iPhone 7/7+ Compact External DAC/Amp Thread
Nov 8, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #46 of 199
Sometimes I use the Onkyo app if I'm away from home. Most of the time I use the Plex app which allows me to stream anything I own (mostly dad,wave and flac). I have a less than $100.00 server made from a 1tb USB drive and a raspberry pi so I don't tie up my laptop. The plex app works great.

Nov 8, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #48 of 199
  New member here, but this topic is exactly related to an issue I'm having with my iPhone 7 256gb.  This is in regards to the iPhone 7 paired with the Sound Blaster E5.  I have done extensive troubleshooting, and there is an issue with clicks/pops/skips throughout all tested music files with the iPhone 7.  My old iPhone 6 does not exhibit the issue nor does my iPad pro 9.7 both of which are running iOS 10.0.2.  Therefore, I'm not trying to bash any particular product but I would advise against spending money on an iPhone 7/SBE5 combo at this time until someone figures out the issue. I have posted a bug report to the apple beta program and sent a message to creative labs technical support.  Trying to figure out if this is a hardware or software issue and whether or not my phone needs to be sent back for repair/replacement.  Also, to note, the issue is NOT present with the included 3.5mm to lightning adapter (the only reason I haven't already sent phone for repair).  I have tried the USB 3 camera kit and a male to male USB cable with the Sound Blaster E5 (yes thats alot of cables), and that setup does not work as the external dac is not recognized and does not work at all with the CCK.  Very frustrating issue.  I would honestly like a recommendation from someone for a portable dac-amp combo that is known to actually work with the iPhone 7 without any sound quality issues.  I am willing to change to something else if needed.  Thanks in advance for any help.  

I have the exact same issue. I have an iPhone 7 Plus 256GB. Lightning to Sound Blaster E5 presents all sorts of fun issues in regards to popping, skipping, clicking, screeching. The iPhone itself works fine otherwise. The Lightning to 3.5mm adapter works great. It works fine in both of my cars using Lightning to USB.

I'm running iOS 10.1.1 on the iPhone and the most recent firmware available for the E5.

The Sound Blaster E5 works great with my 9.7 iPad Pro. Also running 10.1.1. It worked amazingly with my iPhone 6s (also ran iOS 10) all the way until I got the iPhone 7 Plus at launch. It also worked without issue way back on my iPhone 6. I also use it on my desktop PC running Windows 10. 

The issue is definitely something with the iPhone 7 and the E5 just not getting along. Hopefully can be solved through software/firmware updates.

Nov 8, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #49 of 199
Thanks for the E5 updates. I've noted the potential issue. Some AQ Dragonfly owners have reported similar problems and there is suppose to be a firmware update in the works.

Nov 8, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #50 of 199
Hi another new member here

So i recently switched to the iphone 7 and i have an oppo HA-2
i was wondering what music player app do i have to use to play my lossless files such as flac and wav
im pretty sure that the standard ios music app won't do right ?

if you want to use the iOS Music app and iTunes, you can convert FLAC to Apple Lossless (ALAC) using DBpoweramp Music Converter.

Nov 9, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #52 of 199
Anyone have experience with iPhone feeding to Zuperdac?

Bought one on Massdrop, planned to use with HD6XX.

I'm currently using the Zuperdac but its a little underpowered, even for my OG Hifiman HE-400. I feel like they'll work better with something that's easier to drive. Right now looking to upgrade to either a Mojo or HA-2SE. 

Nov 9, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #53 of 199
  I'm currently using the Zuperdac but its a little underpowered, even for my OG Hifiman HE-400. I feel like they'll work better with something that's easier to drive. Right now looking to upgrade to either a Mojo or HA-2SE. 

I am curious to know how well the volume works with iOS. For both my Dragonfly and GOV2+, the volume is lower by about 25% when playing from my iPhone versus same number of bars connected to my MacBook. I would bet that Zuperdac behaves the same.

Nov 9, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #54 of 199

I am curious to know how well the volume works with iOS. For both my Dragonfly and GOV2+, the volume is lower by about 25% when playing from my iPhone versus same number of bars connected to my MacBook. I would bet that Zuperdac behaves the same.

I'm also getting the same results with iOS as your Dragonfly and GOV2+. Although the slight decrease in volume the Zuperdac tends to sound a little more lively and open compared to my iPad Pro 12.9" headphone jack. 

Nov 9, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #55 of 199
  I'm also getting the same results with iOS as your Dragonfly and GOV2+. Although the slight decrease in volume the Zuperdac tends to sound a little more lively and open compared to my iPad Pro 12.9" headphone jack. 

Thanks for confirming. I suspect this is something caused by IOS and not the DACs. I've heard this is also a problem on some Android devices.

Nov 9, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #57 of 199

Thanks. Will wait for impression/review on HA-2SE. I think it's good option considering that it has built-in Apple CCK and dimension can be easily stacked to iPhone compared with Mojo. Bass boost, gain switches and power bank function sweeten the deal.

Nov 9, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #58 of 199
Thanks. Will wait for impression/review on HA-2SE. I think it's good option considering that it has built-in Apple CCK and dimension can be easily stacked to iPhone compared with Mojo. Bass boost, gain switches and power bank function sweeten the deal.

Exactly, I'm slowing going through the thousands of posts on both the HA-2SE/Mojo to what i'll decide on. For now I just picked up a Shanling M1 to try out, so that too could pair well with the Mojo. 
smile.gif

Nov 11, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #59 of 199
Well after a couple months of use I thought I would be ok with stacking (GOV2+) or dongle (DragonFly) but for portability, I hate both. This is the same sentiment I had last year when I decided a DAP was a better compromise instead of stacking since the size of most portable AMP/DAC devices is not much smaller than a DAP. I really had hopes for Dragonfly, but no matter what I do, it's not really pocketable with the CCK and I don't think it's a good idea to have it dangling outside of my pocket. In fact, I'm getting to hate headphone cables too when I'm on the go. Maybe Apple was right that wireless is the way to go. I also will take a look at Audeze products with their cipher cable.

Nov 16, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #60 of 199
Hi guys. I got my new iPhone 7+ 256GB today (updating from a 64GB iPhone 5S) and am in the long process of transferring all my apps to the new phone.

I have a CEntrance DACportable which sounds amazing - both on my HE-560 and newly acquired T5p (traded here on Head-Fi recently). The gain switch and volume wheel are perfect for giving a wonderfully fine control over the volume for both types of headphones, and the Bass and Treble boost buttons are gentle and musical - less powerful than on the HiFi M8.

Unfortunately the DACportable doesn't seem to like working while the phone functionality is switched on! It's great on Airplane Mode, and it doesn't mind WiFi, so I'm keen to find out if the same happens on my new iPhone 7+. I should have an answer for you shortly. By the way, I was thinking of going for a Samsung S7 Edge, but with 130+ apps (yes, you read that right!) I'm tied to Apple phones. The number of apps is the reason its taking so long!

By the way, I've been in correspondence with the guys at CEntrance for a while (they sent me the DACportable in exchange for my faulty HiFi Skyn, which sounded amazing while it worked. They are expecting to have a CEntrance branded direct Lightning-to-micro-USB cable for their DACportable available very soon, and they've promised to send me one as soon as they're available, but for now I'm using an Apple CCK. I just bought the new USB3 version - the one with both a USB-type 'A' socket and a Lightning socket. I haven't tested this yet but I understand that the Lightning socket is for charging purposes only - no data traffic.

I'll be back with more info on the DACportable once I've got my new iPhone 7+ fully loaded and done a few listening tests! I also have an iBasso D10 which I'm going to try now with my iPhone 5S, while I wait..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back