iPhone 7 Will Revolutionize Portable Audio for the First Time in a Decade
Mar 16, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #16 of 1,216
How does it revolutionaries the Audio world without analog Jack ? I don't see it.

1/ lightning port is high speed data transfer port...it means D.A.T.A only!

2/ Headphones will need to have built-in DAC and Analog Amp circuitry to utilize this Lightning port, which is not different in speed and data than USB C ?

3/ How does a headphones get Top Of The Lines Built-in DAC and Analog amping circuitry ? Totally non-sense. Let's say it is possible, and expensive, and then what ? Ever thought of how much an HD800 in this form may cost ? Because an Amp of good quality for Hd800 is in the expensive tier! Let alone the weight .....lol

A/ you can not swap headphones from A/B...etc, because that mean you are swapping the whole thing, DAC, Amplifier, headphones.....heavy, bulky....etc.
B/ How can you charge while enjoying music ? Another thing that make no sense

4/ Bluetooth or whatever wireless form of connection it has, the bandwidth is very limited, and even if it was possible to adapt into Apple new wireless technology, how will it beat a traditional Top of the line traditional DAP+AMP+headphones ?

I do not like this, and I will not be buying IPhone 7, even for my wife who loves IPhone, because it is ridiculous. I rather spend money on a smartphone with better Audio circuitry and analog jack, whether 3.5 or 2.5mm, doesn't matter.

Now, to summarize all of the above ? iPhone 7 will revolutionaries the Compact, portability of enjoying music ....and yet will not satisfy the hardcore, or audiophile people. Now, this is more like it

Mar 20, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #18 of 1,216
In fact, I'd go as far to say that this will mark the death of the 3.5mm connector. 

It'll revolutionize the audio world since we will now see new form factors for headphones, and people will actually buy those new types of wired and wireless audio gear.

Mar 20, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #19 of 1,216
Its not going to revolutionize anything magically.

Mainstreamer consumers will buy the new devices/headphones which connect to these upgraded iPhones like they've bought beats headphones in the past, like sheep. Meanwhile, the niche market of portable audiophiles will continue as it always has. At most, some companies will want to jump on the gravy train producing a few headphones for the new connection.

The end basically. We're a long way off losing the 3.5mm input surrounding the portable audio hobby.

Mar 20, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #20 of 1,216
In fact, we recently asked Audeze COO Sankar Thiagasamudram, whose company created some of the first Lightning-ready headphones without any knowledge of the rumors, what he thought of Apple’s rumored plan.

“I think it’s great, actually,” Thiagasamudram said. “Not just for us but [for the] industry as well … it forces a lot of higher fidelity connections … It also allows us to do a lot of things because we can now send information back to the phone. For example, I can put a microphone inside my headphone, and every time I take the headphones off I can automatically pause the song.”

And that’s just one of the many applications Sankar is excited about. His prediction when it comes to Bluetooth vs Lightning in the new system?

“I think more of the mainstream people will go wireless, and the hi-res people who care about fidelity will go Lightning

Mar 20, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #22 of 1,216
Its not going to revolutionize anything magically.

Mainstreamer consumers will buy the new devices/headphones which connect to these upgraded iPhones like they've bought beats headphones in the past, like sheep. Meanwhile, the niche market of portable audiophiles will continue as it always has. At most, some companies will want to jump on the gravy train producing a few headphones for the new connection.

The end basically. We're a long way off losing the 3.5mm input surrounding the portable audio hobby.

This is exactly it, but you forgot one important thing.

*Smartphone* can now be superbly in audio quality which can aim toward High-end quality as well as a smartphone. Now, which company will make the move first ? The technologies are out there for grasp, and also the huge market. LG is doing some good innovations lately, will they keep up with it ? Their B&O hifi plus is only mid-tier at most, but that should be good enough....now where is our high-end ? A port for Balanced connection 2.5mm and a port for regular phone and SE connection 3.5mm ? Where is it ?

Mar 20, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #23 of 1,216
Personally, I think the best way to obtain higher end audio from smartphones or iPhones is by doing what some companies have caught on early with already, utilizing small portable dac/amp devices like Chord Mojo, Oppo HA-2, Tralucent DacAmp One which all have their own independent power supply. In their best form they will outclass any phones audio quality and as Mojo is proving many standalone DAPs on the market as well.

Having a separate power supply for the audio stage is a significant factor. That's the only good I see from Apple doing what they're, possibly some more decent dac/amps on the market. I don't care much for any focus on enhanced audio quality smartphones personally if you wanting to obtain high-end results. 

Mar 20, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #24 of 1,216
Personally, I think the best way to obtain higher end audio from smartphones or iPhones is by doing what some companies have caught on early with already, utilizing small portable dac/amp devices like Chord Mojo, Oppo HA-2, Tralucent DacAmp One which all have their own independent power supply. In their best form they will outclass any phones audio quality and as Mojo is proving many standalone DAPs on the market as well.

Having a separate power supply for the audio stage is a significant factor. That's the only good I see from Apple doing what they're, possibly some more decent dac/amps on the market. I don't care much for any focus on enhanced audio quality smartphones personally if you wanting to obtain high-end results. 

You can do it as simple as having packed a phone with quality audio processing components , then you want stacking ? Buy back up battery, or simply a phone and go :). Stacking is too present, and now, the future of the market is out there, just a phone with quality audio circuitry, period. If Vivo Xplay 5 had a microSD and a balanced analog output, I would jump on it, but seeing how fast these Chinese phones are progressing, gives it a few years and we will soon see it

Dual es9028 DAC and 3x oppa amps in the phone...wow

Mar 20, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #25 of 1,216
You can do it as simple as having packed a phone with quality audio processing components , then you want stacking ? Buy back up battery, or simply a phone and go
smily_headphones1.gif
. Stacking is too present, and now, the future of the market is out there, just a phone with quality audio circuitry, period.

I was actually just speaking to someone about it.

Implementing something like a separate Sabre DAC along with all these amazing components you're requesting is a lot easier said than done when dealing with noise, Wifi, mobile radio signals and isolating the noise as FiiO X7 is expressing already with its noise issues when streaming. I'm not sure the cost in doing so will be worth the consumer base around it either, Apple could easily do so if they wanted, they have the tech and $$$, but compared to a mainstream phone they develop the numbers this audiophile iPhone would sell is laughable to them.  Its much easier just to make the device separate. And the big banger sausage for is the audio portion having its own power supply, not sharing it with the UI and phones mobile reception.

But we will see, I'm sure there will be some interesting phones out in the future. Just my high-end IEMs will be plugging into portable dac/amps when a phones concerned. 
smile.gif

Mar 20, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #26 of 1,216
I was actually just speaking to someone about it.

Implementing something like a separate Sabre DAC along with all these amazing components you're requesting is a lot easier said than done when dealing with noise, Wifi, mobile radio signals and isolating the noise as FiiO X7 is expressing already with its noise issues when streaming. I'm not sure the cost in doing so will be worth the consumer base around it either, Apple could easily do so if they wanted, they have the tech and $$$, but compared to a mainstream phone they develop the numbers this audiophile iPhone would sell is laughable to them.  Its much easier just to make the device separate. And the big banger sausage for is the audio portion having its own power supply, not sharing it with the UI and phones mobile reception.

But we will see, I'm sure there will be some interesting phones out in the future. Just my high-end IEMs will be plugging into portable dac/amps when a phones concerned. :smile:  

Ok, I don't know why X7 is noisy against EMI, but "shielding" for solid state components is simple. Have you seen Onkyo DP-X1 ? Dead quiet....they simply put DAC-Analog processing into a separate cabinet, wifi, processing power is into another cabinet. X7 probably have these wifi and Bluetooth chips too close to the DAC and or Analog circuitry !

From an engineering standpoint, it is easy to "shield" these old interferences. Also, Aluminum is not good enough shielding, the better conductivity the metal is, the better it shields off interferences and noises. Keep in mind, these Chips and Components are dead quiet when they work.....they are not like they were 8-10 years ago.

But anyways, just watch and see. I do understand where you are coming from, and hence many companies are not doing it.

Mar 20, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #27 of 1,216
We're venturing into an off-topic scenario here.

Rather than continue I'll just let you know that I've acknowledged your post. 
smile.gif

Mar 20, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #28 of 1,216
I like it how iOS and Android is getting more and more similar yet the OEMs that stands behind it are starting to have radically different vision. Apple with going with even lesser stuff internally and moving it outside relying on supporting accessories meanwhile Android OEMs starts to put audiophile DAC and competent amp component and to the point where it started to become modular like G5. It will be quite an exciting future but I'll bet my money on modularity, I don't think people mind carrying a bit thicker and a bit bulkier phone with better replaceable components instead of a closed isolated unit that requires many accessories to be actually quite functional.

Mar 20, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #29 of 1,216
I like it how iOS and Android is getting more and more similar yet the OEMs that stands behind it are starting to have radically different vision. Apple with going with even lesser stuff internally and moving it outside relying on supporting accessories meanwhile Android OEMs starts to put audiophile DAC and competent amp component and to the point where it started to become modular like G5. It will be quite an exciting future but I'll bet my money on modularity, I don't think people mind carrying a bit thicker and a bit bulkier phone with better replaceable components instead of a closed isolated unit that requires many accessories to be actually quite functional.

Agreed, and IPhone 7 does not thrill my interest. I am here because I don't feel it will be revolutionaries like the title say :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back