iPhone 7/7+ Compact External DAC/Amp Thread
Dec 21, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #76 of 199
  My question is How do I connect from the lightning connector of my Iphone 7 + to USB B like on the back of a Woo WA7??? Id like to avoid multible connections to acheive a sonically solid connection. Any ideas? I cant be the first guy to do it
Thanks

Get one of these:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter

You get both a USB A port and a lightning port on this adapter. Connect the USB B to your DAC and the lightning port to a charger so you can bypass the 100 mA limit from the phone battery.

Dec 21, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #77 of 199
Dec 22, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #78 of 199
My only issue is that one end of the cable needs to be a square type b connection.

You just use a USB A to USB B cable. Just like you would connecting to your PC. I had a typo in my post, the USB 3.0 CCK adapter has a female USB A socket.

Dec 23, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #79 of 199
I have an Astell Kern XB10 on the way:

https://us.astellnkern.com/collections/accessories/products/astell-kern-ak-xb10

This is one of the few devices that support AAC codec so it should pair with iOS devices and play AAC files at full bit rate instead of the crappy SBC default codec.

The Sine headphones have worked great, but I would also like a very portable solution for IEMs when I need better sound isolation. Plus I had an Amazon gift card to use so will give the XB10 a try and report back. Should be an easy A/B comparison comparing wired DFR to BT XB10 on AAC tracks through my Laylas. Other folks have mostly positive reviews on the XB10 and I really like the fact it has balanced out since most of my cables are wired for the AK 2.5mm balanced connector back from my AK DAP days. If this works out, I will likely order a custom headphone cable with a really short length so I can just clip the XB10 onto my shirt or some type of lanyard. Ironically I have an AK branded lanyard from a past Can Jam.

Dec 27, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #80 of 199
I just got the Ultrasone Pro 900i for Christmas. My awesome Mom surprised me. I have an iPhone 7+ and was looking into the E17k as a amp/dac pair. But after reading this thread from beginning to end, I'm a bit lost in the best thing I should do to drive these cans on the go.

Any advice please? I'm currently letting the cans burn in for 100 hours. Average burn is 5 hours a day using the JPL burning track (looped).

Dec 27, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #81 of 199
Hello and happy Christmas/ Holidays / festive season to all who celebrate these Western festivities, and greetings and best wishes to everyone else! I have been using my iPhone 7+ 256GB for a while now with my CEntrance DACportable via the Apple USB 3 cable/ adapter (the one that others have mentioned with a female USB 3 Output and lightning power in socket), and I still experience occasional problems with it. The main problem I am getting is terrible sound quality which ends in a click / pop and the music stops playing in the Onkyo HF Hi Res music player app, at the same time the DACportable switches itself off. My instinct says its caused by the DACportable getting too hot - although it's not Really hot - it's just warm to the touch and can still be comfortably held in my hand. The remedy is just to leave it powered off for a few minutes - then it plays perfectly! It doesn't matter what format/ bit rate/ sample rate I'm using or whether it's PCM or DSD via DoP.

The DACportable doesn't seem to like it when I have WiFi on as well, although as with the presumed overheating problem, it's very inconsistent - sometimes it's fine, while others it just pops and clicks and switches itself off.

In the instruction / information leaflet, CEntrance say that the power can be left plugged in, but that seems to be the primary culprit in the "overheating" issue. So I'm leaving mine unplugged from the power cable until I have either finished using it, or noticed the battery getting a bit low. The only problem with that is a slight reduction in power output.

I tend to use the iPhone 7+ / CEntrance DACportable with either my Beyerdynamic T5p or Sennheiser IE8 (with a Silver plated copper cable and ACS custom molded Silicon tips - together they banish the IE8's obese bass and produce a very respectable musical sound). The DACportable powers even the T5p to any level I want, but it's a little under-powered when it comes to using my HiFiMAN HE-560.

As a result of the above issues I am thinking of changing to either the HiFi M8 or possibly the Cypher Labs Theorem 720. I would miss the compact lightweight nature of the DACportable, but I'm getting a bit frustrated with its hissy fits! Call me old fashioned but I would like to be able to just switch it on and use it when I want to, without having to wait for it to chill out. And I hate having to choose between WiFi or music! However, having said that I decided I ought to give it another try before posting this, and guess what.. It's warm and, whilst I type, it's playing perfectly at 5.6MHz DSD!

The one thing that seems consistent about the CEntrance DACportable is that its occasional issues are becoming less frequent the more I use it!

Dec 27, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #82 of 199
I spoke too soon.. After just 10-15 minutes the DACportable just stopped playing music, made some horrible buzzing noises and switched itself off!

However, something I had forgotten to mention is that I am suffering hacking- of both my phone and computer- on a daily basis, so, many of the problems I have spoken about may be a result of the hacking and no fault of the DACportable. Apologies to CEntrance (who are very helpful and supportive if you do have trouble with their products) if that is the case!

Dec 29, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #83 of 199
After further testing it seems that the CEntrance DACportable simply doesn't like multi-tasking, i.e. playing music And going online. It also seems happier with the old USB2 Lightning to female USB type A adapter..

I have just listened to two and a half HiRes albums, each about an hour long, in a single playlist, with the Onkyo app converting the different high bit rates to "High Quality 5.6MHz DSD". It had one minor problem (a crackle and pop) during the first change of format (352.8kHz Wav to 88.2kHz Flac) but then handled the next change (to 48kHz wav) without so much as a pause! I deliberately left my phone face-down to avoid overheating since the DACportable is strapped on the back of my iPhone 7+ which definitely helped - it is only just what I'd class as "warm", and the 2+ hours of continuous playback and DSD conversion used 10% of my phone battery (73 to 63%), while I noticed the DACportable - which had already been playing for a couple of hours beforehand - go from the full 3 battery LED's to 2 at about the time it made the change from the second to the third album! So, playing at a fairly high volume through my IE8's for 4+ hours used less than half its battery.

My conclusion is that while this combination of iPhone 7+ and DACportable may be a bit sensitive, it's also very efficient, and the sound quality which I haven't really mentioned before, is excellent! The soundstage through any of my 'phones is wide and clear with decent imaging and a pitch black background. Vocals are clean with no hint of sibilance, and the bass is punchy, not weak or bloated - everything is just as it should be! The only shortfall is found when trying to power my HE-560's, although even at maximum volume the sound was still crisp and clear.

A final word of advice for anyone using this device is this: If the music stops playing and / or you experience crackling, hold the power button down until it switches off (if it hasn't already), then again to turn it back on, press pause on the music player app and then press play to get the music playing again. If the sound quality is very poor and the DACportable is very warm, switch it off and leave it off for a few minutes to let it cool down. It doesn't take long and should play as normal when you turn it back on. I hope that helps. Despite its quirks this DAC/amp is really growing on me! I will certainly keep it for the foreseeable future and hope that CEntrance are able to provide the promised cable to go directly from the iPhone's Lightning socket to the DACportable's micro USB input, because at least some of the problems I've encountered are definitely due to movement where the cables join, and in the sockets. Don't discount this little device!

Jan 4, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #84 of 199

I spoke too soon.. After just 10-15 minutes the DACportable just stopped playing music, made some horrible buzzing noises and switched itself off!

Couple of data points for you which you can add to the main page or not.  This should work with the iphone 7....

I have an iphone 5 on ios 10 and a iphone 6s on ios 9 and an ipad mini on ios 10.  I recently snagged a deal on the hifiman 400i and fiio q1 combo.  Also found a great deal on centrance dacport hd.  I just got the usb 3 cck today and am testing it out.  It does not appear to be compatible with ios 9.  edit: Found out you need 9.2 or later.  I'm jailbroken at 9.0.2 and not sure if I want to lose my jailbreak yet.

That said I am running the cck with my iphone 5 and ipad driving both the centrance hd and q1 fine.

Observations:
  1. I plug in a power source (battery), centrance, and headphones to the cck.  I also turn on the battery.  I then plug this into the phone.  While the centrance is being recognized (airplay icon) I get some pops like MusiCol mentioned.  Could be 1 pop or it could be multiple pops.  It def doesnt sound good and not sure with extended use would it damage the cans?
  2. Now I just plug in the cans after the amp has been recognized.  Of course this doesnt mean some sort of surge issue isnt happening with the amp (likely not good).
  3. Looks like the power source is important.  I have a small thin battery I assume is 1A output (my iphone can pull 800ma from it).  I also have a 2.1A bulky battery.  The centrance does not appear to get enough power from the 1A battery.  So now I've got to look for a 2.1A form factor.
  4. I assume this will work on the 7.  The usb3 cck seems like a driver related issue on ios 10 vs 9.  since it works on ios 10 on 2 different pieces of hardware vs my newer 6s on ios 9 this most likely means driver compatibility.  
  5. No power source needed for q1.

MusiCol - I'm trying various things, multi tasking, will listen for a few hrs and see if I get any pops (after 30m none so far).  Have you tried listening to non processor intensive music?

I assume everyone here on this thread is looking for portable solutions.  Now that I have my amp, cck, and battery - this is A LOT of cable!!  How do you have everything bound together?  I love the form factor of the centrance hd.  My original plan was to get a battery that is the same height as the centrance and the combined width would be the width of my iphone.  That would make for a sleek look without a lot of bulk.  But now that I'm looking at all this cable and combined with the cck I'm not sure if that idea is going to work well.  Now i'm thinking about just binding a battery with iphone.  Have the cck dangle and then my amp would just be inline somewhat like a volume control.  I like my original idea better though!  This makes me want to splurge and get the Oppo.

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #86 of 199
It's not pretty, but functional until I find a better solution.

Thanks for sharing.  That's what I was afraid of!  I know that I'll get shorter cables, although you have them wrapped pretty well.

Do you have all that in a bag or is any of it dangling?  Easy to access the volume?  I'm just contemplating my solution for public transit.  ATM its 6s->b&o h6.  I wont have that option once i upgrade the iphone.

Oh- do you get those occasional pops?  I only get them upon first connection and musicol gets them intermittently.

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #87 of 199
I'm getting the pops on first connection only. The volume is fairly easy to adjust where it is. I unplug the USB A out of the battery before stowing it in my bag, but when in use it's more or less stacked with the phone back to back.  The iPhone 7 will come with the lightning to 3.5mm adapter so you could still go straight into your B&O's - just leave the dongle on the headphones.

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #88 of 199
Anyone know if this is compatible with cck?
https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Micro-Adapter-Connector-Tablet/dp/B015GZOHKW/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

And what about this cable instead of cck? 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N77VPS3/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_3_w

Just trying to clean up some cable clutter!

I did a few searches to no avail.

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #89 of 199
  Anyone know if this is compatible with cck?
https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Micro-Adapter-Connector-Tablet/dp/B015GZOHKW/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

And what about this cable instead of cck? 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N77VPS3/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_3_w

Just trying to clean up some cable clutter!

I did a few searches to no avail.

Anything that says OTG is not for iOS. As for the cable, highly doubtful it will work since it is not MFi certified.

I have one of these Fiio L19 cables and so far it works on may iPhone 7 with latest iOS. This is not certified either and you have to buy from outside US:

http://penonaudio.com/L19-Lightning-to-Micro-USB?search=l19

No guarantee it will work in future iOS versions, but it's pretty compact.

Jan 6, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #90 of 199

Hey everyone. Try out the new iOS USB 3.0 CCK - this has a USB port for the DAC and a Lightning pot for the lightning charging cable.
Add to the list - M2Tech HiFace 2 also works with latest iphone 6 and above. 
I charge the phone with a battery pack while running the M2Tech Hiface 2 USB DAC on 24bit 192 kHz upsampling out to a FiO E18 hp amp.
Without doubt the iFi nano and micro works to. And you dont need a headphone amp!!
Still not so portable!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back