iPhone 5C and 5S: audio output
Jun 29, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #346 of 391
I loved that iPhone 4s and at first more so than the 5s.

These days i have no doubt that the 5s is better. More clear, controlled and very fast.

Actually for powering iems a non European iPhone 5s is one of the best headphone out that i have ever tried. Wonderful.

Password must contain at least one capital letter, the meaning of life, 14 of your favorite baby names, the Hamlet plot summary and a hug.

Jun 30, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #347 of 391
But I heard from many people that iPhone 4s is of warmer signature... Don't know about others

I think that iPhone 4s is a bit slower hence sounds a pinch fatter. On the other hand the 5s sounds a bit more clear and refined. It's exquisite actually.

These days whenever i have the chance i always choose the 5s over my iPad 3 (which to me sounds almost identical to the 4s).

Anyway it's all nitpicking. Every recent idevice has a fantastic headphone out (unfortunately in Europe handhelds are a bit worse output power wise due to the cap).

Password must contain at least one capital letter, the meaning of life, 14 of your favorite baby names, the Hamlet plot summary and a hug.

Jul 7, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #348 of 391

Hi.  I have the new iPhone 5s and have compared it's audio quality side by side with the 4s using some technical measurement procedures and of course my ears, a few different pairs of headphones and my favorite music.

I have noted below the output voltage of both iPhones at their highest volume setting while playing a several different 0dB tones.

iPhone 4s:

1.14V (line level load both w/ channels driven) (no clipping)
  .87V (16ohm headphone load w/ both channels driven) (clipping occurred)

iPhone 5s:

1.02v (line level load w/ both channels driven) (no clipping)
  .92   (16ohm headphone load w/ both channels driven) (no clipping)

As you can see, technically the 4s is louder but only with a line level load (connected to external amplifier).  When the headphone load was connected, the device introduced distortion and the output voltage dropped.

With the 5s, the voltage dropped during connection of the headphone load as expected, but much less than the 4s, additionally there was no audible distortion.

Conclusion

The 5s does not quite go as "loud" but can drive a low impedance load with less enough voltage drop than the 4s to actually go louder with headphones attached.  This also indicates better dynamic range.

Also worth noting the headphone channel separation on the 5s was a little bit better as well.

As per my listening tests, I found both phones to have fantastic sound but the 5s sounded a tad cleaner, with better imaging, timing and overall accuracy - especially at higher volume levels with more difficult headphones loads.

Jul 8, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #349 of 391
Hi.  I have the new iPhone 5s and have compared it's audio quality side by side with the 4s using some technical measurement procedures and of course my ears, a few different pairs of headphones and my favorite music.

I have noted below the output voltage of both iPhones at their highest volume setting while playing a several different 0dB tones.

iPhone 4s:

iPhone 5s:

As you can see, technically the 4s is louder but only with a line level load (connected to external amplifier).  When the headphone load was connected, the device introduced distortion and the output voltage dropped.

With the 5s, the voltage dropped during connection of the headphone load as expected, but much less than the 4s, additionally there was no audible distortion.

Conclusion

The 5s does not quite go as "loud" but can drive a low impedance load with less enough voltage drop than the 4s to actually go louder with headphones attached.  This also indicates better dynamic range.

Also worth noting the headphone channel separation on the 5s was a little bit better as well.

As per my listening tests, I found both phones to have fantastic sound but the 5s sounded a tad cleaner, with better imaging, timing and overall accuracy - especially at higher volume levels with more difficult headphones loads.

Awesome information.

What your ears hear matches exactly my impressions. Loved to pieces my iPhone 4s hp out and now enjoying even a bit more my iPhone 5s.

In my book they drive low impedances better than many 'audiophile' bricks.

Jul 8, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #350 of 391

iPhone 4s:

iPhone 5s:

Conclusion

Thats a valuable input. Also can you please provide your subjective opinion regarding sound signature?

Many are descripting 5s as analytical, cold and 4s as warm sounding. Also 5s's highs seems to be brighter than 4s

Aug 18, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #351 of 391
  My Wife got a 5C and i compared the headphone out across an iPhone 5, iPod Touch 5th gen and an iPad 4th Gen and i can say that i was very impressed by the 5C output, so much so i've sold all those devices and bought myself a 5C.  I don't know what apple done with the circuit or the DAC but it sounds fantastic and the volume level is enough to drive my Philips L1 and my earphones.  iTunes never sounded so good.  Just my 2 cents.

+ Clear sound stage with plenty of detail
+ Muffled sound of iPhone 5 is gone
+ Clean bass, mids and treble

- Non so far

I do a direct comparison with iPhone 5, the newer 5S/5C and even the latest iPod do sound significantly better than iPhone 5 with a pair of mid range ear canal phones. Dynamic & details are jaw droopingly good. 

Aug 23, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #353 of 391
Has anyone tried plugging the Grado Gr8 into the 5S? Do you need an amp?
No , but I use the Gr10, and the result is awesome. I did replace the stock tips for Comply's and turn the bass on with the iPhone's EQ. You don't need an amp but if you want more grunt and 3D rhytm you can use an AK 10 Dac/amp, in Europe the Beyerdynamic A200p. On the road i never use the amp. If you use iTunes there is an Eq call simply equalizer and made for the iPhone, here the results are equally great. Most music I stream from WIMP who offer true HiFi sound, and the sound is a dream with the used combination.

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #354 of 391
No , but I use the Gr10, and the result is awesome. I did replace the stock tips for Comply's and turn the bass on with the iPhone's EQ. You don't need an amp but if you want more grunt and 3D rhytm you can use an AK 10 Dac/amp, in Europe the Beyerdynamic A200p. On the road i never use the amp. If you use iTunes there is an Eq call simply equalizer and made for the iPhone, here the results are equally great. Most music I stream from WIMP who offer true HiFi sound, and the sound is a dream with the used combination.

The thing is Gr10's impedance is only 32ohm, and the Gr08's is 120. I've read (from CNET and other sources) that the iPhones can still dive the Gr08 to acceptable volume, but the idea of plugging a 120 ohm headphone into a smartphone is still very confusing to me.

Aug 25, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #357 of 391
I'm listening to Sennheiser HD 25 1-II cans straight out of my 5S now and I'm blown away by how good they sound. They HD25s are 70 ohm. Normally, with a Sansa Fuze, I really need to amp them. They sound so good out of the 5S I'm not going to bother with an amp.

Aug 25, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #358 of 391
  I'm listening to Sennheiser HD 25 1-II cans straight out of my 5S now and I'm blown away by how good they sound. They HD25s are 70 ohm. Normally, with a Sansa Fuze, I really need to amp them. They sound so good out of the 5S I'm not going to bother with an amp.

the non european iPhone 5s is the best source i have ever tried for in ear monitors. And that includes a few dedicated amps and 'boutique' bricks.

I think i have read somewhere that it delivers -58dbs of channel crosstalk into a 8 ohms load which is plainly mindblowing.

The clarity, tightness and openness it delivers is jaw dropping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back