to 0%) and obviously auto shut down long before database gets updated.

May 13, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #3,048 of 3,645
Guys,
I need to know if anyone else has faced a similar issue, and whether there are any fixes.

Upon boot, pressing Rockbox gives the message 'Rockbox image not found, using fallback image', or something similar.

Then, when rockbox boots, it just shows a blank screen with 'Partition not found, plug in usb cable' or something similar.

This has happened with my iPod Classic 6G twice in between a few months. Usually I just use EmCore's 'format data partition' to format and start over, but it's a hassle copying all the music back every time this issue pops up.

So is there any fix in the recent versions? Or is it an indication that my iPod's hard disk is having hiccups?

May 15, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #3,049 of 3,645
It can be an indication that your hard drive is damaged or corrupted. Which Emcore and Rockbox version are you using?
Use the backup image, connect to USB on your computer, let it check the 'external drive' for errors and damaged sectors and automatically repair them. After that format your iPod's hard drive one more time from the Emcore boot menu. Connect it again and copy a new Rockbox build and your music.

If the issues return after the steps above your hard drive probably suffers from actual failures.

May 17, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #3,050 of 3,645
Hi guys,

first post here, I've just bought an iPod Classic 160GB (6th gen) and want to rockbox it. I found this thread (and its 200+ pages...), and I wanted to know if the original post is up-to-date or if there are important updates/information hidden in these 3050 posts..?

Thanks for your help !

May 17, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #3,051 of 3,645
  Hi guys,

first post here, I've just bought an iPod Classic 160GB (6th gen) and want to rockbox it. I found this thread (and its 200+ pages...), and I wanted to know if the original post is up-to-date or if there are important updates/information hidden in these 3050 posts..?

Thanks for your help !

First post is what you need.  As to what build of Rockbox you choose, that's a matter of preference and a little experimentation.  The daily builds on the Rockbox site are a good place to start.  Once you've got emCORE installed, switching builds is simply a matter of unzipping/extracting the package onto the device.

HTH.

May 18, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #3,052 of 3,645
Guys, I have been trying to Rb my late 2009 IPC but so far no success, I am glad I didn't brick the device yet.

I need a little bit help. So I went to first post, start following the introductions.

When I push select and menu button for about 10 seconds to put the iPod in DFU mode (Apple logo comes and goes then screen stays black, then I remove my fingers from the buttons), my computer recognizes something and try to install drivers automatically but drivers can't be installed successfully. At the end, I don't see the new device in my computer as Apple Recovery (DFU) USB Driver, basically I don't see anything. So I can't continue.

Any help? Really would be appreciated, I am so fed up with Apple's UI, I need to install Rockbox on this otherwise it will drive me crazy.

EDIT: I go to task manager and under processes part I remove ituneshelper.exe but I don't see applemobiledeviceservice.exe there, in order to find it I had to go to the services and close it. Still no luck though, I don't know why, my computer doesn't install the drivers successfully.

I am using Win 7 64 bit Pro btw.

May 18, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #3,053 of 3,645
Do you have more than 1 user account on the pc? You need to select "show processes from all users" or something to that effect in task manager and close all the apple proccess. Sometimes its as easy a solution as that and other times it could be something else.

May 18, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #3,054 of 3,645
Yes, I am the only user in my computer as administrator. I will try one more time on my girlfriends computer because now when I go to DFU mode, there is not even a driver installation. Nothing happens
confused_face.gif
I don't see the iPod, I don't see it as a USB device either and no driver installation is happening.

May 18, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #3,055 of 3,645
Update: Guys, I think I did it. It worked on my girlfriends computer successfully. Now I have Rockbox on my latest gen iPod. Lots of storage, wonderful UI, flac playback.

Thanks 
beerchug.gif
 Belgian beer for everyone!

May 18, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #3,056 of 3,645
  Update: Guys, I think I did it. It worked on my girlfriends computer successfully. Now I have Rockbox on my latest gen iPod. Lots of storage, wonderful UI, flac playback.

Thanks 
beerchug.gif
 Belgian beer for everyone!

Congrats 
smile.gif

beerchug.gif

If you try plugging your Rockbox'd iPod into your computer (the problematic one) and it's not recognized (drivers fail to install), just reboot it (Menu + Select) while it's connected and it should be recognized.  I mention this because I plugged mine into a new PC (no iTunes installed; never plugged RB'd iPod into it), and it wasn't recognized.  I began to wonder if I needed some drivers, but rebooting worked.

May 18, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #3,057 of 3,645
Ok I jumped to my computer, plugged the ipod, nothing happens. I am going to do what you said, menu+select and see what happens.

Damn, I was so happy for a while, now I need to fix this issue with my computer. I hope it will be just fine like yours. Thanks for the tip mate.

Edit: Went to boot menu, choose Rockbox, Windows can't install the drivers successfully. However I see the iPod in my computer, can copy+paste files in it. I hope it will work each time I connect to it to my computer.

Question: What are your fav. themes?

May 18, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #3,058 of 3,645

First post is what you need.  As to what build of Rockbox you choose, that's a matter of preference and a little experimentation.  The daily builds on the Rockbox site are a good place to start.  Once you've got emCORE installed, switching builds is simply a matter of unzipping/extracting the package onto the device.

HTH.

Thanks ThustonX !

Could you expand a little on the builds or point me to a link ? What are the differences ? If I read you correctly, switching builds should not erase any data and require a new transfer of audio files ?

I've just got it out of the box and it's charging up right now (sector charge, haven't plugged it in to my PC yet, I plan to only install iTunes drivers and not the rest of its crapware), and I'm reading up on all this, I've seen a few of installation bug reports so I'm hoping it'll go smoothly for me, quite excited !
biggrin.gif

Edit : by the way the sticker on the box said 6th gen, but the ifixit link says that based on the serial number I have a 160 GB (Thin) iPod Classic, which is termed here a 7th gen... It doesn't seem to change anything in terms of installation, builds etc., right ?

May 18, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #3,059 of 3,645
  Ok I jumped to my computer, plugged the ipod, nothing happens. I am going to do what you said, menu+select and see what happens.

Damn, I was so happy for a while, now I need to fix this issue with my computer. I hope it will be just fine like yours. Thanks for the tip mate.

Edit: Went to boot menu, choose Rockbox, Windows can't install the drivers successfully. However I see the iPod in my computer, can copy+paste files in it. I hope it will work each time I connect to it to my computer.

Question: What are your fav. themes?

Try rebooting again.  I don't think iTunes would interfere, but I don't run it, so I'm not sure.

re: themes, I use a customized version of AAfreak (Album Art Freak).  It was a good base to start with, but tweaking took a lot of reading of the manual.  The best tool is the Rockbox UI Simulator.  Saves the trouble of loading the changes into the actual device until it's tweaked to perfection.

May 18, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #3,060 of 3,645

Thanks ThustonX !

Could you expand a little on the builds or point me to a link ? What are the differences ? If I read you correctly, switching builds should not erase any data and require a new transfer of audio files ?

I've just got it out of the box and it's charging up right now (sector charge, haven't plugged it in to my PC yet, I plan to only install iTunes drivers and not the rest of its crapware), and I'm reading up on all this, I've seen a few of installation bug reports so I'm hoping it'll go smoothly for me, quite excited !
biggrin.gif

Edit : by the way the sticker on the box said 6th gen, but the ifixit link says that based on the serial number I have a 160 GB (Thin) iPod Classic, which is termed here a 7th gen... It doesn't seem to change anything in terms of installation, builds etc., right ?

There's a link in the first post to Aroldan's builds.  A lot of people were using them (may still be).  I'm using a daily build from Oct. 2103, as it is stable on my device.  The build info is f580714-131009.  It's rockbox-ipod6g-20131010.zip.

Daily builds are here: http://www.rockbox.org/dl.cgi?bin=ipod6g 

I was having a problem where the response time was very slow, or the screen would not come back after it had blanked (music still playing).  The only solution was to reboot, which was annoying.  After switching to that daily build, I've not had that, or any other, problems.

Correct, switching builds only overwrites the Rockbox files, no data files or anything not included in the zip.  You can see what those files are by opening the archive and examining the contents before extracting.  It's a selective overwrite - as is usual for Winzip, 7zip, et al. - not a system wipe.

The whole iPod Classic generation naming thing is a PITA, frankly.  Regardless, you're good to go 
smile.gif

HTH.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LOL, after all that, I think I'll try the latest daily build.  Easy enough to switch back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back