iPod Battery: The Definitive Word
Nov 8, 2005 at 1:29 AM Post #31 of 69
I'm interested in replacing my iPod with the Battery Service provided by Apple. However, I was wondering what iPod it will be replaced with. I have a 3rd generation now, will they replace it with a 3rd generation? Or will it be a 5th?

Much thanks.

Nov 8, 2005 at 1:31 PM Post #32 of 69
I'm not sure if they still have 3G iPods around (I could be wrong) but the apple service is expen$ive. You should really just order the kit from my above post. I only takes 10min to change the battery yourself, and with their supplied tools there are NO scratches or damage done.

Spend the extra $70 saved on something worthwhile. IMHO, the Apple service is a waste.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuks
I'm interested in replacing my iPod with the Battery Service provided by Apple. However, I was wondering what iPod it will be replaced with. I have a 3rd generation now, will they replace it with a 3rd generation? Or will it be a 5th?

Much thanks.

Nov 8, 2005 at 2:19 PM Post #33 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by markkr
I'm not sure if they still have 3G iPods around (I could be wrong) but the apple service is expen$ive. You should really just order the kit from my above post. I only takes 10min to change the battery yourself, and with their supplied tools there are NO scratches or damage done.

Spend the extra $70 saved on something worthwhile. IMHO, the Apple service is a waste.

Hey Mark - I watched the installation video; it certainly looks easy. Did you have any problems opening the iPod case? Were there any issues reseating the HDD connector or closing the iPod Case back up? Thanks for the info; I think I may be purchasing one soon.

Nov 8, 2005 at 3:05 PM Post #34 of 69
Getting the case open was the hardest part, but instructions were accurate.

Mentally, you have to overcome the fear of pulling and prying on your iPod harder than you think you should. I have ZERO scratches or evidence that I opened the case. Just follow the directions word for word.

The HDD connector was no big deal and closing the case back up was easy.

Just be careful and you cant go wrong.

-Mark

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
Hey Mark - I watched the installation video; it certainly looks easy. Did you have any problems opening the iPod case? Were there any issues reseating the HDD connector or closing the iPod Case back up? Thanks for the info; I think I may be purchasing one soon.

Nov 8, 2005 at 6:31 PM Post #35 of 69
Well the reason I'm looking at the battery service is because there's basic wear and tear but my screen has one deep scratch in it. For anyone who has used this, how much of a hassle is the Battery Service, are there alot of hidden charges and stuff, and also, what are the chances that I will get a 4th or 5th (preferably 5th) generation iPod. If I'm going to get another 3rd, I'll just get a new battery, as what I really want are some of the new features on the iPods.
Thanks everyone

May 19, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #37 of 69
I'm a bit slow on the uptake guys, so bear with me...

My 3G (told ya) iPod has been suffering these kinds of problems for a while now. Does this mean that if I put it in to the battery replacement programme at the grand cost of $59+shipping that I'll get a brand new iPod 5G? Or will I get a refurbed 3G/4G?

Just wondering as I'm gonna sell up my iPod to by an X5, and if I can get a brand new one for $59, it means I'll end up with a lot more NET to spend on an X5
580smile.gif

Jan 28, 2007 at 7:10 AM Post #43 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well the reason I'm looking at the battery service is because there's basic wear and tear but my screen has one deep scratch in it. For anyone who has used this, how much of a hassle is the Battery Service, are there alot of hidden charges and stuff, and also, what are the chances that I will get a 4th or 5th (preferably 5th) generation iPod. If I'm going to get another 3rd, I'll just get a new battery, as what I really want are some of the new features on the iPods.
Thanks everyone

In regard to the one deep scratch on your iPod, a simple cure: Buy a pack of re-adhesable screen protector films for your ipod (available at Best Buy, Future Shop, Circuit City etc.). The adhesive on one side of the film actually fills the scratches on your ipod screen. My roommate has a 30 gig video that he had with him everyday unprotected in his pocket at work for several months, with his keys, change etc. His screen is so scratched, that when the backlight is on, the light is deflected at every possible angle over the entire screen, giving it that light-through-a-crystal look. I gave him one of the films I got for my new 80 gig, and now, even when held up to light, theres not a single visible scratch on it. It looks like it came right out of the box. Best 16 bucks I ever spent.

Jan 30, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #44 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan the man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know who sells the best, highest capacity battery for the 4th Gen iPod???

same question, but with 5g ipod (is there anyway to get my 5G ipod to have the same battery life as a 5.5g ipod or better?)

and btw, how do you guys find out WHEN you need to replace your battery? or is it a personal thing?

Mar 6, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #45 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan the man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know who sells the best, highest capacity battery for the 4th Gen iPod???

I was wondering the same thing earlier today...after several google searches, I finally decided to pay a little more and order the top of the line replacement from iPodJuice.com. The battery I ordered is 1200 mAh and is supposed to last 2x as long as the original 4G battery.

Other sites had cheaper batteries, but the highest capacity I could find (excluding iPodJuice.com) was 1100 mAh.

Another reason I went with iPodJuice.com was that the quality of the tools they supply to open the iPod case seemed to be of much higher quality than the competitors.

I should have the battery in a few days; I'll repost with my impressions.

-Clay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back