iPhone drawbacks?
Nov 12, 2011 at 8:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

sphinxvc

Headphoneus Supremus
Currently using a BB but I'm eligible for an upgrade in 10 days, should I upgrade to an iphone?  Worth it?  I know about all the good but what about the bad?  For you regular iphone users; what don't you like?

Nov 12, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #2 of 18
I'm not an iPhone user (iPod touch user) but since every friend of mine have the iPhone I know their general weaknesses. I've gone through Blackberry, SGS2 (Android), Nokia (Symbian), Sony Ericsson, Motorola, (you name it). It's definitely an upgrade (but a downgrade if the phone is used for business).

You should worry about their:
  1. security - iPhone's security is one of the easiest to hack into
  2. fragile glass - if you drop it accidentally even from a reasonable height, the glass will break (70% of the iPhones I've seen has a broken glass, <teenage to young adult users>)
  3. closed iOS system, it's like a prison (can be fixed through jailbreaking)

Nov 12, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #3 of 18
Security is a concern, I already had my gmail account hacked recently (ridiculous story behind that).  Fragile glass is a problem, I tend not to baby things I carry around every day, but I will probably get Zaggshield if I get an iPhone.  

The closed iOS system is a concern but not in the way you might imagine, the thing is I barely use my phone for online use -- my current plan allows for 150mb of data a month and I barely crack 10mb.  But of course BBs are very efficient in data usage.  

(aside, for you iphone owners -- about how much data are you using / month?)

I guess I could replace my iPod Classic with the iPhone, so that's another positive.

SO -- how about call quality?  That's something I care about -- my BB Curve has been excellent in that regard.

I might not use data but I've hit thousands upon thousands of minutes a month before.

Nov 12, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #4 of 18
Call quality (Rating: Bad < Okay < Great)

Blackberry - Great
SGS2 - Great
iPhone - Okay

Like I said, for business it is safer to use the Blackberry. I moved from the Blackberry 9780 because I want a faster, thinner, lighter and good looking phone. iPhone is still pretty new in the mobile phone business so they are doing pretty well. But for call quality, I would give the crown to other experienced companies.

Nov 12, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #5 of 18
I've used 2.6gb last month and this month (12 days) almost 1gb. I use browser, rss reader, audio podcasts and pandora. So, 150mg would be not enough for you, unless you only need email and a  little surfing.
I have an Android and would recommend it if you want something better than an idevice or blackberry. SGS2 would be a good choose. Check htc.com as well.

Nov 12, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #6 of 18
Iphone is locked down-they just now allow you to use your own message tones.
No user controllable EQ
Not sure how much I use, I've had the unlimited data plan and haven't dropped it so I dont pay attention to that.

Nov 12, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #7 of 18
I didn't know there were so many with broken glass. I haven't experienced that. About ten members of my family carry iPhones and we haven't had one broken yet.

I bought one of the original iPhones for $600 a few weeks after they were released. I've had an iPhone on me every day of my life since. No failures, no problems. My current iPhone is a 4. Using it right now, even.

People make a big stink over the closed platform. I don't see it as a problem. It hasn't affected functionality at all. It does everything I want. On the other end of that spectrum, I run Linux on a desktop. If I want to tweak, I can do anything. But, thing is, the stock distro works fine. If, somehow, I woke up tomorrow morning and my distro was locked down, it would still be 100% functional for my needs. As a philosophical point, total freedom sounds ideal. But how much are you really going to do with it? I have total freedom with Linux, and I don't really use it. So, to me, restrictions on an iPhone aren't a big deal. I have better things to do than recompile the kernel for a phone. (To keep the discussion under control, I'm all for freedom of speech, etc. And I'm a lawyer - don't get me started on that stuff. A smartphone has nothing to do with civil rights.)

As for actual flaws, I don't like iPhones for long telephone conversations. They're hard to hold and get uncomfortable. The old RAZR I had (original model) was much better as a telephone. But I don't make too many phone calls and I'm planning to get a landline :)eek:) soon. I have a small collection ofnold rotary phones that I want to start using. Now those were engineered to be held comfortably for long conversations and I will use them for that.

Nov 12, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #8 of 18
I've had my iPhone 4 for 1.5 years now

The good:
Apps

The bad:
crap internals (for the price)
glass back
tiny screen
not the best screen (considering the price)
heavy

My contract finishes around the time the SGS3 comes out so yea...

Nov 12, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #9 of 18
Ah iPhone drawbacks. I own an iPhone 4 so i will give you a run down of my thoughts.

The good
Sound quality
Design
Apps
Fast
Good customer support

The bad
Glass on back and front could shatter
Heavy
dropped calls and bad cell reception

Anyone who claims they haven't had dropped calls must be 1 lucky person. I usually don't but i have had 1.

I give it a 4/5

Nov 12, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #10 of 18
Very very few problems with it in the last 11 months I've had it. Wanna guess when I did? Jailbreaking, downloading poo-poo apps from cydia and having it crash.

Restored it that day. Works fine, never skipped a beat.

No drawbacks for me.

Nov 12, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #11 of 18
it turning gay on me. i swear it never gets turned on anymore.

Nov 12, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #12 of 18
Android - America 
iOS - Australia 

Take your pick. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 12, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #13 of 18
The biggest issue I had using an iphone was that you pretty much have to do everything through itunes.  
You can't drag and drop music, pictures, or video on, everything has to be synced.
It's very annoying to get music, pictures, and video OFF of the iphone as well, if you don't have the computer that it's always synced too.
It's difficult to modify files already on the iphone, you have to have your computer as well as itunes again... it's super hard to copy and paste files around, retag songs, organize folders, etc. on the iphone itself.
Apps are fine if you're the kind of person who's fine with buying stuff from the itunes store.  If you want apps outside of the store though, it's much more difficult compared to Android.  You can't drag and drop something like an APK onto the phone and just install it.

Nov 13, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #14 of 18
I almost feel like getting it because I'm spending so much on my phone bill (~ $110+/month) anyway.

I have Verizon and unlimited talk, 250 texts and 300mb data.  My corporate discount is useless because it doesn't apply to unlimited plans.

Regarding some of the drawbacks you've all raised: Like UE, I'm not bothered by the closed system nor fragile glass (that's what Zaggshield is for).

Call quality is huge for me though -- I have some long telephone conversation sometimes.  Weight isn't an issue as it will replace two devices: BB + iPod Classic.

Nov 13, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #15 of 18

Quote:
I've used 2.6gb last month and this month (12 days) almost 1gb. I use browser, rss reader, audio podcasts and pandora. So, 150mg would be not enough for you, unless you only need email and a  little surfing.
I have an Android and would recommend it if you want something better than an idevice or blackberry. SGS2 would be a good choose. Check htc.com as well.

HTC is out the window now unless they have very good dev support. Beats Audio is making its debut appearance in the Rezound(, and several people have told me off for not having a Beats Audio equipped phone. Despite the fact even the folks at CyanogenMod say Beats Audio is absolute rubbish compared to DSP Manager.

iPhone is a perfectly fine choice. Drawbacks? Perhaps the smaller screen and the locking of the system by Apple. And the fact it doesn't accept flacs without a few hitches. Otherwise, it's a sound device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back