Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Dec 31, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #2,866 of 3,645
  just picked up an ipod classic 5g and first thing i did was flash rockbox. loving it so far. but it drains my battery like crazy. are there any optimal settings in the menus i should have to preserve battery life? or if my battery is going bad, any recommendations on a higher capacity battery?

http://download.rockbox.org/daily/manual/rockbox-ipodvideo/rockbox-buildch13.html#x16-35900013.5

I was staring at this today and adjusting this on my Rockboxed iPod when I saw your post.  

Another tip:  You can adjust the top menu (only the top menu) by creating a custom config.cfg file.  Check the manual.  I was accidentally hitting "Recording" all the time (which doesn't make sense with the hardware), so I got rid of the menu item via a config file.

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #2,868 of 3,645

I had the same problem. Use the latest build by alderoan. The links are on the first page.

EDIT: actually, here you go. Make sure you copy the patch files as well as the .rockbox folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b5xbw6cp4ikfxwn/jBMeapJhsP/rockbox-with-patches-a010b7cM-130217.zip

Thank you for this Rockbox version.  My iPod was detected by my Windows 8 PC and I was able to transfer all my music without a hitch.  

With that being said (this is a general question to toss out), does this mean I am limited to this older build (which is what I assume this is?)  Or does anyone know how I can get the newer builds working?

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:49 AM Post #2,869 of 3,645
Just to add to my previous post...I have Googled a bit about how I can sort multiple albums by a single artist by year on Rockbox, but cannot find a proper method.  The best I can do now is see a sorted list of albums by an artist sorted alphabetically.  Is there any sort of program that can re-arrange the albums by year, or will there need to be some tag editing on my end?  All my songs have their respective years associated with them, since I had edited their information when I was previously using iTunes.

Jan 5, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #2,871 of 3,645
maybe someone can shed some light on my situation. i've been using a rockbox ipod 5g fine now for a week. i accidently plugged in the ipod to my pc while the hold switch was on. this booted it into the apple firmware. i press and hold select + menu to reboot with hold switch off. booted into rockbox, now when usb is plug pc doesnt recognize, battery just charges. rebooted into apple firmware, same thing. booted into disk drive, just says "ok to disconnect."

anybody have any ideas why my ipod is not being recognized now by my pc in any mode?

edit: i have tried 3 different cables, usb ports, all known to be working.

edit2: just tried doing everything again but on a macbook. still not recognized.

Jan 6, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #2,872 of 3,645
Greetings!

I was wondering if someone was able to roll back their Ipod Classic 6G to the apple firmware. I believe it's a little too buggy for me. I have been breaking my head for two days and I can't get iTunes to recognize Rockbox or the Ipod in DFU mode.  I followed the steps on the emCore webpage on how to uninstall it but it just can't happen.  Does anyone have an idea of what could be wrong?  My windows 7 recognized that it has an Ipod in DFU mode inside the device manager but that is pretty much all I get.  Does anyone have the same problem?  Thanks in advance!

Jan 7, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #2,874 of 3,645
I love the idea of rockbox, and really wanna try it on my 7th gen classic, but I have some questions first to ask.
1.) I read in the FAQ, that the media won't be erased. But I'm a bit confused - does that mean, that all of the playlists made in iTunes get transfered over to rockbox or is that simply the files stored on the iPod as external HDD? The playlists are very inmportant for me, as well as the whole library, because the iPod is the only place, where I have got my music organized. The iTunes library on my PC got screwed up and I've been using 3rd party software to get music on my iPod ever since .
2.) I do DJ sometimes and I use the iPod and its playlists as a music library. There is the DJ software called "Traktor", which can play directly from the iTunes library. Just like that - you can plug in your iPod in the USB and use it's library instead of iTunes. So my question is - will this feature remain the same? Will the rockboxed iPod playlists appear in Traktor?

Thanks!

Jan 10, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #2,876 of 3,645
  Greetings!

I was wondering if someone was able to roll back their Ipod Classic 6G to the apple firmware. I believe it's a little too buggy for me. I have been breaking my head for two days and I can't get iTunes to recognize Rockbox or the Ipod in DFU mode.  I followed the steps on the emCore webpage on how to uninstall it but it just can't happen.  Does anyone have an idea of what could be wrong?  My windows 7 recognized that it has an Ipod in DFU mode inside the device manager but that is pretty much all I get.  Does anyone have the same problem?  Thanks in advance!

My problem too, any ideas would be welcome

d

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #2,879 of 3,645
  Anyone else having freezing issues with the latest builds? I have to rollback to an almost month old version to get it working properly again

Yup, D/L the daily build yesterday, and every time I go to the playlist menu I get a loud screeching noise and the player freezes. Worked for a while just playing regular tracks, but now the music will play but nothing else works (buttons/display/etc). Rolling back to Jan. 1 build. That one seemed to work fine for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back