Iphone --> DacMagic, possible?
Jul 5, 2010 at 7:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

niotio910

100+ Head-Fier
AFAIK that this setup works:
Ipod --> onkyo DN-S1 dock --> DacMagic

It seems that the Onkyo only supports ipod not Iphone(??). Is there any other way to go?

Thanks!

Jul 5, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #4 of 20
I use an Onkyo ND-S1 between my DAC and Ipod Touch. It's much cheaper than the Wadia, and as far as I can tell, functionally identical if you're just using the digital audio out.

You'll need either the Wadia transport or the ND-S1, until more competing products arrive.

Jul 15, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #10 of 20

Quote:
This sounds like a stupid question, but would a dock connector to a USB "B" cable work?  I have the same question about this, except with an iPOD.

Nope.

There are only a few select devices licensed by Apple who can pull the digital out of an iPod/iPhone. You'd need the following:

iPod - iWadia - Dac - Amp.

The iWadia's aren't cheap or small.

Jul 15, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #11 of 20

Quote:
Nope.

There are only a few select devices licensed by Apple who can pull the digital out of an iPod/iPhone. You'd need the following:

iPod - iWadia - Dac - Amp.

The iWadia's aren't cheap or small.

Damn.

Now if only the Onkyo ND-S1 was easier to get....

iPod - Onkyo ND-S1 - DACMagic - Speakers

Jul 15, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #12 of 20

Quote:
AFAIK that this setup works:
Ipod --> onkyo DN-S1 dock --> DacMagic

It seems that the Onkyo only supports ipod not Iphone(??). Is there any other way to go?

Thanks!

I'm not sure that you'd be getting the digital signal. My Pioneer Elite Receiver does have an iPod dock cable, but it is NOT the digital signal.

Jul 15, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #14 of 20

Quote:
The issue is that the DACMagic only has coax/toslink and a USB input. 

No, the issue is that the iPod/iPhone will only output the digital bits to "Apple licensed" gear like the iWadia:

http://www.wadia.com/products/transports/170i/

There may be one or two others who specifically license the rights to do this directly from Apple (I'm not sure). If you don't have this device then you cannot pull the digital information from your iPod/iPhone....sorry.

Simply having a LOD into your receiver does in no way mean that you're pulling in the digital information and having your Receiver's dac do the work. What you're getting is the "un-attenuated" analog signal...which is better than through the 1/8" stereo jack.

Jul 15, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #15 of 20

Quote:
No, the issue is that the iPod/iPhone will only output the digital bits to "Apple licensed" gear like the iWadia:

http://www.wadia.com/products/transports/170i/

There may be one or two others who specifically license the rights to do this directly from Apple (I'm not sure). If you don't have this device then you cannot pull the digital information from your iPod/iPhone....sorry.

Simply having a LOD into your receiver does in no way mean that you're pulling in the digital information and having your Receiver's dac do the work. What you're getting is the "un-attenuated" analog signal...which is better than through the 1/8" stereo jack.

Well that stinks.  I guess I'm only going to be using my laptop then...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back