iPod Classic... DAC and output stage info from Vinnie of RWA
Sep 8, 2007 at 8:04 AM Post #76 of 222
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just when I thought I would never need a standard non-modded ALO dock again. I sold them all!
blink.gif

KEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wink.gif
wink.gif

classic trose
very_evil_smiley.gif

Relax man, take a few deep breaths. Vinnie already said in his opinion the 6g is still clearly behind your iMod, so no need to worrie your stuff is outdated
wink.gif

Sep 8, 2007 at 8:50 AM Post #77 of 222
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymesgalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
classic trose
very_evil_smiley.gif

Relax man, take a few deep breaths. Vinnie already said in his opinion the 6g is still clearly behind your iMod, so no need to worrie your stuff is outdated
wink.gif

LOL!!!

I still am confused. Is the 6G as good as an iMOD with NO V-DOCK? and just a standard iMOD cable. If so it would see like a great portable indeed.

Of course I will keep the V-Dock/5.5G iMod for home for now! but I want answers.

Vin says he likes it not as much as with the V-dock but we need more data!

Sep 8, 2007 at 9:04 AM Post #78 of 222
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iMod docks can be used with regular iPods as well; Ken said so himself.

Are u Sure? Oh yeah Cant use an iMOD in a normal dock but you can use a normal ipod with a modded dock! ( I still dont get it but ok!)

HMMMM Any sound degradation or does it zip by the caps all together.

I love you MULE!

Sep 8, 2007 at 1:09 PM Post #79 of 222
Vinnie clearly stated that he feels 5/5.5 imod w/ imod cable is better in SQ than the stock classic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinnie R. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This time, I even tested it using a dock cable with the Black Gate caps with 5.5G iMod and still preferred that over the 6G line-out, but even more so with the Vcap Dock + 5.5G iMod combo.
5G/5.5G iMod with ALO Vcap Dock > 5G/5.5G iMod with ALO dock cable (black gates) > stock 6G line out > stock 5G/5.5G line out

Sep 8, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #80 of 222
I apologize for freaking out! I missed this when skimming the thread to begin with!

Quote:

Originally Posted by VinnieR
5G/5.5G iMod with ALO Vcap Dock > 5G/5.5G iMod with ALO dock cable (black gates) > stock 6G line out > stock 5G/5.5G line out

Sep 8, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #83 of 222
All,

The Apple Dac chip appears to have an integrated push-pull output stage built into it. It runs on +/- voltage rails, so this is why they don't use coupling caps after the dac... there is no dc offset voltage to block.

So picture a dac + opamp output stage (for both the line-out and headphone output) all in one chip.

This approach is cleaner than the previous iPods line outs and headphone outs (except for the headphone out of the 1st gen shuffle, which is reported to have the same sort of design).

From what I am hearing with my 6G -- Compared to the line out of the stock 4G, 5G, and 5.5G units, the line-out of the 6G is certainly closer to that of the 5.5G iMod using the ALO iMod dock cable... black gates), ... but do I believe once people do the comparions between the iMod and the line out of the 6G, you'll hear where the line out of the 6G falls short. Its a little thinner sounding and not quite as warm. When you use the Vcap dock with the 5G/5.5G iMod, it is even easier to hear the gap in performance between them.

Quote:

So now the question is, do I run and get one of the $450 80 Gb iModded iPods from Ken w/ one of his docs for a total of around $600. Or do I just get a 6 Gen 160 Gb iPod Classic for $350 and use my ALO Six Shooter?

Since I could sell my ALO Six Shooter for about $65 the difference would only be about $200.

I see on the ALO website that Ken just put up a package deal... the 80GB 5.5G iMod + iMod Dock cable for $575. This is very sweet package deal, and I'm sure he'll do something similar with the Vcap docks.

If your priority is getting the very best sound, the 5.5G iMod is the way to go. If your priority is getting 160GB, the 6G offers that, but...

... speaking of 160GB, the drive in the 160GB iPod is the Toshiba MK1626GCB. Does anyone know where these can be purchased online? I like to try it in my 80GB 5.5G iMod, just to verify it will work because there is growing interest in having this done. I can try calling Toshiba on Monday, but I doubt they will sell in small quantities
rolleyes.gif

Best regards,

Vinnie

Sep 8, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #84 of 222
Quote:

Originally Posted by rxc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder where the 6G with a V-Dock would rank.

You wouldn't want to do this because you don't need the Vcap in the signal path with the 6G... just the 5G/5.5G iMod.

To maximize the sound of the 6G line out, go with a very high quality iPod Line-Out Dock Cable.

Sep 8, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #85 of 222
I wonder when will we be able to buy a dedicated Vcap dock for the 6th gen, and how good it will sound.

EDIT: just read Vinnie's explanation. Thanks

Sep 8, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #87 of 222
Quote:

All,

If your priority is getting the very best sound, the 5.5G iMod is the way to go. If your priority is getting 160GB, the 6G offers that, but...

... speaking of 160GB, the drive in the 160GB iPod is the Toshiba MK1626GCB. Does anyone know where these can be purchased online? I like to try it in my 80GB 5.5G iMod, just to verify it will work because there is growing interest in having this done. I can try calling Toshiba on Monday, but I doubt they will sell in small quantities
rolleyes.gif

Best regards,

Vinnie

I heard that availability and price wise you might be better of just buying an iPod for the 160GB HD. It atleast goes for over $250. And Im almost sure you can get the $100 back by selling the body without the HD or close to it. Plus you can get it now as opposed to hunting and searching for one for months. And if you slipped int he 80 GB.... well someone would be really confused. I thought the 80GB 6G is only .43" thick. Yeah about that.....

So Im not too sure but it seems the best way to secure the HD is just to buy the iPod.

Sep 8, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #88 of 222
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

Vinnie, engadget was told they are shipping 'samples' ... but my guess is that means to large manufacturers
smily_headphones1.gif
Can we pretend head-fi is one large manufacturer? We currently have 59,104 workers!
http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/06/t...-1-8-inch-dis/

I'm guessing you bought the 80gb classic Vinnie.

Is anyone located near Vinnie would would be willing to take in their new 160gb classic to him for HD swapability testing? If not, I'm sure someone would be willing to send theirs in to you.

Sep 8, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #89 of 222
I didnt notice any Cache memory Specs on the Classic? I know the 5G 30gb had half the cache mem the 80gb version did.

So is it safe to assume their may be extra cache in the 160gb version thus the extra batt life etc.

If you drop a 160 in an 80gb will it have enough cache?

Sep 8, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #90 of 222
Quote:

Originally Posted by gnychis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vinnie, engadget was told they are shipping 'samples' ... but my guess is that means to large manufacturers
smily_headphones1.gif
Can we pretend head-fi is one large manufacturer? We currently have 59,104 workers!

Do we get a pension?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back