iPod Classic... DAC and output stage info from Vinnie of RWA
Sep 8, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #61 of 222
Seems like a simple lineout to lineout would give us a starting point no?

Question really is a 6GB lineout better or worse than a 5.5G lineout stock and then is a 6gb Line out vs a 5.5 imod (no V-dock) better or worse ?

Sep 8, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #63 of 222
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with the self compare. But if the path is too short for Vinnie to shorten but the Dac is not as good seems like an imod would still sound better than a 6G even without a V-Dock..

It seems they're entirely different output stages. The capacitors that are replaced in the iMod process and the problems they bring appear to just not exist in the design of the Classic. The Classic may still sound worse for other reasons (DAC, etc) but that's really just speculation at this point.

Sep 8, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #64 of 222
Quote:

Seems like a simple lineout to lineout would give us a starting point no?

Question really is a 6GB lineout better or worse than a 5.5G lineout stock and then is a 6gb Line out vs a 5.5 imod (no V-dock) better or worse ?

Yes, it's that kind of impressions that are currently lacking. I have a Classic myself but no access to any 5.5G iModded or otherwise.

Sep 8, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #65 of 222
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it's that kind of impressions that are currently lacking. I have a Classic myself but no access to any 5.5G iModded or otherwise.

IC so we are on the same page relatively, I read a few more of Vins posts elsewhere and get the impression he is pretty happy with the 6G sound.

Thats good for us and bad for Redwine I would say.

How about the iTOUCH I would guess if APPLE now makes or re-brands a DAC it's in all the new toys? Even though the storage is so low I would wait for the next higher Flash Memory but would love to know whats in the NANO and the iTOUCH?

Sep 8, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #66 of 222
Vinnie,

Got an idea: Kudos to the first person (As well as a TON of sales) who can add an optical line out to the iPod 6G. I say strip the headphone jack out of the iPod and put a mini optical output in its place. I bet you could do it! Might take some serious effort, but anything worthwhile does.
wink.gif

I'm pretty unhappy with my stock 5G sound. It's amazing how bad it distorts even with lossless files, LOD, silver cable, etc. When the signal gets close to peaking, it compresses the soundstage and distorts. It's really quite awful. If the 6G doesn't do that, I'm in for one. Although I'd much prefer a DAP with an optical or USB line out, as I mentioned above.

Sep 8, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #67 of 222
Quote:

IC so we are on the same page relatively, I read a few more of Vins posts elsewhere and get the impression he is pretty happy with the 6G sound.

Thats good for us and bad for Redwine I would say.

Pretty much. It's good Apple is now making a product with fewer flaws requiring third party fixes but changes like this often hit the enterprising few like Vinnie who fix things Apple should have in the first place.

Quote:

How about the iTOUCH I would guess if APPLE now makes or re-brands a DAC it's in all the new toys? Even though the storage is so low I would wait for the next higher Flash Memory but would love to know whats in the NANO and the iTOUCH?

Yes, we need more autopsy pics!
icon10.gif

I'd guess you are right, I think all new iPods will have Apple branded DACs. Many companies do this so they can switch suppliers if a part maker starts ramping up prices on a popular product. It costs more to design a chip to begin with but generic chip foundries are cheaper to work with in the long run.

Sep 8, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #68 of 222
So now the question is, do I run and get one of the $450 80 Gb iModded iPods from Ken w/ one of his docs for a total of around $600. Or do I just get a 6 Gen 160 Gb iPod Classic for $350 and use my ALO Six Shooter?
confused.gif

Since I could sell my ALO Six Shooter for about $65 the difference would only be about $200.

Sep 8, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #69 of 222
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vinnie,

Got an idea: Kudos to the first person (As well as a TON of sales) who can add an optical line out to the iPod 6G. I say strip the headphone jack out of the iPod and put a mini optical output in its place. I bet you could do it! Might take some serious effort, but anything worthwhile does.
wink.gif

Vinnie already commented on that idea. There's already a company doing that and look what they charge.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3257698&postcount=52

Sep 8, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #70 of 222
I'm a little disappoint that G6 has no room for improving sq,and it's still behind 5.5G+Black gate dock. But Vinnie is so sincere that I hope that Apple
would have been screwed up agian, so Vinnie would make it right.

Sep 8, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #73 of 222
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any word of the relative sound quality of the new Nano?

I've been playing with it all day. I'm having trouble hearing much difference between the new Nano and my 1g shuffle. Perhaps my methods are faulty, and I am pretty biased toward the shuffle, but I keep second guessing myself. The one thing I can say for certain, if there is any hiss on the 3g Nano it's of the nearly imperceptible sort (using my e500's). It's no replacement for a supermicro mind you, but what do you expect? If it proves to come close to the Shuffle, we should be thrilled.

I really like this little thing. I'm afraid cover flow may be cumbersome on something as large as the classic, but it's awesome on the Nano. I also love the new interface- very nice to see album covers float by and so on. The screen is big enough for me to have enjoyed 2 episodes of The Office while sitting in a waiting room today. This is like the perfect little workhorse player- tiny and does everything. Now if they just could have bumped it to 16gb.....

Sep 8, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #74 of 222
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple don't normally release specs of their proprietary chips. Personally though I suspect it actually is a Wolfson designed DAC either made under license by Apple or used a a module inside a larger chip designed to match Apple's requirements. That sort of thing happens all the time in the semiconductor industry.

Then it's probable that when it comes to the DAC, the 6g is for all intents and purposes identical to the 5.5g. That's what I suspected too. I can't imagine them improving the headphone out and then cheaping out on the DAC. That makes no sense. Well, that tells me what to use my $100 iPhone credit on.

See ya
Steve

Sep 8, 2007 at 7:15 AM Post #75 of 222
Quote:

Just when I thought I would never need a standard non-modded ALO dock again. I sold them all!
blink.gif

KEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wink.gif
wink.gif

iMod docks can be used with regular iPods as well; Ken said so himself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back