iPhone 7 Will Revolutionize Portable Audio for the First Time in a Decade
Sep 26, 2016 at 5:06 AM Post #812 of 1,216
I have started using the Lightning to Headphone adapter all the time on my iPhone 6s Plus. I am glad that the volume on my European iPhone 6s Plus is still uncapped using the adapter and can go loud.

How could you describe the toll the dongle takes on battery life ? Is the drain similar to the headphone port ? that would be the ice on the cake.

Sep 26, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #813 of 1,216
In response to elfary and anyone else who wants to know how fastly the adapter drains battery:

I plug the dongle into my iPhone 6 and use it with my newly acquired SE215s. While I haven't actually measured how fast my battery depletes while using it, I haven't noticed my battery draining any faster than it used to. Also, in response to those who look upon the removal of the headphone jack in the iPhone 7 negatively, I've only been using the adapter for a few days, but, so far, I haven't missed the ability to charge my phone while listening to music. And if I ever do start missing that ability, I have no qualms about buying an accessory that would allow me to do that.

Sep 26, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #814 of 1,216
In response to elfary and anyone else who wants to know how fastly the adapter drains battery:

I plug the dongle into my iPhone 6 and use it with my newly acquired SE215s. While I haven't actually measured how fast my battery depletes while using it, I haven't noticed my battery draining any faster than it used to. Also, in response to those who look upon the removal of the headphone jack in the iPhone 7 negatively, I've only been using the adapter for a few days, but, so far, I haven't missed the ability to charge my phone while listening to music. And if I ever do start missing that ability, I have no qualms about buying an accessory that would allow me to do that.

Thanks for sharing.

A pal of mine just told me the same: the dongle does not drain the battery any more than his iPhone 5 hpo and the dongle sounds clearly better.

So now we have the ice on the cake. At a 9$ price tag

This even better than the real thing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sep 26, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #815 of 1,216
Agree that there battery drain with the dongle doesn't appear to be significant.

The iphone 7 plus battery is absolutely terrific. 70% remaining at 9pm despite moderate use all day.

Sep 26, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #816 of 1,216
The battery drain sort of makes sense as the adapter isn't doing anything more than the headphone socket does; it's just in a different place and if Apple have used the same or at least similar components you would anticipate similar levels of power consumption.

It would appear that one of the advantages of lightning over USB is that USB requires some power for the receiver chip/interface.

Presumably when headphone manufacturers start releasing harder to drive lightning headphones with higher power requirements you will see a corresponding increase in battery drain.

Sep 27, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #817 of 1,216
There is now an updated Oppo HA-2: HA-2SE. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/821363/oppo-relases-updated-ha-2se-headphone-amplifier-with-new-ess-sabre32-reference-es9028-q2m-dac
http://www.oppodigital.com/headphone-amplifier-ha-2SE/

Sep 27, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #818 of 1,216
When the iPhone had a headphone jack did the onboard DAC and amp feed both the speakers and the headphone?

Sep 27, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #819 of 1,216
When the iPhone had a headphone jack did the onboard DAC and amp feed both the speakers and the headphone?

Yes, although as far as I know there were more than one amp

Sep 27, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #820 of 1,216
Jesus Christ my 256GB Jet Black 7+ got pushed back to late November! I ordered this damn thing within 20 minutes of pre-order opening....sucks..How is everyone else faring?

Sep 27, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #821 of 1,216
Jesus Christ my 256GB Jet Black 7+ got pushed back to late November! I ordered this damn thing within 20 minutes of pre-order opening....sucks..How is everyone else faring?

As far as I've heard there is a delay with the 7+. I have no idea about the reason though. I am in Europe and I chose to go with the 7 eventually. At the bottom line it's smaller and easier to handle in every day use. Smaller and lighter phone without many other important compromises is better I think. My 6S+ was always kind of difficult to carry around and handle in all cases...

I guess 7+ has bigger demand than expected and production line is struggling...

Sep 27, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #823 of 1,216

I pre-ordered my 256GB JB 7+ on 9/9 at 11:30AM through Verizon and the expected delivery was 10/26.  To my surprise mine was shipped yesterday and should have it in hand tomorrow.

Sep 27, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #824 of 1,216
I wish Apple would allow for Device Only or Unlocked purchases in the US through the website without an active carrier account.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back