iPhone questions
Feb 17, 2009 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

guyx1992

500+ Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fi. Since the iPhone came out I haven't really got excited about it. I always thought it was a useless gimmic that isn't very good.
The other day my parents asked me if I wanted an iPhone, just like that. At first I said that I don't want it because of the downsides (very delicate screen, texting will be difficult, large size and more ) but then I started thinking.

What do you think? Should I take it? My current phone is the Nokia 6120c

Thanks

Feb 17, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #2 of 24
What do you want in a smartphone? Media/entertainment? Email/productivity?

If you really want good music/video integration in your phone go with the iPhone. If you want a serious workhorse go with a BlackBerry. Stay away from Windows Mobile devices.

My opinion only..

Feb 18, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #4 of 24
Definitely depends on what you're using it for. If you don't need (or really want) to access e-mail or GPS or the Web in general on-the-go, then there's no point, really. I'd like to have an iPhone...

Feb 18, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #5 of 24
I never really cared about having one but my work offered me one so I took it and got rid of my blackberry pearl. I definitely like the iphone better but there are definitely somethings the blackberry does better. Mostly little stuff. I definitely wouldnt give the iphone away and go back to my blackberry though.

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never really cared about having one but my work offered me one so I took it and got rid of my blackberry pearl. I definitely like the iphone better but there are definitely somethings the blackberry does better. Mostly little stuff. I definitely wouldnt give the iphone away and go back to my blackberry though.

Your problem might be the Pearl.. The current/next gen BBs are really nice. That being said, I would love to have an iPhone for music and stuff but I'm content with my 8900 and iPod.

Feb 18, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #7 of 24
I love mine...I have owned blackberries, palms, etc. and they all have their strengths.

The iphone has some weaknesses in comparison to the others. Blackberry does email best, period. Also, the blackberry is very good for organizing your daily schedule......but....the iphone has the most usable internet browser of any phone I have ever owned or tried. I can be in the grocery store and easily google a recipe, or be on the road and easily mapquest directions, or check my bank account in seconds...it is just so convenient and that is why I have one.

Like others have pointed out, find out what matters to you, and go for the one that fits best.

Feb 18, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you want in a smartphone? Media/entertainment? Email/productivity?

If you really want good music/video integration in your phone go with the iPhone. If you want a serious workhorse go with a BlackBerry. Stay away from Windows Mobile devices.

My opinion only..

QFT, I think that perfectly sums it up

Feb 18, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #9 of 24
I don't use the internet quite often, other then checking football scores
biggrin.gif
What I want from my phone is to have a powerful speaker that I could listen to my music as I walk and have a powerful speaker so I could talk via speaker.
I don't really need it to be an iPod because I already have an 80GB iPod Classic that I take almost everywhere.
I never used my cellphone as a work-phone, probably because I don't work and I'm still in high school. It is really cool but I'm worried that once the excitement of the iPhone will die I will see cons and would just start up using my Nokia again and leaving the iPhone in my drawer or something like that.
BTW, to transfer files from my PC to the iPhone do I have to use iTunes? How do I charge it, via USB or regular charger?

Feb 18, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #10 of 24
Guess I would have to agree with Cousin Patty I had no plans on getting
one till I used one for the weekend now you could not catch me without it
plus it lighten my carry around load to one device.

Feb 18, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #11 of 24
I used to thought Iphone is a just another gadget and waste of money but I've changed my mind after owning one. This thing is addicted and I can't live without it.
smily_headphones1.gif

If you want the ultimate Ipod then Iphone is your answer.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by guyx1992 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is really cool but I'm worried that once the excitement of the iPhone will die I will see cons and would just start up using my Nokia again and leaving the iPhone in my drawer or something like that.

I seriously doubt you will ever go from a good smartphone (BB/iPhone) back to your Nokia 6120c..
wink.gif

Feb 19, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #13 of 24
i'm a happy iphone owner. but it's certainly not the best email (bb are better) device or gps device (nokias are probably better)...but the winning aspect of the iphone is the app store. it's THE reason to get an iphone, imo. there's a ton of good free apps and i've happily paid for some really great apps.

i have the first-gen iphone and am waiting for the new revisions to come out later this year.

Feb 19, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #14 of 24
As others have said there are different 'best' phones for different uses. That said I don't have any friends who have regretted going iPhone and several who are waiting to complete contracts to jump to it. And some of them are pretty serious content updaters. And some of them wouldn't be caught dead with a Mac.
wink.gif

For my use, I also consider the G1 (Android) to be miles in front of any Windows Mobile or Blackberry phone. I just think it's also behind the iPhone at this point. And I have both.
wink.gif
Like any computer (and I consider these practically netbooks) look at the software and what you need. Check out the below link and see if they're the 'type' you may use.

101 Most Essential iPhone Apps of 2008 | Mac|Life

Feb 19, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #15 of 24
You kinda convinced me :p
Main problem is that it costs about 800$ unlocked and hacked. That's a lot... Even Nokia N96 costs less :O
What about its speaker? Can I listen to music via speaker at high volume? Not like my PC speakers, but something that I can hear music normally when I'm walking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back