iPod Battery: The Definitive Word
Nov 5, 2004 at 8:24 PM Post #16 of 69
Correct, as I understand it, once the charge is complete, the ipod is 100% ac and the battery is idle.

So according to the battery life faq, discharging the ipod completely will drain the battery faster than just short uses. I use my ipod battery at work too, so in that interest I have it on a charger while at work so the battery is not being used. If I'm going to be stationary while listening to the ipod and have access to power, I'll make it a point to be on ac power instead of discharging the battery. Hopefully my battery will last a long time.

Nov 15, 2004 at 11:43 AM Post #17 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by PatM
For reasons other than the battery, I decided to do a complete restore of the iPod as a way to defrag the drive. This is easy for me, since I use a Mac and auto sync the iPod anyway.

In any event, my battery seems to have been restored to full power. After two weeks (since the restore) I am back to getting around 10 hours of play time. The battery indicator stays pegged at full for at least two hours. Perhaps this will relapse to the old behavior in a while, I really cannot say. Maybe the drive was really fragged and the restore makes life easier on the Pod.

Nonetheless, it is something to try if you find your aging iPod losing some juice.

Pat, thanks a lot for this information! It possibly just saved me £30 for a new battery, as my iPod started to drain the charge in less than 2 hours all of a sudden. I've also noticed that the HD was spinning when the iPod was charged from the power adapter. After I've done "restore to the factory settings" my battery is seems to be back to normal capacity, iPod is silent during the charge and doesn't get hot (as it did before the restore).

Alex

Nov 29, 2004 at 6:55 AM Post #18 of 69
My G2 iPod's stamina has steadily waned in the twenty two months I've been making it do its thing almost daily. Flying with it a couple times in the past week, I was soon left bored and unsatisfied as it did its narcoleptic routine. I tested it tonight, draining it from a full charge in two hours fifty-four minutes, and that under rather unrealisticly ideal conditions. Not going to cut it.

So anyway, I just ordered a Newer Technology NuPower 2100mAh replacement battery ... I'll let you know if it really does the twenty-plus hour thing. Ooh, I can't wait.

Now I just need to rerip. Must look for threads on the prevailing sentiment so regarding. ...

kerely

Dec 23, 2004 at 2:08 AM Post #19 of 69
do any of you know what the life is of the LED lights in the 3rd gen ipods? because if i want to replace the battery instead of getting a minidisc player and then as soon as that happens the light goes out, what would i do? they dont have replacements?

Feb 19, 2005 at 3:34 AM Post #21 of 69
Q: Apple only released their battery replacement service because of all the bad publicity from iPod's Dirty Secret.

A: While often claimed, this couldn't be further from the truth. Apple released the battery replacement program November 14, 2003. ipodsdirtysecret.com was only registered on November 20, 2003, and started being heavily publicized on November 21, 2003. Additionally, Apple had been planning the AppleCare programs for months - these types of service programs don't just happen overnight - before Casey Neistat even had his first contact with Apple. The video campaign had nothing to do with Apple's rollout of the battery replacement program. Further reading.

Pulled from http://www.ipodbatteryfaq.com/#18

-Alex

Mar 30, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #22 of 69
After over 15 months, it is very much time to unsticky this post and let it DIE

Can I get a yay or nay from the crowd on this motion?
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #25 of 69
I have a question, I have an Ipod mini and I was getting good battery life while using just a direct earphone to source system. I just added a CMoy to the mix and now I am finding that my Ipod drains really fast, in fact it seems to be draining at an alarming rate of 1 to 2 hours, sometimes less. Is this due to the amp putting a drain on the Ipod, if so, what can I do to aleviate this? Or do you think that my pod's battery is done, its only 2 months old.
frown.gif

May 25, 2005 at 4:13 AM Post #26 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by bugsjr
I have a question, I have an Ipod mini and I was getting good battery life while using just a direct earphone to source system. I just added a CMoy to the mix and now I am finding that my Ipod drains really fast, in fact it seems to be draining at an alarming rate of 1 to 2 hours, sometimes less. Is this due to the amp putting a drain on the Ipod, if so, what can I do to aleviate this? Or do you think that my pod's battery is done, its only 2 months old.
frown.gif

Should be easy to figure out..... use your ipod w/o the cmoy and see what kind of battery life you get. If your CMoy is built and working right, it will put virtually no load on the ipod and actually result in a tad better battery life..... with that said, even if your headphone out is shorted, you should see more than 1-2 hours battery life. Sounds like you need a new mini.

Jun 5, 2005 at 11:04 PM Post #27 of 69
yep, thats exactly what I did, still got less then 2 hours of battery life on a full charge, so I took it back to Apple for a battery check, wahla, brand new mini!
icon10.gif

Oct 7, 2005 at 9:31 PM Post #30 of 69
I just replaced the battery in my 3G. Bought the battery from HERE. Very easy to replace and a nice increase in battery life too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back