iPhone 7 Will Revolutionize Portable Audio for the First Time in a Decade
Dec 19, 2016 at 3:41 AM Post #1,157 of 1,216
Has anybody been using the dongle out and about on a daily basis ? If so...does the dongle withstand the test of time ?

I had located a non European iPhone 7 256gb and i was about to set up a meeting to purchase it when i looked at the dongle and i asked to myself...

...Do you really think that this flimsy dongle can be as enduring as a built in headphone out ?

The answer was a resounding no, based on my previous experience with short 3.5mm cable extenders (that i used when i had Mophie battery cases). At least 3 of these cable uses shorted out in a few weeks of daily usage. So my forecast is that if i rely on the dongle for my day to day audio ops i will be showing up at an Apple Store quite a few times a year to get my shorting out dongle exchanged.

Hence while performance of the dongle is very nice with all my in ears its 'sturdiness' does not convince me and since it seems that there are no other wired solutions atm i will stick with my good  and reliable old iP6  /iOS 9 combo.

I hope that Shure rolls out its 'cipher' cable soon...

Dec 19, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #1,158 of 1,216
Can't get over that (unpromising) view...

bc7476aaa27a69d4300d6e823626a91a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 19, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #1,159 of 1,216
I saw someone with the dongle on muni the other day. Looked pathetic and hideous. If I get an iPhone 8, and if the jack is still gone, it will only be because I have a wireless headphone like the Sony MDR-1000x. My Bose are acting up (seem to be eating batteries almost daily), and given the mediocre sound quality, any reason to dump the brand will be taken.

Dec 19, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #1,160 of 1,216
  I saw someone with the dongle on muni the other day. Looked pathetic and hideous. If I get an iPhone 8, and if the jack is still gone, it will only be because I have a wireless headphone like the Sony MDR-1000x. My Bose are acting up (seem to be eating batteries almost daily), and given the mediocre sound quality, any reason to dump the brand will be taken.

The dongle wouldn't look so bad if it was black. 
tongue.gif

Dec 21, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #1,161 of 1,216
  Has anybody been using the dongle out and about on a daily basis ? If so...does the dongle withstand the test of time ?

I had located a non European iPhone 7 256gb and i was about to set up a meeting to purchase it when i looked at the dongle and i asked to myself...

...Do you really think that this flimsy dongle can be as enduring as a built in headphone out ?

The answer was a resounding no, based on my previous experience with short 3.5mm cable extenders (that i used when i had Mophie battery cases). At least 3 of these cable uses shorted out in a few weeks of daily usage. So my forecast is that if i rely on the dongle for my day to day audio ops i will be showing up at an Apple Store quite a few times a year to get my shorting out dongle exchanged.

Hence while performance of the dongle is very nice with all my in ears its 'sturdiness' does not convince me and since it seems that there are no other wired solutions atm i will stick with my good  and reliable old iP6  /iOS 9 combo.

I hope that Shure rolls out its 'cipher' cable soon...

I bought an iPhone 7 Plus in late September and have been using the dongle with a pair of Westone W60s pretty much every day on the NYC subway, in my practice space playing drums along with music (what I do for a living), and on a few transatlantic flights. The dongle seems fine so far, although I do plan to buy a backup or two. I'm very careful to keep the phone out of my pocket when the dongle is plugged in, but I did this anyway before I had the 7, just to preserve the cable on my W60s. I also keep the dongle plugged into the W60s when they are not being used, and they are always stored in a case. 

Dec 22, 2016 at 3:18 AM Post #1,162 of 1,216

I bought an iPhone 7 Plus in late September and have been using the dongle with a pair of Westone W60s pretty much every day on the NYC subway, in my practice space playing drums along with music (what I do for a living), and on a few transatlantic flights. The dongle seems fine so far, although I do plan to buy a backup or two. I'm very careful to keep the phone out of my pocket when the dongle is plugged in, but I did this anyway before I had the 7, just to preserve the cable on my W60s. I also keep the dongle plugged into the W60s when they are not being used, and they are always stored in a case. 

That's the kind of assessment i was looking for. Thank you!

Just one question: does the dongle bends like in my picture while you carry it on the go ? That bending was what put me off.

If one dongle is able to work 3 or 4 months it would be feasible for me to use it as the daily driver. I'd purchase 3 or 4, and every few months i'd walk in to my apple Store to get the broken ones exchanged under warranty.

And what do you think of the dongle sound quality ? I like it a lot for multidriver iems.

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #1,163 of 1,216

That's the kind of assessment i was looking for. Thank you!

Just one question: does the dongle bends like in my picture while you carry it on the go ? That bending was what put me off.

If one dongle is able to work 3 or 4 months it would be feasible for me to use it as the daily driver. I'd purchase 3 or 4, and every few months i'd walk in to my apple Store to get the broken ones exchanged under warranty.

And what do you think of the dongle sound quality ? I like it a lot for multidriver iems.

You're welcome! The cable part of the dongle is thinner and much more flexible than a normal Lightning cable. I suspect they made it this way so that it bends more and has more flex, thus alleviating some of the stress on the cable. Maybe they found that the thicker Lightning cables tending to break or fray because of their relative inflexibility. 

I'm very impressed with the sound quality, but I haven't had extensive experience using portable DACs with the iPhone. Previously, I used an iPhone 6 Plus with my W60s plugged directly into the headphone jack. I noticed a small improvement in sound quality when I switched to the 7 Plus/dongle combo. Just a little more clarity, fullness, and excitement in the sound. I'm sure something like a Mojo, HA-2, or even a Dragonfly would be better than the dongle. But the dongle sounds a bit better to me than the built-in DAC/amp in the previous iPhones. I've also only tried it with my W60s. I'll have to try my Grado SR80s sometime. Maybe I'll even try my LCD-2s, just for fun.....

Dec 26, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #1,164 of 1,216
Just thought some of you may be interested in trying this lightning cable for IEMs (2 pin or MMCX). It's from AAW and its on Indiegogo, but the price looks very attractive. Also wondering if anyone is aware of any other cables out there or on the works. 

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/capri-audiophile-digital-earphone-with-hi-res-dac--2/x/13374679#/

Jan 2, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #1,165 of 1,216
I have an iPhone 7 Plus (EU model), and a Chord Mojo on the way. How do I connect the two? Which one of the following should I buy:

1. MK0W2AM/A (Lightning to USB 3 camera adapter, Iphone 7 and 7 plus are officially supported, expensive and bulky)
2. MD821AM/A (Lightning to USB camera adapter newer model, Iphone 7 is not officially supported)
3. MD821ZM/A (Lightning to USB camera adapter, now discontinued but can be still found online)

Did anyone test the Chord Mojo with the Iphone 7 or 7 Plus using one of the above mentioned adapters? Thanks!

Jan 3, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #1,166 of 1,216
  Just thought some of you may be interested in trying this lightning cable for IEMs (2 pin or MMCX). It's from AAW and its on Indiegogo, but the price looks very attractive. Also wondering if anyone is aware of any other cables out there or on the works. 

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/capri-audiophile-digital-earphone-with-hi-res-dac--2/x/13374679#/

Audeze has a 3.5mm to Lightning cable with an amazing DAC for only $49-$59. Not sure if anybody has tried but there is no official word on whether it would work with non-Audeze headphones. I see no reason it wouldn't work on any headphone with a 3.5mm output though.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1171402&gclid=CPui6NWxpdECFR2BswodgKUAkg&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C91438732682%2C&Q=&A=details

Jan 3, 2017 at 3:04 AM Post #1,167 of 1,216

Audeze has a 3.5mm to Lightning cable with an amazing DAC for only $49-$59. Not sure if anybody has tried but there is no official word on whether it would work with non-Audeze headphones. I see no reason it wouldn't work on any headphone with a 3.5mm output though.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1171402&gclid=CPui6NWxpdECFR2BswodgKUAkg&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C91438732682%2C&Q=&A=details

That's a basic MFI cable. It's not the same as the Cipher cable, which does not terminate in a 3.5mm jack. It's not a design that features a detachable cable with a female 3.5mm connector. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back