iPhone Headphone Compatability List
Jul 3, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #16 of 64
apple is not producing an adapter you could pay for.

the explanations i have heard that seem to actually have some merit:
-recessing the jack takes some of the stress off the jack. if the headphones are pulled sideways, the case and the plug can take more of the stress
-the curve of the device would not have allowed for the headphone jack to be flush to the outside, they would have needed to make a bump-out to accommodate. they chose form over function - pretty for the general public, a bit of a nuisance for the power-user.

either way, third party vendors are quickly filling the need. i think some of the solutions will actually be better than just fitting the jack, since you'll be able to answer the phone as well.

Jul 3, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #17 of 64
Yeah that makes sense zip22, my guess is 95% of iPhone users will choose something different to the craptacular ibuds, especially as they have that microphone/remote being another reason for Apple to choose this over a crappier looking bump.

Jul 3, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #18 of 64
at least the er6i fit...now etymotic needs to make an er6i with mic on it
wink.gif

Jul 4, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #19 of 64
There was a short, slim adapter to fit the narrow jack of my iRiver 550 player... perhaps those are available? I'll test it later this month when my iPhone comes.

Jul 4, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #20 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
at least the er6i fit...now etymotic needs to make an er6i with mic on it
wink.gif

My black er6i's with the L-shaped jack do not fit, but my friend has the white er6i's with the straight jack, and they just barely fit. I believe my black pair could be shaved down enough, so I will probably give it a try and post the results. All the apple stores around here are sold out of the $10 belkin extender.

Yeah if ety makes a mic version with music pause control, I will definitely buy it.

Jul 5, 2007 at 1:08 PM Post #21 of 64
Some guy engadget reported on just removed the ibuds from the supplied lead and mic/controller and replaced them with Marshmallows, a pretty easy feat. I wouldn't do this with, say, E500's but ksc-75's would work a charm.

Jul 5, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #22 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluey_02 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some guy engadget reported on just removed the ibuds from the supplied lead and mic/controller and replaced them with Marshmallows, a pretty easy feat. I wouldn't do this with, say, E500's but ksc-75's would work a charm.

I remember seeing someone replace the er6i cord with the cord from the stock ipod earphones. Somehow his er6i cord was yanked from the earpiece. If i remember correctly he said that the sound was no different except for reduced microphonics (go figure). Anyway a mod like this would be pretty cool. I think I read it somewhere on this site. Just a thought

Jul 5, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #23 of 64
I just did the same thing with my stock iPhone headphones. Except I used my Harmon/Kardon (ety) ep720's as the replacement earbuds. Seems to have worked quite well and the ep720's match the cable quite nicely. Solves my issue of wanting the mic/button switch but not being able to wear the apple buds which have always hurt my ears (physically they just don't fit).

Jamie

Jul 5, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #25 of 64
After reading most of the issues with the aftermarket headphone cables and the IPhone, I throught I would just trim off about 1/8" of the casing around the 3.5mm cable to make mine fit.

Since the E500s are hardwired to the shorter cable and I use the extension cable I thought I would give it a try, can always just get another ext cable cheap.

Well... its about a 15 second mod with a small straight edge and they fit perfect.

Jul 5, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #26 of 64
This may make it more obvious the part I am talking about, the jack is just recessed a bit so taking some of the casing off just lets the plug sit down inside and it fits perfect... Apple could not have made it any better
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #27 of 64
I made my own pair with Sennheiser CX300 buds. I really like these for portable use. They provide some isolation but not so much that I can't talk to someone. And they're comfortable to take in and out. The sound quality is respectable for the price.

This was my first time soldering and I have sausage fingers - so if I can do it, anyone can. (Picture taken with iPhone.)

747975769_ab435ead66.jpg

Jul 7, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #28 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I made my own pair with Sennheiser CX300 buds. I really like these for portable use. They provide some isolation but not so much that I can't talk to someone. And they're comfortable to take in and out. The sound quality is respectable for the price.

This was my first time soldering and I have sausage fingers - so if I can do it, anyone can. (Picture taken with iPhone.)

747975769_ab435ead66.jpg

Nice job there, I'm considering picking up a 2nd pair of Apple headphones to mesh with some other 3rd party earbuds I might find. I have some crappy Skull-candy ones; and I already ripped off the plastic on the connector of my KSC-75's so that they fit, but I want to use my ATH-A900's too... and for those I think I'll just go with a real adapter haha; don't want to mess those up at least.

And I'm lending my HD201's to a friend for a computer we just built for him using a combo of my other friends and my spare computer parts so he can play WoW at his house. Still need to get him a wireless card though..

Jul 8, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #30 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Optional /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice job there, I'm considering picking up a 2nd pair of Apple headphones to mesh with some other 3rd party earbuds I might find. I have some crappy Skull-candy ones; and I already ripped off the plastic on the connector of my KSC-75's so that they fit, but I want to use my ATH-A900's too... and for those I think I'll just go with a real adapter haha; don't want to mess those up at least.

And I'm lending my HD201's to a friend for a computer we just built for him using a combo of my other friends and my spare computer parts so he can play WoW at his house. Still need to get him a wireless card though..

On your lead Dylan, I just did the same thing, was not using my 300s and the apple buds are horrible.. this is a nice compromise, thanks for the great suggestion.

Man those cables had to get good and hot to finally take to the solder though.. I thought I was going to cook them , I have soldered other IEMs and they didnt take half the heat to finally flow...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back