iPhone 6s Sound Quality
Feb 18, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #676 of 881
  With all the talk of noise issues on 6s/6s Plus, this may be of interest. This may indicate that Apple recognizes the problem.

http://9to5mac.com/2016/02/16/emi-shielding-iphone-7/

Oh that is great news in my book as i held to my iPhone 6 as soon as i experienced the EMI on the new models both with the SE535s or the SE846s.

Feb 18, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #677 of 881
The problem is both high spl and low impedance. A higher impedance iem would be much better if the noise is a concern. The Mee Audio Pinnacle P1 would be a good choice. It does use up most of the volume bandwidth but gets plenty loud. Only highly dynamic classical music may be an issue for getting the quite passages loud enough.

Great news on the shielding for the next model. Assuming there is still a 3.5mm connection.

Feb 18, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #678 of 881
The problem is both high spl and low impedance. A higher impedance iem would be much better if the noise is a concern. The Mee Audio Pinnacle P1 would be a good choice. It does use up most of the volume bandwidth but gets plenty loud. Only highly dynamic classical music may be an issue for getting the quite passages loud enough.

Great news on the shielding for the next model. Assuming there is still a 3.5mm connection.

The problem is not high spl and low impedance, because it's 100% to blame on the iPhone 6S and not on such IEM's. If I use an external DAC / amp, all such EMI noise problems disappear.

The Shure SE846 even works on the Taurus MKII which is intended for power hungry headphone. Apple simply didn't do a good job regarding sound quality with the iPhone 6S.

Feb 18, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #679 of 881
The problem is not high spl and low impedance, because it's 100% to blame on the iPhone 6S and not on such IEM's. If I use an external DAC / amp, all such EMI noise problems disappear.

The Shure SE846 even works on the Taurus MKII which is intended for power hungry headphone. Apple simply didn't do a good job regarding sound quality with the iPhone 6S.

Sigh. The specs I've described are how you pick it up. SQ is great on the iPhone. EMI noise has nothing to do with SQ.

Feb 18, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #680 of 881
Been traveling this week, brought my iFi Nano along for the ride and had an opportunity on a longer flight to test out my Noble Savants with and without the iFi Nano on my 6S Plus. Using the Onkyo HF app, I was able to play DSD files natively with the iFi and there is absolutely a clear difference between the songs played through the iFi vs those played just through the 6s. I understand that there are multiple reasons for this, but I had somehow allowed myself to think that the difference was subtle and so I hadn't been traveling with the iFi Nano. Now, I'm beginning to see that if I'm wanting to hear music consistently at the iFi Nano level of SQ, I'm going to need to bring it along going forward or look at getting a device that plays my FLAC and DSD files natively, I.e., Fiio X7, Pioneer XDP-100r, etc... Not sure I can make a leap to the Pono, however...

Feb 18, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #681 of 881
Been traveling this week, brought my iFi Nano along for the ride and had an opportunity on a longer flight to test out my Noble Savants with and without the iFi Nano on my 6S Plus. Using the Onkyo HF app, I was able to play DSD files natively with the iFi and there is absolutely a clear difference between the songs played through the iFi vs those played just through the 6s. I understand that there are multiple reasons for this, but I had somehow allowed myself to think that the difference was subtle and so I hadn't been traveling with the iFi Nano. Now, I'm beginning to see that if I'm wanting to hear music consistently at the iFi Nano level of SQ, I'm going to need to bring it along going forward or look at getting a device that plays my FLAC and DSD files natively, I.e., Fiio X7, Pioneer XDP-100r, etc... Not sure I can make a leap to the Pono, however...

I was a fairly early adopter of the Centrance HiFi-Skyn via IndieGogo for this exact reason. My iPhone 6S is my primary DAP, and for home use, I listen either through my phone or my computer via Centrance HiFi-M8 -> MrSpeakers Ether C. But for on-the-go, the HiFi-Skyn was supposed to be the device that gives me HQ playback (both hi-res FLAC and DSD) from my iPhone for my IEMs in a clean package. Unfortunately, there have been many delays, and the iPhone 6 version of the Skyn is the last one to get approved... but patiently waiting, hopefully any day now! Early reviews of the sound quality (on the 6+ and iPhone 5 versions) is good. Uses AK4490 DAC (same DAC as Schiit Bifrost) and the Amp should do 300mW per channel into 32ohm, so lots of power...

Feb 18, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #682 of 881
This is bizarre. I had no problems with the 6S with my K10's,until I hooked it up to an amp. Onkyo HA200. Clicks and pops all over, even in airplane mode. Anyone any idea why?

Feb 19, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #683 of 881
Less than 110 db SPL/mW is not that sensitive so it should be fine. Dynamic drivers iems are a safer choice for that matter. Impedance is better being near 20 ohms for the iPhone headphone out.

Thanks. I'll test it out with some of my mates' headphones.
If things don't work out I'll just swap with my sister's 6S (her's was bought 4 months after mine) because it seems to be having a different DAC and sounds less harsh. In my 6S the headphone jack locks in with a small click when plugging in whereas on her's it just locks in smoothly without a click. 

Feb 20, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #684 of 881
So I bought a fiio x7 to go along with my JH audio Angie 2. I've been sitting here a/Bing them with my iPhone 6s Plus. The fiio is loaded with flac files and the iPhone I'm just streaming Apple Music and honestly I can't really tell a difference. If anything the fiios bass might be a little tighter. Am I crazy? With the far superior battery life and software I think I might just stick with my iPhone.

Feb 20, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #685 of 881
So I bought a fiio x7 to go along with my JH audio Angie 2. I've been sitting here a/Bing them with my iPhone 6s Plus. The fiio is loaded with flac files and the iPhone I'm just streaming Apple Music and honestly I can't really tell a difference. If anything the fiios bass might be a little tighter. Am I crazy? With the far superior battery life and software I think I might just stick with my iPhone.

Someone even liked the iPhone against the AK240? So I suppose it should sound good next to a cheap DAP?

But that's why I don't even bother with DAP's. Better get an excellent portable DAC / AMP which gives much better sound quality for alot less money.

Feb 20, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #687 of 881
You are not crazy, the iPhone/ iPod are just that good, you could have saved money by just buying the Relisten app on your Phone. Cost 50 dollar/ Euro but is way cheaper than any Dap. I can understand your dissapointment as you thought with the X7 you did buy the Holy Grail of sound. My advice is trust only your own ears. An X1/X3 would have been enough for your Flacs.

Feb 20, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #688 of 881
You are not crazy, the iPhone/ iPod are just that good, you could have saved money by just buying the Relisten app on your Phone. Cost 50 dollar/ Euro but is way cheaper than any Dap. I can understand your dissapointment as you thought with the X7 you did buy the Holy Grail of sound. My advice is trust only your own ears. An X1/X3 would have been enough for your Flacs.

Why pay $50 on that app, when the Onkyo HF Player should do the same job for a lot less??

Feb 20, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #689 of 881
If you are happy with the Onkyo app, ok by me, just a tip I did give to the have the same result of most Dabs costing way more. You can try Relisten for free, and see if Onkyo does the same for you.

Feb 20, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #690 of 881

Thanks for confirming I'm not crazy:punch: Luckily I bought from a place with a 60 day no hassle return policy. So back it goes on Monday. Is the chord mojo a big upgrade iPhone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back