iPod 5.5G vs. 6G Line-out quality
Feb 23, 2008 at 8:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

KTamas

Head-Fier
Hi

Soo... I do realize there are threads here about the SQ of the 5.5G and the 6G iPod. For me, based on what i've read, it seems that the 6G has more precision and its more "crisp" but has slim-to-none soundstage; the 5.5G is the other way around. However I don't know how much are these opnions are based on headphone out and how much is on line-out; I'm interested into the latter one because I'd use it with a LOD cable and an amp (I'm currently leaning towards the Meier Corda 2Move).

KTamas

Feb 24, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #2 of 19
I have three 5.5g iPods and a Classic. They all sound the same out of the line out. Whether they sound different from the headphone out depends on the headphones you're using.

Soundstage is a function of miking and mixing. The original sound engineer controls that. It isn't affected by the electronics in playback. An iPod has proper phase and sufficient channel separation to make soundstage a non-issue.

See ya
Steve

Feb 24, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have three 5.5g iPods and a Classic. They all sound the same out of the line out. Whether they sound different from the headphone out depends on the headphones you're using.

Soundstage is a function of miking and mixing. The original sound engineer controls that. It isn't affected by the electronics in playback. An iPod has proper phase and sufficient channel separation to make soundstage a non-issue.

See ya
Steve

Thanks. I'm leaning towards the 5.5g because of Rockbox now, so I might as well get a used one.

Feb 24, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #4 of 19
Apple had a good deal on 5.5g 80 gig refurbs lately. I got one shipped for $200.

See ya
Steve

Feb 25, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Apple had a good deal on 5.5g 80 gig refurbs lately. I got one shipped for $200.

See ya
Steve

Yeah except its US-only and I'm a few thousand kilometers away from there :p

Feb 25, 2008 at 9:40 AM Post #6 of 19
well, soundstage is affected by hardware as my d2 performs a very narrow stage compared to my ipod nano 3g and my ipod touch. that said, the 6g and 5.5 sound great from the line out if you like the ipod sound - if not, then go for another company.

i have line out from my nano 3g and touch - wonderful - really makes them sound pretty much the same. i find bigger difference with the nano 3g and a line out and amp than the ipod touch.

i have not tried line out with the ipod 5.5 or 6g. trust steve for a good review on that

Feb 29, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #7 of 19
I'm sorry if my question doesn't fit in this thread, but I couldn't find a better one.

Does the lineout of a 5g iMod sound the same as the one of a 5.5g iMod?

Quote:

Originally Posted by wgr73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes!

Thanks!

Feb 29, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the lineout of a 5g iMod sound the same as the one of a 5.5g iMod?

Yes!

Mar 1, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
5G and 5.5G use the same DAC, no info on what's in the 6G, but it's not Wolfson anymore, it's Cirrus.

Is this a good thing or a bad ?

Mar 1, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny Calavera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this a good thing or a bad ?

That was my question
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #13 of 19
The DAC in the Classic is Apple rebranded, so there's no way to know who makes it. It sounds the same, so I'm assuming it's a Wolfson too.

See ya
Steve

Mar 2, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

The DAC in the Classic is Apple rebranded, so there's no way to know who makes it. It sounds the same, so I'm assuming it's a Wolfson too.

See ya
Steve

According to ipodLinux, it's "Apple Branded Cirrus Chip, Model Number Can't Be Made Out in iFixit Teardown"

Mar 2, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #15 of 19
The iPod classic teardown is here. It says nothing about cirrus. There's just a picture of the logic board.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back