Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Jan 12, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #2,881 of 3,645
  Yup, D/L the daily build yesterday, and every time I go to the playlist menu I get a loud screeching noise and the player freezes. Worked for a while just playing regular tracks, but now the music will play but nothing else works (buttons/display/etc). Rolling back to Jan. 1 build. That one seemed to work fine for me.

Same here, my scrolling wheel blocks after a few seconds, keeps on playing but doesn't respond to any key. Rolling back to earlier builds helps.
A lot going on with patches: http://gerrit.rockbox.org/r/#/q/status:merged,n,z

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #2,882 of 3,645

Same here, my scrolling wheel blocks after a few seconds, keeps on playing but doesn't respond to any key. Rolling back to earlier builds helps.
A lot going on with patches: http://gerrit.rockbox.org/r/#/q/status:merged,n,z

The Jan.1 build seems to be working pretty well for me now.
Anybody heard any more news about emcore updates? I tried the newest .ubi (can't remember which version) and for some reason every time I turned it on rockbox would rebuild the database. Rolled back to good 'ol 859.

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #2,884 of 3,645
I have a pair of ipod classic 7g's both rockboxed some time ago, but now when they are plugged to my laptop (Windows 7) thru USB both won't be detected. Nothings shows in the "disk management" window for these ipods. Any ideas on what's going on?

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #2,885 of 3,645
  I have a pair of ipod classic 7g's both rockboxed some time ago, but now when they are plugged to my laptop (Windows 7) thru USB both won't be detected. Nothings shows in the "disk management" window for these ipods. Any ideas on what's going on?

These 7g's can be a total PitA. Try doing a reset while it's still plugged in. If not you might need to install the drivers from the emcore site if you don't have em already. If I can remember correctly there should be a set of drivers you can install for a non-itunes install - that's what I used. Some folks have mentioned similar problems and solutions here in the forum, but I can't recall what they are.
Good luck & Cheers

<edit> Here's the link for the custom drivers:
 http://freemyipod.org/wiki/EmCORE_Installation/iPodClassic/ChooseMethod

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #2,886 of 3,645
I think the crash is fixed in the current build as of an hour ago.

Is there a limit to how long a playlist title can be? I just tried that build, and as soon I went to the playlist menu it froze as before. I decided to shorten the playlist names (a couple were pretty long), and so far no freeze. I didn't have this problem with the Jan.1 or prior builds.
Cheers

Jan 13, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #2,887 of 3,645
  These 7g's can be a total PitA. Try doing a reset while it's still plugged in. If not you might need to install the drivers from the emcore site if you don't have em already. If I can remember correctly there should be a set of drivers you can install for a non-itunes install - that's what I used. Some folks have mentioned similar problems and solutions here in the forum, but I can't recall what they are.
Good luck & Cheers

<edit> Here's the link for the custom drivers:
 http://freemyipod.org/wiki/EmCORE_Installation/iPodClassic/ChooseMethod

Thanks for the info. I am probably too lazy to install the drivers. Good thing is I have already loaded both ipods full with music and I don't really need to access the drives if there is so much trouble. The usb charging appears still working.

Jan 13, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #2,888 of 3,645
Hi all

I was hoping to read the entire thread but gave up at around p.35 and jumped to the last 10 pages...  

Just got a few questions if anyone would mind putting me straight?

1.  Will a RB'd iPod work as normal on docking stations?
2.  How do playlists work on a RB'd iPod?  What playlists can it use?
3.  Does RB offer an equivalent to Smart Playlists?  
4.  Are there any bugs/issues with the latest RB for 160gb Classic?

Many thanks

Max

Jan 15, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #2,889 of 3,645
  Greetings!

I was wondering if someone was able to roll back their Ipod Classic 6G to the apple firmware. I believe it's a little too buggy for me. I have been breaking my head for two days and I can't get iTunes to recognize Rockbox or the Ipod in DFU mode.  I followed the steps on the emCore webpage on how to uninstall it but it just can't happen.  Does anyone have an idea of what could be wrong?  My windows 7 recognized that it has an Ipod in DFU mode inside the device manager but that is pretty much all I get.  Does anyone have the same problem?  Thanks in advance!

Hi, i finally managed it, i installed the latest version of itunes and held down the menu & select keys - it kept rebooting into rockbox until suddenly itunes loaded and decided to restore it. So persistence finally paid off. Maybe the answer is not to open itunes yourself.

Hope you get it to work eventually

d

Jan 19, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #2,891 of 3,645
hi all, long time no post.

I am having issues installing emcore

I get up to the point where I see the recovery drive and copy the .ibu file over, but when I eject the volume, absolutely nothing happens, the ipod keeps the same screen as when it mounted after the reset into recovery mode (after running the bootstrap).

when running the bootstrap the dialog box says theat my device is not functioning properly.

ipod is a 7g, antivirus off and latest .net framework installed. running windows 8.1

help please!

Jan 19, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #2,892 of 3,645

I get up to the point where I see the recovery drive and copy the .ibu file over, but when I eject the volume, absolutely nothing happens, the ipod keeps the same screen as when it mounted after the reset into recovery mode (after running the bootstrap).

when running the bootstrap the dialog box says theat my device is not functioning properly.

ipod is a 7g, antivirus off and latest .net framework installed. running windows 8.1

help please!

Use windows 7:
  ATTENTION:

For those having problems with UMSBoot being stuck at the "booting UBI..." step, I found that it was caused by my Windows 8 machine. All I did was repeat the instructions on a Windows 7 machine, and it proceeded as normal.

Hope this helps someone.

Jan 19, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #2,893 of 3,645

help please!

There's your problem. You need to find a Windows 7 machine. I posted about this a couple of pages back.

Jan 20, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #2,894 of 3,645
This is driving me nuts. I just got a new 160GB classic in today and am trying to put it in DFU mode. Plug it in, close down iTunes, kill all Apple processes, iPod screen shows "Connect, please eject before disconnecting." Hold Menu and Select.. iPod does it's little reboot to the apple logo and then a few seconds later goes black. Release the buttons. Nothing happens on my computer. Running Windows 7. If I try and run the boostrap program it gives an error that no device is found but then a popup says successful and the 60MB drive shows up anyways. At that point the iPod brightens up and there's a small vertical black bar on the left of the screen and the Apple logo with the normal slate background filling the rest. If I copy over the .ubi file and eject the drive nothing happens.

I've turned off Avast.. not sure what else to try.

edit: Tried uninstalling iTunes and associated programs and doing it via the "I don't have iTunes way" where you download the winusb file and do stuff manually. Got the bootstrap to show up on the iPod (little white box) but the 60MB drive doesn't map. Says it installed the driver for the ramdisk, shows up under eject in the task bar, but no drives. Blah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back