Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Dec 12, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #2,851 of 3,645
If you want a thorough reset without deleting any music you can do this:

• Boot your Classic into the emcore menu and launch the backup image.
  • When it's loaded connect to your PC. Remove the entire .rockbox-folder (and .apps and related folders) on your iPod and safely remove the USB-device.
  • Restart the Classic and choose UMSboot from the emcore tools menu.
  • Again connect to your PC and copy the ubi for r859 (even if it's already installed, just a reflash): http://freemyipod.org/wiki/EmCORE_Releases/r859
  • After flashing connect to your PC and copy a new daily build, the font pack and any themes you like.

This is what I did after any build started spinning up the hard disk more than necessary on my Classic. Now it works like it should again :)

Dec 21, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #2,852 of 3,645
Had a similar issue when trying to flash with a Win8 box.  AFAIK after talking with the devs it is a Win8 issue.  I installed a dual-boot of ubuntu on the same laptop that the Win8 install failed and completed the linux install with few hitches tied solely to my lack of experience with linux.  I would recommend that or finding a win 7 or earlier computer in order to complete the install.

Dec 28, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #2,857 of 3,645
Hi guys, I was hoping for some help.

I'm trying to get rockbox on my ipc 6th gen to see if it'll solve a sudden issue I'm having with the line out. Problem is, UMSBoot keeps getting stuck at "Booting ubi file". I've tried several times with several different computers, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Help is appreciated!

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #2,858 of 3,645
ATTENTION:

For those having problems with UMSBoot being stuck at the "booting UBI..." step, I found that it was caused by my Windows 8 machine. All I did was repeat the instructions on a Windows 7 machine, and it proceeded as normal.

Hope this helps someone.

Dec 30, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #2,859 of 3,645
Hello all, I hope someone can help me with my issue.

I've read back through the last 10 pages or so, but I haven't seen anyone reporting this issue.

I've installed the most recent;y nightly, 131230, and it does nothing when I connect it to the PC. Every once in a while, iTunes will pop up, and then it will show it in My Computer as a connected decivce, but with nothing on it. The screen on the iPod is dark as well, and it wont respond to anything.

If I force it to boot up using the fallback image, it works fine, so it seems like it related to the nightly build.

Is there a certain nightly build that is regarded as the most stable?  

Dec 30, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #2,860 of 3,645
  Hello all, I hope someone can help me with my issue.

I've read back through the last 10 pages or so, but I haven't seen anyone reporting this issue.

I've installed the most recent;y nightly, 131230, and it does nothing when I connect it to the PC. Every once in a while, iTunes will pop up, and then it will show it in My Computer as a connected decivce, but with nothing on it. The screen on the iPod is dark as well, and it wont respond to anything.

If I force it to boot up using the fallback image, it works fine, so it seems like it related to the nightly build.

Is there a certain nightly build that is regarded as the most stable?  

I had the same problem. Use the latest build by alderoan. The links are on the first page.

EDIT: actually, here you go. Make sure you copy the patch files as well as the .rockbox folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b5xbw6cp4ikfxwn/jBMeapJhsP/rockbox-with-patches-a010b7cM-130217.zip

Dec 30, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #2,861 of 3,645

I had the same problem. Use the latest build by alderoan. The links are on the first page.

EDIT: actually, here you go. Make sure you copy the patch files as well as the .rockbox folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b5xbw6cp4ikfxwn/jBMeapJhsP/rockbox-with-patches-a010b7cM-130217.zip

You're awesome! Thank you so much!

:EDIT:

Excuse my noobness, but how do i apply the patches exactly? This download doesn't seem to be the same .rockbox format as the other nightlies. 

Dec 30, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #2,862 of 3,645

Aren't the patches just included for reference?  Thought they were already in his builds.  Reckon one could search "patch" in this thread.  I use an old nightly and am sticking to it, as all the problems I had have disappeared.

Dec 30, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #2,863 of 3,645

Aren't the patches just included for reference?  Thought they were already in his builds.  Reckon one could search "patch" in this thread.  I use an old nightly and am sticking to it, as all the problems I had have disappeared.

Yes, I think what you said is correct. A few levels down in that zip is another zip called "rockbox-ipod6g-a010b7cM-130217" and inside there was the .rockbox directory. 

So far, everything looks great. 

Dec 30, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #2,864 of 3,645

I dunno, really. When I copied just the .rockbox directory, it gave me an error after reboot. So I just copied everything.

@KrunkKracker , glad it works.

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #2,865 of 3,645
just picked up an ipod classic 5g and first thing i did was flash rockbox. loving it so far. but it drains my battery like crazy. are there any optimal settings in the menus i should have to preserve battery life? or if my battery is going bad, any recommendations on a higher capacity battery?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back