iPhone 7 Will Revolutionize Portable Audio for the First Time in a Decade
Sep 15, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #526 of 1,216

Remember, that prior to iOS 10, there was never any "official" support for external DACs. The CCK cable was/is a work around. While the external devices seems to work fine, there were problems of random disconnects and/or noise. In order for Apple's own external DAC to be at the level of true usability and support, I would bet they had to make some changes to iOS. However, this could also cause some "older" DACs to have problems so that's one of the reasons I started the separate thread.

Actually, there were some amps released years ago that had MFI certification: Peachtree Audio Shift, OPPO HA-2, JVC SU-AX7 etc. Apple never did much to publicize this, however, but it looks like indeed, more and more manufacturers are joining the program. I myself plan to have one of these for home use, while using Airpods while out and about.

Sep 15, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #527 of 1,216
Today I received my Apple Lightning-to-3.5mm adapter, upgraded my iPhone 6 to IOS 10 (it gave me an error before I upgraded), and tried it with my SE846.  I must say, I'm impressed without the sound (relative to the built in jack).  Switching between the headphone jack and the adapter, I sometimes thought there might be a hair less bass but at other times I thought it sounded the same.  It seems about as good as the built in headphone jack.  The only thing I didn't like about it is the cable is very thin, about as thin as the Apple earbuds cable.  It probably wouldn't hold up to rough treatment.

I still suspect there is a DAC inside the cable, though time will tell.  I don't want to destroy mine the first day I bought it to find out.

I'll probably move forward with buying an iPhone 7 now, since my iPhone 6 has been having some hardware problems lately.  I wanted to try the headphone adapter first before deciding on getting an iPhone 7 or an iPhone 6s.

Sep 15, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #528 of 1,216
If you get a male USB adaptor (micro, mini or USB A) to female lightning connector, and plug that in to the lightning adaptor to another computer, that will tell if there's a DAC inside IMO.

Sep 15, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #530 of 1,216
Here you go

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lighting-8-Pin-MicroUSB-converter/dp/B01CESSXE0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1473989677&sr=8-2&keywords=lightning+female+micro+usb+male#customerReviews

Sep 15, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #531 of 1,216
Here you go

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lighting-8-Pin-MicroUSB-converter/dp/B01CESSXE0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1473989677&sr=8-2&keywords=lightning+female+micro+usb+male#customerReviews

every single thing points to there being a dac. why are people still trying to push this? Even previous posters in this thread said there are noticeable differences between the headphone out and the cable, give it up already

Sep 15, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #532 of 1,216
Hi ,

Just got my iPhone 7. Tried my Shure 846's with the adapter (which is TINY). Honestly can't tell any difference between the headphone jack and lightning. My big worry, which is how solid the lightning connection is, has now gone away. It fits tight and has no give. I don't think there's be any damage issues.

Cheers,
Simon

Sep 16, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #533 of 1,216
  every single thing points to there being a dac. why are people still trying to push this? Even previous posters in this thread said there are noticeable differences between the headphone out and the cable, give it up already

I doubted that there was a DAC inside the adapter simply because it was so small and cheap in comparison to every other DAC/Amp that has gone before it. There are copies popping up on eBay and Amazon for about the same price as the Apple original but none of them give any specifications so we don't know what's inside them.

If Apple and the clones out there have managed to squeeze a decent sounding DAC/Amp into such a small package and at this price point it has to be good news for everyone as it is only a matter of time before something similar is available with a micro USB connection. I know the Moto Z has a USB-C to 3.5mm adapter but my understanding is that is using the analogue audio pass-through feature that is available with USB-C.

I really want to see the teardown of the lightning-3.5mm adapter to see just what's inside and just how far such a small connector can be pushed.

Sep 16, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #534 of 1,216
Maybe iFixit's teardown will reveal more info about the adapter:

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/iPhone_7_Plus

Sep 16, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #535 of 1,216
Any European has been able to try the dongle plugged into an EU capped iPhone to compare its ouput level with that of the EU iPhone headphone port?

If the dongle output is linked somehow to the iPhone serial number then the cap could still be there no matter where one purchases the dongle. That would be an epic bummer.

Sep 16, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #536 of 1,216
A work college just got his iPhone 7, so I borrowed the headphone adapter to try on my iPod 6th gen running iOS 10, and it works fine. I didn't really have time to judge the sound quality however, but it wasn't obviously that different from the normal headphone output.

When this adapter is available for separate purchase it looks like it's going to be a very economical fix for a failed headphone port on any device that's capable of running iOS 10.

Sep 16, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #537 of 1,216
A work college just got his iPhone 7, so I borrowed the headphone adapter to try on my iPod 6th gen running iOS 10, and it works fine. I didn't really have time to judge the sound quality however, but it wasn't obviously that different from the normal headphone output.

When this adapter is available for separate purchase it looks like it's going to be a very economical fix for a failed headphone port on any device that's capable of running iOS 10.

Zurich ? Could you compare the ouput power of the European iPod Touch headphone out with the output of the dongle plugged into the European Touch?

Sep 16, 2016 at 5:44 AM Post #538 of 1,216
 Zurich ? Could you compare the ouput power of the European iPod Touch headphone out with the output of the dongle plugged into the European Touch?

Sorry - already handed the adapter back. To be honest I've never had a problem with EU iPhone's output with any headphones that I use as portables - At 75% volume most portable headphones are louder than I can comfortably listen. For other headphones that iPhone doesn't have enough juice to power I use a Dragonfly Red.

Sep 16, 2016 at 6:48 AM Post #540 of 1,216
(Sadly) It is confirmed now.

EU dongles plugged into EU capped iPhones feature all the usual crap (cap, colored volume squares and self turning on screen when sound gets loud).

Next stop: to try an american dongle with en EU idevice (If some american mate wants to help please PM).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back