iPod Classic... DAC and output stage info from Vinnie of RWA
Sep 13, 2007 at 12:37 PM Post #151 of 222
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinnie R. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but do I believe once people do the comparions between the iMod and the line out of the 6G, you'll hear where the line out of the 6G falls short. Its a little thinner sounding and not quite as warm.

Hi Vinnie,

I can confirm this observation as well after many times listening and comparing the 5G and 6G. The 6G has an audible uplift in the treble region, but is also less "harmonic", also w.r.t. its line output.

I did some measurements to find a cause, and I think the codec has some non-linearities:
http://www.hifivoice.com/audio/ipod/...surements.html

Enclosed are some measurement pictures (Classic in red, 5G in blue), first frequency response of the headphone output, then the line output, and finally the step responses.

The measurements clearly show why the iPod Classic sounds less warm.

Marc

Sep 13, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #152 of 222
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hifivoice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Vinnie,

I can confirm this observation as well after many times listening and comparing the 5G and 6G. The 6G has an audible uplift in the treble region, but is also less "harmonic", also w.r.t. its line output.

I did some measurements to find a cause, and I think the codec has some non-linearities:

Enclosed are some measurement pictures (Classic in red, 5G in blue), first frequency response of the headphone output, then the line output, and finally the step responses.

Marc

ugh, thats not very pretty... I think my little brother would love it though. I really wonder how the 1st gen Shuffle compares now.

Sep 13, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #153 of 222
Hi,

Interesting topic and results but why can I not hear any noticeable different with my shure E500PTH / SE530PTH when swapping inputs between 5g and classic? (been listening 10 years to music, jazz, metal, rock, pop, classical and my mp3 quality is –v2 or –v1 lame normally).

I do believe the results and what people are saying but I think it has to do a lot with perception (placebo) and what size headphones you are driving.

However from the measurements it does seem the DAC is worse and a firmware update could fix some issues.

Sep 13, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #154 of 222
Quote:

Hi Vinnie,

Marc

Welcome, HiFivoice -- and THANKS for your link to the FR measurements... NICE WORK!
cool.gif

The more I listen to the line-out of the 6G (in comparo to the 5.5G iMod) the more I hear a thinner sound and less bass weights and fullness. It is also "flatter" sounding (less 3D), which might very well be the result of the timing issues that you measured.

The thinner sound mostly likely has something to do with the peaking in the top-end that you measured, and maybe other things.

I am not measuring the bass rolloff that I see in your plots... I'm curious about this.
blink.gif

Thanks again!

Vinnie

Sep 13, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #155 of 222
so 6G is reli degraded from 5.5/5G!!?? rather than bein cleaner n better SQ-wise as stated before?
confused.gif

i was just about to buy it tomorrow....
blink.gif

hope apple would offer an update to fix these soon....
plainface.gif

Sep 13, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #156 of 222
Quote:

Hi Vinnie,

Marc

Marc, thanks sincerely for doing that. They are certainly interesting and insightful, so your time and skill is appreciated!

Though the measurements fans will call this 'conclusive proof' while the feelings people will say they are completely invalid!
wink.gif

Sep 13, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #157 of 222
Huh?! This confuses me. Does the G6 now sound worse than its predecessor?
Vinnie, you stated before that G6 sound better, at line-out as well as headphone out... not right anymore? ^^

Sep 13, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #158 of 222
ok i tested my classic vs my asus xonar soundcard out with my shure E500PTH / SE530PTH headphones and some high quality wav sound ripped from cd just for this
smily_headphones1.gif

all i can say is that the only difference I can hear is that the classic does indeed have higher highs (mhhh) or something.

bass sounds superb on both (as in amazing drums etc.) and overall sound quality is not much worse or better then my soundcard appart from the higher highs it seems...

ipod sounds amazing

Sep 13, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #159 of 222
Quote:

I am not measuring the bass rolloff that I see in your plots... I'm curious about this.
blink.gif

Note that the scale of the curve is 1dB. So the fall-off looks steeper than usual curves. I also guess the PowerMac G5 input line is not completely flat.

Marc

Sep 13, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #160 of 222
Hifivoice, you could use REW (a java application used to equalize a subwoofer fro a specific room with a parametric equalizer) in order to check the soundcard response from line out to line in, just in order to know what degree of variation is present from it.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/

This is accomplished with a simple loopback between input and output. Of course it won't be perfect, since you would be checking teh full i/o instead of just the line in, but it can give you a good idea.

Sep 13, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #161 of 222
Quote:

Originally Posted by Artemio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hifivoice, you could use REW (a java application used to equalize a subwoofer fro a specific room with a parametric equalizer) in order to check the soundcard response from line out to line in, just in order to know what degree of variation is present from it.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/

This is accomplished with a simple loopback between input and output. Of course it won't be perfect, since you would be checking teh full i/o instead of just the line in, but it can give you a good idea.

I wasn't interested in an absolute measurement, but more into a measurements that would reveal differences between the iPod Classic and 5G.

Fuzzmeasure provides possibilities to correct for sound card anomalies, but availability of time prevented me from going through the whole correction procedure.

Marc

Sep 13, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #162 of 222
Quote:

Originally Posted by Milk and Coffee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vinnie, you stated before that G6 sound better, at line-out as well as headphone out... not right anymore? ^^

I still say that the headphone output of the 6G sounds better than the headphone output of the stock 4G and 5G/5.5G units. I don't hear ANY bass roll-off, and I don't measure ANY bass rolloff... even with a brutal 8-ohm load.

With regards to the headphone output ANDthe line out of the 6G, to me they both also sound more clear and detailed than the stock 4G and 5G/5.5G line outs. However, the stock 4G and 5G/5.5 lineout sounds a little warmer, but less transparent overall. The stock 4G and 5G/5.5G lineouts also have a little more output voltage, so you need to level match the best you can when doing direct comparisons.

The 5G/5.5G iMod definitely sounds the best, especially with the V-cap dock. The sound is very transparent, the top end is sweet (warm, but still detailed and never sounds harsh... well except with crappy recordings). The bass has more weight to it, and the overall sound is less thin and very well-balanced.

I hope to see more posts from others comparing the 4G, 5G, 6G, modded units, etc. and stating what they are hearing. We all have different equipment, different tastes, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amb
Just thinking out loud here, but perhaps it's possible that output coupling caps are present on the 6G, on-chip? Normally on standalone, general purpose DAC chips, this is not done because capacitors take up a lot of die space, and they want to keep it external to give designers maximum flexibility. However, in this highly application-specific, Apple-branded chip, it may be feasible...

I highly doubt there are caps built into this chip... it is not big enough and I would surely measure bass rolloff into an 8-ohm load using the headphone output if this was the case.

Quote:

Note that the scale of the curve is 1dB. So the fall-off looks steeper than usual curves. I also guess the PowerMac G5 input line is not completely flat.

Hi Marc,

I see... thanks. Actually, I don't know if I didn't have enough coffee this morning or what, but that peak in the top end actually doesn't look that bad (0.5dB is not much, especially at such a high frequency that our headphones or ears might not even be able to hear
tongue.gif
).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinnie R.
The thinner sound mostly likely has something to do with the peaking in the top-end that you measured, and maybe other things.

Like I just said, I must of not carefully looked at this plot (I was extremely busy today and in a big rush in general today). I don't think that the moderate peaking has much to do with my impressions I quoted above. I think it is just the overall sound of this dac + built-in output stage... whoever makes this part!

I see some posts where people are calling it a Cirrus Logic part. I do not see a Cirrus part anywhere on that board, and that dac certainly says "APPLE" so where is this talk about Cirrus coming from? I must be missing something
blink.gif
Any info would be appreciated.

Quote:

Though the measurements fans will call this 'conclusive proof' while the feelings people will say they are completely invalid!

Hi unclejr,

I like to see measurements just like any other engineer, but I believe they do not tell the whole story and they do not tell me if I am going to like the sound of what is being measured. The "feelings people" are the ones who listen and decide what sounds correct based on what they hear, not what they see in a graph. Also, not all graphs show you how a piece of equipment is going to interact with another piece of equipment (e.g. headphones or your headphone amp). There are many variables
rolleyes.gif

Cheers!

Vinnie

Sep 14, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #163 of 222
Quote:

Originally Posted by Milk and Coffee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Versus the iMod.

Sep 14, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #164 of 222
Quote:

Hi unclejr,

I like to see measurements just like any other engineer, but I believe they do not tell the whole story and they do not tell me if I am going to like the sound of what is being measured. The "feelings people" are the ones who listen and decide what sounds correct based on what they hear, not what they see in a graph. Also, not all graphs show you how a piece of equipment is going to interact with another piece of equipment (e.g. headphones or your headphone amp). There are many variables
rolleyes.gif

Cheers!

Vinnie

Just a little friendly gibe at two extremes. It is my hope for myself at least to fall somewhere in that happy medium in the middle, as you described!

Sep 14, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #165 of 222
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef Medeski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Versus the iMod.

If you mean its predecessor being the iMod, I don't think it will touch it soon. As for the 5G, I'm still very certain that it sounds better judging by the response of almost everyone's ears in comparison. It does have different sonic flaws though that may cause it to be more fatiguing and possibly have some treble coming at the right moment issues from what I gather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back