iPhone 7/7+ Compact External DAC/Amp Thread
Jan 6, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #92 of 199
Exciting news!

Shure just announced IEM cables with builtin in DAC for lightning:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/831402/shure-announces-lightning-terminated-iem-cable-ces-2017#post_13147611

I have been using Audeze Sine with their Cipher cable which is a similar setup. Battery drain is minimal - about 3% an hour. That is for a magnetic planar headphone too.

Having said all of that, I find that the AK XB10 Bluetooth adapter to be excellent with it's built in AAC decoder. The only downside is that it requires charging like all bluetooth devices. The Shure cable and the Audeze Cipher just use power from the phone.

I am finding less and less personal desire to stack any type of amp/DAC with my iPhone and learning more towards a cable or bluetooth solution.

Jan 10, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #93 of 199
I'm also looking for a prettier solution for IEMs on the go. I'm not inclined to lug around a brick dac with my iphone anymore. 
Will the Cipher cable work with my UE11s? Do they even sell the Cipher cable seperately?

Jan 10, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #94 of 199
  I'm also looking for a prettier solution for IEMs on the go. I'm not inclined to lug around a brick dac with my iphone anymore. 
Will the Cipher cable work with my UE11s? Do they even sell the Cipher cable seperately?

Unfortunately, Audeze only makes these for their own headphones and IEM. They could probably be modded for any connector, but the cable is a flat and thick so will not work well at all for over ear.

If your UE have the mmcx connector, then the upcoming Shure cable mentioned above should work fine.

Jan 10, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #95 of 199

Unfortunately, Audeze only makes these for their own headphones and IEM. They could probably be modded for any connector, but the cable is a flat and thick so will not work well at all for over ear.

If your UE have the mmcx connector, then the upcoming Shure cable mentioned above should work fine.

I suspected this was the case. Unfortunately all Ultimate Ears CIEMs have the 2-pin connector. I'll give a try to the AAW Capri cable on Indiegogo, although I was really hoping to have something sooner than that. 

Jan 10, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #96 of 199
My stock apple dongle just went to complete poo-poo after being glitchy for a few weeks. It would pause and play randomly, then sometimes the volume or pause button in my headphone cable wouldn't work.

I need a replacement that's similar in size - I'd rather not carry around something that is almost the size oh my phone.

Subscribing and will finish reading this thread later on.

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #97 of 199
My stock apple dongle just went to complete poo-poo after being glitchy for a few weeks. It would pause and play randomly, then sometimes the volume or pause button in my headphone cable wouldn't work.

I need a replacement that's similar in size - I'd rather not carry around something that is almost the size oh my phone.

Subscribing and will finish reading this thread later on.

Apple store?

Jan 11, 2017 at 2:40 AM Post #99 of 199
No I want something better that will last longer. Sorry I somehow missed saying that.

If you play mostly AAC files (Apple Music), then the Astell Kern XB10 Bluetooth may be a viable option. For iOS it will stream at full AAC bit rates. It sounds pretty good and works very well with iOS. It even displays a battery bar next to the BT icon. Downside is that it runs on battery

I like it enough where I am going to sell my DFR. Just can beat clipping the XB10 to my belt or pant pocket and not have my phone physically connected to it. I also have it connected to my MacBook with fully support Apt-X.

Jan 11, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #100 of 199
If you play mostly AAC files (Apple Music), then the Astell Kern XB10 Bluetooth may be a viable option. For iOS it will stream at full AAC bit rates. It sounds pretty good and works very well with iOS. It even displays a battery bar next to the BT icon. Downside is that it runs on battery

I like it enough where I am going to sell my DFR. Just can beat clipping the XB10 to my belt or pant pocket and not have my phone physically connected to it. I also have it connected to my MacBook with fully support Apt-X.
Hmm that's pretty interesting. I'll look into that more thanks.

Jan 11, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #101 of 199
Hmm that's pretty interesting. I'll look into that more thanks.

Forgot to mention that the XB10 also has a built in mic for Siri and phone calls.

Jan 11, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #103 of 199
  Does it also do volume and track control with the headphones remote?  I was reading the specs and it didnt really say.  I wish these dac/amps would pass thru remote control functions.

Yes, both volume and FF, RR, skip, stop. You can also pair it to 2 different devices and there is a button to switch between the devices.

Jan 13, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #104 of 199
I suspected this was the case. Unfortunately all Ultimate Ears CIEMs have the 2-pin connector. I'll give a try to the [COLOR=FF4400]AAW Capri[/COLOR] cable on Indiegogo, although I was really hoping to have something sooner than that. 

Backed the Capri too! Pretty excited for this device, if it does deliver as promised, i might sell my remaining dap and do away with my iPhone only :grinning:

Jan 16, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #105 of 199
anyone here uses the hrt microstreamer with IP7? im contemplating whether to get the microstreamer or the Dragonfly Black. 
Im comparing with both of them because i can get the microstreamer (2nd hand) at the same price as the DFB.
Currently using the Etymotic ER4PT and using my IP7/MBP to listen through spotify.

Any help is greatly appreciated! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back