iPhone 7 Will Revolutionize Portable Audio for the First Time in a Decade
Apr 11, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #1,203 of 1,216
So how goes the "revolution"?

Apple's latest headphones have definitely made wireless viable and as good or better than using a wire with iTunes/Apple Music. Reliable signal, instantaneous connection, no compression with AAC files :).

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #1,204 of 1,216
Apple's latest headphones have definitely made wireless viable and as good or better than using a wire with iTunes/Apple Music. Reliable signal, instantaneous connection, no compression with AAC files
smily_headphones1.gif

Look, I know iTunes/Apple Music quality isn't great, but it's not bad enough that there's no difference between EarPods or Beats phones and my Westone W60s.... or any other decent midrange IEM, for that matter. Let's keep the hyperbole to a dull roar.

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #1,205 of 1,216

Look, I know iTunes/Apple Music quality isn't great, but it's not bad enough that there's no difference between EarPods or Beats phones and my Westone W60s.... or any other decent midrange IEM, for that matter. Let's keep the hyperbole to a dull roar.

Beats aren't what they used to be. I think Studio 3.0 could be excellent if they redesign it and continue the upward trajectory the brand has seen since the Apple acquisition, or it could suck like the current Studio model. The technology is definitely there though, and AAC is close to FLAC.

Apr 25, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #1,206 of 1,216
hello everyone got myself an iphone 7 plus, and have few questions

1- does iphone down sample high res files like 192/24
2- for iems, are there aftermarket adapters better than the supplied one by apple to listen to audio, as I know the dac is in the adapter
3- does anyone know what dac apple uses in iphone 7 plus

May 14, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #1,207 of 1,216
Beats aren't what they used to be. I think Studio 3.0 could be excellent if they redesign it and continue the upward trajectory the brand has seen since the Apple acquisition, or it could suck like the current Studio model. The technology is definitely there though, and AAC is close to FLAC.
It's going in the right direction. I absolutely love my Solo3's and never in my life I thought I'd even buy a Beats. I think they are the best wireless headphones today at their price at least for iPhone users.
I hope my English is decent in this one :s

Jun 13, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #1,208 of 1,216
i have been using iphone 7 plus for the last few days and i have to say i am so surprised by how great it sounds with my shure 846 and ie800

what dac do they use in iphone7 plus as i am really impressed and it sounds so much more better than the razor sharp sound of lg v20 which i own as well, and some of the daps i heard

Jun 13, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #1,209 of 1,216
i have been using iphone 7 plus for the last few days and i have to say i am so surprised by how great it sounds with my shure 846 and ie800

what dac do they use in iphone7 plus as i am really impressed and it sounds so much more better than the razor sharp sound of lg v20 which i own as well, and some of the daps i heard

The DAC for headphones isn't in the iPhone 7 plus, it's in the Lightning to Headphone adapter. The part number is 338S00140 A0SM1624 TW which is speculated to be a Cirrus DAC by people in the know.

The great thing about the Lightning to Headphone adapter is that you can use it with any iOS device capable of running iOS 10, meaning it's a dirt cheap (9 bucks) way of "repairing" a damaged or faulty headphone jack on older devices.

Jun 13, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #1,210 of 1,216
The DAC for headphones isn't in the iPhone 7 plus, it's in the Lightning to Headphone adapter. The part number is 338S00140 A0SM1624 TW which is speculated to be a Cirrus DAC by people in the know.

The great thing about the Lightning to Headphone adapter is that you can use it with any iOS device capable of running iOS 10, meaning it's a dirt cheap (9 bucks) way of "repairing" a damaged or faulty headphone jack on older devices.
is there any info about if any down sampling happens to files with 192/24 bit with that dongle

I am really impressed with the sound of the iphone 7 plus

Jun 14, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #1,211 of 1,216
is there any info about if any down sampling happens to files with 192/24 bit with that dongle

I am really impressed with the sound of the iphone 7 plus

The DAC in the adapter has been tested to be excellent and superior to third-party adapters. I don't think the dongle would downssample files.

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #1,212 of 1,216

I'm dreading the upgrade to iPhone 7 (or 7S or 8 as I probably waiting now); I've been clinging to my 6S Plus even as it gets slower and slower with each point upgrade to iOS 10, but I've read horror stories about the remotes not working on third-party headphones plugged into the official Apple dongle.

I don't want to lose functionality just because they have Apple has me by the balls and I'm stuck in the Apple ecosystem! :o2smile:

Jun 16, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #1,213 of 1,216
I'm dreading the upgrade to iPhone 7 (or 7S or 8 as I probably waiting now); I've been clinging to my 6S Plus even as it gets slower and slower with each point upgrade to iOS 10, but I've read horror stories about the remotes not working on third-party headphones plugged into the official Apple dongle.

I don't want to lose functionality just because they have Apple has me by the balls and I'm stuck in the Apple ecosystem! :o2smile:

I know what you mean about being stuck in Apple's ecosystem: I'm too heavily invested myself to switch even though I want to.

However your 6S shouldn't be slowing down - I have a 7 plus and a plain old 6 and really in day to day use I really don't notice much if any difference in responsiveness. Maybe shut down all those open apps, or restore the phone (after a backup of course). YMMV of course.

Regarding the headphone dongle though, it's worked with all the headphone remotes that I've tried it with, mind you all of them have been official MFi certified. It may be that some non certified headphones are not working though. Admittedly I don't use the dongle much as I use an iPod touch 6th gen for music, and in the last couple of months I've pretty much switched to wireless headphones. Even though I hate the fact that the 7 doesn't have a headphone port, I love the fact that the dongle exists because, as I've already said, you can use it with any iOS 10 compatible device.

Edit: The dongle is only 9 bucks, so you could get one, use it with your 6S, and see if the remotes on your headphones work - not much to lose.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #1,214 of 1,216
can i ask which is a small profile dac/amp that works flawlessly with iphone 7, something that can be added to the phone and iem that is ultra small , a new dongle with good dac/amp
besides what aaw is doing

Aug 13, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #1,215 of 1,216
I tested sound between "original Apple Lightning-Jack dongle" and jack in Ipad Pro 10.5". Sound of jack is much much better and louder. Dongle has sound softer without impact :frowning2:
The way for me will be use bluetooth headphones. Or to use Bluetooth receiver for wired headphones...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back