iPhone questions
Feb 19, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by guyx1992 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You kinda convinced me :p
Main problem is that it costs about 800$ unlocked and hacked. That's a lot... Even Nokia N96 costs less :O
What about its speaker? Can I listen to music via speaker at high volume? Not like my PC speakers, but something that I can hear music normally when I'm walking.

Not to be sarcastic, but why wouldn't you just use your headphones? Walking along blasting music from your phone is a touch obnoxious, and ALWAYS sounds like a dog's breakfast, no matter what the device. Unless you have a giant ghetto-blaster of course...

Feb 19, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #17 of 24
$800 to hack? it took me 2 hours, and that was with 2GBs of stuff to backup and then put back on. Its very simple if you have a Mac, my friend with a PC had some trouble, if you have a friend with a back I'd recommend asking if you could burrow his computer for an hour or so.

The speakers on the iPhone are not bad for crappy little speakers, and they do not somewhat loud, youtube videos do not seem to get loud enough (if you are say watching videos in a noisy classroom) but music is fine for personal use. As Kugino said the App store is amazing, but if you hack it you have access to Cydia, which is the homebrew app store. There are some great apps in there, such as winterboard to change themes, categories to put apps in folders and backgrounder to keep apps like pandora running after returning to the homescreen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by guyx1992 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At first I said that I don't want it because of the downsides (very delicate screen, texting will be difficult, large size and more )

Have you seen the iPhone?
Texting is not diffucult, but its better then a regular cellphone, the small keys take some getting used to, but phones that have those small QWERTY keyboards are worse. The iPhone is not large at all for a smartphone either. I didn't keep my phone in a case for a long time, I just carried it in my pocket. The screen doesn't get scratched easily, I've had it for 6 months and have never used a case that covered the screen. I know keep it in an Incase because the back does easily get scratched and it adds a little more size to it.

AT&T will let you try one out if you put the money down for one. You have a month to use it, then if you're not satisfied its a 10% restocking fee to return it. (Which works great if you're an AT&T customer already.)

Feb 19, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #19 of 24
I have to have it unlocked because Apple don't distribute the iPhone in my country yet, so every iPhone sold here is already hacked and unlocked.
About using headphones, sometimes I walk with friends so I want to be able to talk to them and listen to music, about the quality, I'm no audiophile and it's not going to be my primary source, for long listening I'll use my iPod Classic with my earphones.
Muero, even if I'm not paying for the iPhone, I still don't want my parents to pay too much, if it comes from my pocket or theirs, it's still money.

Feb 20, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #20 of 24
I would suggest blackberry bold. I bought an Iphone originally because it integrated music well, but then I found out that it was really inconvenient for me to use my phone all the time and still use it for music - i had to plug, unplug headphones, the touch screen being much less responsive than buttons, I find myself reverting back to my old nano for music and using iphone just as a phone, which it is not that good at being.

Having had a blackberry, I would have been able to do 85% of what the iPhone does, but the phone, text and emailing experience would have been twice as good, and after all, that's what a phone is for. Since you already have an ipod classic, the music integration (the original selling point for me) of the iphone is not a big deal.

Also, the Bold has BY FAR the best speakers I have ever heard. Almost as loud as the Nokia N95, but at MUCH better quality.

Feb 20, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #21 of 24
As for your size concerns, the iPhone has the exact same height as the Bold. The iPhone is smaller in depth (0.48 inches vs 0.60 inches). The iPhone is also smaller in width (2.4 inches vs 2.6 inches). So the iPhone is as small or smaller than the Bold in every dimension.

A review of the Bold states:
Quote:

The Bold’s gutsy little speaker is more than sufficient for playback sans headphones.

I still think it's a little crazy to blast music from a mobile phone. I've used the stock iPhone earbuds at somewhat low, but still listenable level, and have been able to chat with friends very, very easily. I think that's a much better solution (on the iPhone or Bold) than using the phone's speakers, for several reasons.

As for the screen being delicate, I've never heard of anyone ever being able to scratch the iPhone's screen. I do have a friend who cracked his screen (in the corner, so it's still usable and he's been using it for months that way), but he dropped it on concrete without a case. I bet most phones would have something break if dropped like that.

Typing on the iPhone is not a problem. I think every review you'll ever read says this. The touch screen is better than any other I've ever used. The only problem I've ever had with the screen is that you can't use it with gloves on, but I'm not sure if that would be a problem where you live.

Of course there are many other things to consider, like:
  1. Web browsing is much better on the iPhone
  2. HTML e-mail is better on the iPhone
  3. Bold handles multiple e-mail accounts a little better
  4. If you have DRMed iTunes tracks, they won't work on a Bold
  5. The Bold does push e-mail for every account, not just MobileMe like the iPhone
  6. Blackberry has something called Messenger, which I've heard is a good feature (but I think your friends would also have to have a Blackberry)
  7. Bold's battery is replaceable
  8. iPhone has 20,000 apps available in the App Store (but if your country doesn't have the iPhone, I'm not sure about the App Store)

There are lots of reasons why people pick one over the other, so I guess it depends on what is most important to you. For me, the instant I touched one, I knew I had to have it. I would say Mobile Safari (web browser) is enough of a reason to get the iPhone over any other phone, but obviously others disagree. I would recommend trying out both and seeing which meets your personal needs/wants.

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by limin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would suggest blackberry bold. I bought an Iphone originally because it integrated music well, but then I found out that it was really inconvenient for me to use my phone all the time and still use it for music - i had to plug, unplug headphones, the touch screen being much less responsive than buttons, I find myself reverting back to my old nano for music and using iphone just as a phone, which it is not that good at being.

Having had a blackberry, I would have been able to do 85% of what the iPhone does, but the phone, text and emailing experience would have been twice as good, and after all, that's what a phone is for. Since you already have an ipod classic, the music integration (the original selling point for me) of the iphone is not a big deal.

Also, the Bold has BY FAR the best speakers I have ever heard. Almost as loud as the Nokia N95, but at MUCH better quality.

I actually find the iphone THE BEST convenience for a phone and music player when on the go...

I threw out the apple buds microphone headset and got one of these (for a much cheaper price) Shure   - Music Phone Adapter

It's great! call comes in and I just click a button and BAM! talking to the caller. I press the button again when call is done and here comes the music...

This set up is much better than when I had a seperate music player and seperate phone... thats when I found I was always taking out the ear buds to talk when someone called. It sucked so much I just stopped answering calls. LOL

Feb 20, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #24 of 24
I didn't want to get an iPhone when it came out - too expensive and I already had a phone I liked. But then I used one for 10 minutes at the Apple Store and promptly handed over my credit card. Almost two years on, I can tell you that the iPhone is not a gimmick and is plenty durable. I'm posting from it right now.

Yes, you need to transfer files from iTunes, however, I believe there is an app or two that will let you transfer files otherwise. Also, you can charge directly off a USB cable jacked into a computer. My work box is XP without iTunes, but I plug it in every day and it works fine.

The real benefit of the iPhone is the App Store. There are a number I use daily - I can't live without the iPhone any more. Well, I could, but this is the best "toy" I've ever had, even including the laptop.

Don't spend $800 for one, either. Put a WTB up here or get a used one from eBay, then jailbreak it yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back