iPhone vs iPod 5.5
May 13, 2009 at 4:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Real Maximus

Head-Fier
Apologies if this is redundant.

I own an iPod 6gen, iPod 5.5 and am not hearing much difference between the two. The 5.5 seems to be less fatiguing than the 6g, but my ears are not noticing much difference when I A/B test them side by side.

I am considering getting an iPhone soon, because I need a new phone. I am hearing on some thread that the iPhone is the best sounding iPod, that it still uses the wolfson DACs and has a better headphone out than any other apple portable products. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks folks
L3000.gif

May 13, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #2 of 11
I believe the iphone 3G uses a cirrus logic like the ipod classics, but the older models use wolfson.

Edit: nope I was wrong. 3G use wolfson wm6180c now I not sure anymore. maybe I'm confusing the Itouch with it

May 13, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #3 of 11
I have both a 5.5 iPod and a 3G iPhone. I listen to both quite a bit unamp'd from the hp out.

It's taken me a while to warm up to the iPhone 3G just because the GSM hum can be annoying when I need to have the phone on when I'm listening. However, IMO the iPhone is clearly superior to the 5.5 iPod.

I can't say if the iPhone is the best iPod (I haven't compared all the models) but I think HeadphoneAddict believes so.. send him a PM.

May 14, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #7 of 11
My iphone 1G has noticeable hiss when paired with ER4P. However when using the lineout from the dock, the headphone wire picks up interference easily :< I'm not using iphone as my main portable audio anymore.

Feb 21, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #10 of 11
The new iPhone 3GS has the best headphone out jack out of all of them (as stated by many users on this board, I have no personal experience).

But yea the new 7G classic is said to be on par with the 3GS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back