iPod Classic 7G 240GB
Jan 31, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #91 of 130
Quote:
I've been skimming this thread, and I'm a bit confused.  Is it possible to put a 240gb drive in my iPod classic 6th generation?  It is the thick model.  My drive died and I'm not completely happy with the iPod touch sound quality.  I was thinking of trying to mod my classic because i want lossless files on my ipod anyway.  Please tell me this is possible...

Not possible on the thick model, it will only read one of the platters which means it will only have 120gb of storage capacity.

Jan 31, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #92 of 130
Quote:
Not possible on the thick model, it will only read one of the platters which means it will only have 120gb of storage capacity.

:-/  too bad.  i'll have to stick with my pathetic 64gib touch for now.  The drive has been getting worse on my 160gb classic.  I've had it for five years and dropped it a few times, so I'd actually give apple props for the drives they use.  I'm in IT, so I know how drives work... they shouldn't be dropped when moving. :p  Well, ever for that matter, but you know...

I've been finding more and more bad sectors and I've been able to sync increasingly smaller amounts of music.  I'm down to about 20 songs.  When it hits the bad sectors it freezes itunes and the ipod.  The cool thing is that I know it started dying about two years ago, but the ipod did an incredible job of setting aside the bad sectors and letting me continue using it.  However, anytime it hit a bad sector it would temporarily freeze.  I saw this increasing in rate over the last 2 years, until now, when it finally is on it's last leg.  And the boot diagnostics reflect this exactly as well.

Anyhow, a bit off topic.  Needless to say, I would be happy with another 160 gig, but I don't want to buy another one.  Apple said they would give me a refurbished one for $150 if I send mine in.  I don't like the idea of a refurbished drive.  Who knows how many times it has been dropped or damaged.  I'm sure they test them, but it doesn't always show it is bad if it is in process of failing.

Otherwise, I'm not aware of any reasonably small extremely large players of the same quality.  I thought about buying a drive to put in myself (easy), but I don't know if I want to pay $80 or so for a random drive on ebay that again might not be mint... :-/  Come on apple.  Make a 128gig touch at least!!!  Screw the "cloud". :p

Jan 31, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #93 of 130
Quote:
:-/  too bad.  i'll have to stick with my pathetic 64gib touch for now.  The drive has been getting worse on my 160gb classic.  I've had it for five years and dropped it a few times, so I'd actually give apple props for the drives they use.  I'm in IT, so I know how drives work... they shouldn't be dropped when moving. :p  Well, ever for that matter, but you know...

I've been finding more and more bad sectors and I've been able to sync increasingly smaller amounts of music.  I'm down to about 20 songs.  When it hits the bad sectors it freezes itunes and the ipod.  The cool thing is that I know it started dying about two years ago, but the ipod did an incredible job of setting aside the bad sectors and letting me continue using it.  However, anytime it hit a bad sector it would temporarily freeze.  I saw this increasing in rate over the last 2 years, until now, when it finally is on it's last leg.  And the boot diagnostics reflect this exactly as well.

Anyhow, a bit off topic.  Needless to say, I would be happy with another 160 gig, but I don't want to buy another one.  Apple said they would give me a refurbished one for $150 if I send mine in.  I don't like the idea of a refurbished drive.  Who knows how many times it has been dropped or damaged.  I'm sure they test them, but it doesn't always show it is bad if it is in process of failing.

Otherwise, I'm not aware of any reasonably small extremely large players of the same quality.  I thought about buying a drive to put in myself (easy), but I don't know if I want to pay $80 or so for a random drive on ebay that again might not be mint... :-/  Come on apple.  Make a 128gig touch at least!!!  Screw the "cloud". :p

Those drives are cheap, pick one off eBay or install a 80gb or slim 160gb with a new back cover and that will make your iPod slimmer.. But you will need a new ribbon cable and they go for less than $5 on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MK1626GCB-1-8-160GB-HDD-FOR-iPod-Classic-6th-Gen-Replace-HS161JQ-Hard-Drive-/200881466817?pt=US_Internal_Hard_Disk_Drives&hash=item2ec577edc1

Jan 31, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #94 of 130
Quote:
Those drives are cheap, pick one off eBay or install a 80gb or slim 160gb with a new back cover and that will make your iPod slimmer.. But you will need a new ribbon cable and they go for less than $5 on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MK1626GCB-1-8-160GB-HDD-FOR-iPod-Classic-6th-Gen-Replace-HS161JQ-Hard-Drive-/200881466817?pt=US_Internal_Hard_Disk_Drives&hash=item2ec577edc1

That's not bad.  So is that the same drive in the 7th gen and it requires the cable because of that?  

Feb 4, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #97 of 130
Ive owned 2 original classics and bought a 240GB from a chinese ebay seller callled goldenpe. They are real parts, running the real os, and have only the HDD replaced. The seller was also great for communication.

Check this thread for reassurance champ. You'll find plenty of photos from real users including mine.. Feel free to ask any questions you need answering.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/604266/review-modded-ipod-classic-7g-with-240gb-hdd-from-ebay

Mar 3, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #99 of 130
Quote:
Ive owned 2 original classics and bought a 240GB from a chinese ebay seller callled goldenpe. They are real parts, running the real os, and have only the HDD replaced. The seller was also great for communication.

Check this thread for reassurance champ. You'll find plenty of photos from real users including mine.. Feel free to ask any questions you need answering.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/604266/review-modded-ipod-classic-7g-with-240gb-hdd-from-ebay

Also wanted to put my name out there as well. I recently started a small business specifically making 240GB 7th Gen iPod Classics from all new components. I wanted to echo what D2000 said about using real parts, running the real OS, etc. I use all new parts, and I'm able to sell from the US (not China) which makes communication easier. This iPod is functionally equivalent to a 160GB iPod, only that it's 240GB instead.

If anyone is considering a 240GB iPod, I would recommend a 7th Gen Classic purely for the Genius feature. It can really help if you have to manage 240GB worth of music.

I have a listing that recently sold on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261174835929?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2649

Right now a buddy of mine is selling one for me. Identical product, listing here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151005209820?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

If that listing sells before you guys get to read this, please feel free to contact me to make arrangements, either here or by email: newt.tsai at gmail.

Cheers! hope that helped.

Mar 7, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #100 of 130
Minor bump.

Just want to clarify something. If I get the toshiba 240 drive for the 7th gen classic (latest one) do I need a new back plate?

Cheers

Mar 7, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #101 of 130
Quote:
Minor bump.

Just want to clarify something. If I get the toshiba 240 drive for the 7th gen classic (latest one) do I need a new back plate?

Cheers

You will need new backplate (on eBay you can find them with the 240 GB letters printed, battery for the 60gb or 80gb 5.5th gen iPod and also the hold switch/headphone jack ribbon cable.  That's all needed.

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #102 of 130
Quote:
You will need new backplate (on eBay you can find them with the 240 GB letters printed, battery for the 60gb or 80gb 5.5th gen iPod and also the hold switch/headphone jack ribbon cable.  That's all needed.

Reason being that the 240GB MK2431GAH is thicker than the original 160GB (thin) drive that you probably have in your 7th Gen. You don't have to buy a backplate labelled 240GB necessarily, just get a backplate for the iPod Classic (thick), usually 6th Gen.

Good luck with your mod, if you decide to proceed. Be very careful though, the battery connector on the logic board is EXTREMELY fragile. Even now with my considerable experience I'm still very hesitant to open up a perfectly working iPod, just in case something goes wrong and you end up with a $60 bill for a new logic board or something.

If you'd really like to do this mod, my recommendation would be to first purchase a broken iPod Classic for cheap, take it apart, and try it again on yours, or if you don't quite have the time, you may consider selling your old iPod and simply buying a sleek new 240GB iPod that's already upgraded for you.

www.MappleSyrup.webs.com has some great ones.

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #103 of 130
Question for the guys who own the iPod 7th generation upgraded to 240gb, after upgraded can you still use the headset features like play/pause and volume +/- just before doing replacing the back plate to the fat one and the headphone jack? Or do you guys use the same headphone jack the ipod came with.

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #104 of 130
Quote:
Question for the guys who own the iPod 7th generation upgraded to 240gb, after upgraded can you still use the headset features like play/pause and volume +/- just before doing replacing the back plate to the fat one and the headphone jack? Or do you guys use the same headphone jack the ipod came with.

All headset features still function in my model :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back