iPod 3G Compact Flash Mod
Oct 17, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #61 of 107
A question regarding the CF iPods . We're replacing a HDD of 10,20 or 30 Gb , with a CF of a different size . In my case , I now have a 32Gb CF iPod . But ! Am I missing out on 2Gb and is the firmware that downloads when I request a restore made for a 30 Gb iPod ? Can I overwrite the firmware again to utilize all 32 Gb of the Compact Flash ? It doesn't seem to be using all 32 Gb as it is right now .

Oct 19, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #62 of 107
A question regarding the CF iPods . We're replacing a HDD of 10,20 or 30 Gb , with a CF of a different size . In my case , I now have a 32Gb CF iPod . But ! Am I missing out on 2Gb and is the firmware that downloads when I request a restore made for a 30 Gb iPod ? Can I overwrite the firmware again to utilize all 32 Gb of the Compact Flash ? It doesn't seem to be using all 32 Gb as it is right now .

That sounds right - some space is kept separate for the firmware and some of what's left is used in the background by the filesystem, plus lots is lost due to CF cards (and hard drives) being sold using 1Gb = 1000mb while computers think 1Gb = 1024mb so you "loose" 3/4 of a Gb from that alone.  My 5th gen only has 74Gb usable on it's 80Gb hard drive.

Oct 21, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #63 of 107
I've just purchased a UHS-1 128GB SD card and a CF-SD adapter that allegedly supports UHS-1.  My number one complaint with SD cards in iPods is how slow they sync, so if this ameliorates that problem, this could be huge!  The card will be arriving in 2 days, and I'll be posting the iPod 3G I put it in, on RSF for sale with Rockbox and iPod OS if everything works out on it.

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #64 of 107
So far, so good!  I followed my own tutorial from earlier in this thread, and I was able to restore iPod OS to the 128GB Komputerbay SD card I got from Amazon.  I'll try to sync 30GB of music and see what the speeds are like, and I'll report back here (with pictures too, of course!)

Oct 24, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #65 of 107
Yep, this combo works fantastically well.  Song transfers are insanely fast - they actually even seem quicker than using a CF card by itself, which is quite puzzling to me.  Anyway, I'm going to keep using this combo for my iPods at RetroSonicFidelity.  I'll have this 3G up on the site later today, hopefully.

Oct 26, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #66 of 107
Some research shows that indeed , even though a CF card can be labelled 32Gb , it really only has the 30.53 Gb that shows up on iTunes and   Disk Utility . Sorry if I created a false alarm regarding the firmware . 

Oct 31, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #67 of 107
All of a sudden my 3G is booting up and constantly showing the battery pic with the exclamation mark with it 

It reboots and repeats and gets stuck in this loop

I have tried to reboot it however it gets stuck in the same loop consistently

This is after replacing the battery with an after market replacement (which used to work in the same unit)

Cheers
Dan

Nov 2, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #68 of 107
I now realize that my 3G CF did not develop a bug but instead , somehow , my iTunes library , through an update or something , ended up changing some songs' options . I didn't know of the option 'Skip on Shuffle' . I've now gone through my library and cleared up all songs with this option set . All's well again .

Nov 27, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #69 of 107
I have had much difficulty since trying this hack although it's been a lot of fun so far and Casey has been such a great help with advising me thus far!

I'm using an iPod 3rd Generation

128GB Komputer Bay 600mbs UHS1 SD card

CF Compact Flash to 50pin micro-IDE HDD Hard Disk Drive mini adapter

SD to CF adapter

I cannot seem to get this to work- I have been following Casey's instructions on Head-Fi but I'm getting stuck!!!!

After plugging the SD card into an external card reader on windows 7, I'm using the GUI version of FAT32 Formatter to format in FAT32.

I then plug the SD card back into the adapter and boot up the iPod. I get the Apple Logo followed by the Folder icon with exclamation. Windows gives me the "unrecognized usb device" notification- that's all.

At this point I reset the iPod as per Casey's instructions and boot into diagnostic mode... then from there I select USB disk. Nothing happens at this point. Sometimes the "unrecognized usb device" notification appears but that's all.

I have completely uninstalled iTunes and reinstalled iTunes 7.6 to see if this makes a difference but nothing works.

On Mac, Disk Utility doesn't see the iPod or the storage device. If I connect the SD card to the mac with an external reader, I can format in FAT but once I try connecting the iPod to be recognized, nothing happens.

Every tutorial I have read out there says it's as simple as replacing the drive, connecting it to iTunes (sometimes in Disk Mode) and restoring the iPod. But for some reason this just doesn't want to work.

I have tried different iPod HDD cables but nothing changes.

I was wondering if maybe I have purchased the wrong CF to IDE adapter as this one is a 50 pin where is I have been reading that you actually need 44 pin such as this one here

When the CF to IDE adapter is connected to the iPod HDD cable, there is 6 open female connections at the end

Does anyone think this has something to do with the issue I'm experiencing???

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I swear that once I have successfully completed this project, I'm going to create a definitive guide so people in the future like me can create something like this and not have to struggle through it.

AND I'm more than happy to pay for people's expertise!

Nov 29, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #70 of 107
Are you sure you're connecting the right 44 pins?  Is there anything in diagnostic mode that shows the capacity of the card (to prove it's recognised at all)?

If the extra pins are the same as on a laptop hard drive adaptor they are used for power, if the adaptor is relying on that it won't work.  Also not sure about the one you have specifically but cheap adaptors often have quality control issues, you might just have bought a dud...

As for offering to pay for expertise you're not likely to get any offers without saying where you are and you'll want a quick offer before the postal system suffers from Christmas overload
etysmile.gif

Nov 30, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #71 of 107
Thanks for the advice...
I'm in Sydney Australia... so I don't know if that helps.
Your refer to the right 44 pins...I've tried a whole bunch of different positions but not working...do you have any advice on which pins? I've attached the links for what I purchased, but i have a strong feeling that the CF to IDE adaptor isn't right which is why i have purchased a different one. Hopefully it works, because this is turning into a very expensive project...
Meanwhile i"m still waiting on some refurbished casing from IFixit!  and a SD card from Komputerbay- it's actually taking forever! :frowning2:
I should of just purchased one off Casey Friday's www.retrosonicfidelity.com

Dec 1, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #72 of 107
Ah Australia... guess you won't be wanting to send it round the world for me to have a look!

I can't remember which end but one had 4 pins for power so if you've tried both ends it's not that.  Hopefully you'll have more luck with the new adaptor, the lighter weight, increased battery life and storage capacity will be worth the time and effort
happy_face1.gif

Dec 1, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #73 of 107
I wouldn't mind sending it- Are you in the US?

I have an adapter arriving soon I hope so I will test that. If I can get it to work, I will spend the extra money and try and find a replacement display as my one now has a small artifact! GRRRR it's just one thing after another!
If  the new adapter doesn't work, I will be returning it and buying one of Casey Friday's RetroMods.

Can anyone recommend where I can purchase some good quality iPod 3rd Generation Parts? I still haven't received my order from iFixit. It's actually getting ridiculous been nearly 1 month.

Feb 24, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #74 of 107
Aug 1, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #75 of 107
Hi all
I've been attempting to do the CF mod to my 20gig 4g clickwheel and this thread has been really helpful so far
However I'm having some different issues I'm using a Micro sd to CF card (64gig micro sdcard) and the 1/8 IDE adapter
It fails to restore every time with the 1429 error BUT when i unplug it i get the connect to power supply step which is fine
plug it into firewire power supply also fine get the language setup screen also fine and dandy (about menu shows the 62 gig free etc)
plug it into iTunes (11.3) and get the welcome to your new iPod guff all seems to be going swimmingly
however if i sync and album sometimes all the songs don't sync (both firewire cable and usb)
eventually after ejecting it and plugging it back in normally about three times it will say that the ipod needs to be restored 
i can't figure out what is going wrong so close yet so far....
i'd like to try and extract the firmware but i can't find a good tool to get it done in osx mavericks? does this step matter for the 4g even?
any advice would be appreciated
cheers!

*edit now nothing transfers across

Users who are viewing this thread

Back