iPhone 5 Audio Quality with headphones? is it better than the iPhone 4S?
Oct 11, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #91 of 126
Quote:
No, I like for my jh13 to sound the way they sound out of my home set ups. Neither the iPhone 4 or 5 can come anywhere close to that. Which is why I purchased the godap 4.0. That brings the performance of my jh13 closer but not equal. If the iPhone 4 was as great sounding as you say it is, products like the godap, vmoda vamp, clas, fostex etc wouldn't exist. So shame on these manufacturers for producing products to bypass the internal dac when it's world class to begin with. What were they thinking. And people like myself and others who purchased the vamp and godaps should have their ears checked. This really is to the point of silliness and I'm finished posting about it.

Generally speaking there's hardware, ears, and then...marketing which in this hobby is far more important than in other realms. And when you think you're done placebo effect comes out and play. Many times it's all an illusion (or delusion:wink:

I've skimmed thru quite a few  AES papers that explain all this in excruciating detail

But i'm done with this disagreement. I respect you view but i happen to have my own one..

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #92 of 126
Your post seems to imply that the differences I hear is placebo or an illusion. And if not, then why even bring it up? You are really taking it too far now. I've said many times for those who listened to both and prefer the 4, that's fine. You can only trust your own ears. I've never even mention placebo or illusions when they preferred the 4 over the 5. But yet those are the terms you use to respond to my last post? Wow.

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #93 of 126
As stated at the beginning of my post i was generally speaking about this hobby.

In the end i don't disgree with you about iPhone 5. I deem it as a very good performer as well. We are not talking about snake oil here.

Oct 11, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #94 of 126
I think at this point the general consensus is that the iPhone 5 is horrible for BA IEMs, but it is generally good enough and maybe a slight improvement over the last generation for other kinds of IEMs (with high impedance that doesn't fluctuate) and headphones.

Are we in agreement?

Oct 11, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #95 of 126
No, I find the iPhone 5 is better than the iPhone 4 with both my w3000anv and multi, ba, driver jh13. I hear the same improvements with the jh13 as I do with my w3000. But it's my personal opinion of course. But both iPhones are still very close in sound.

Oct 11, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #96 of 126
I've stated that iPhone 5 is very good performer a few times.

Actually our disagreement is about the 4 vs 5. And difference is slight with a lot of headphones.

May be my english is lacking since i'm European. Dunno

You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother

Oct 23, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #98 of 126
so guys! i can now sell my 64 gig iPhone 4S and not have to worry about iphone 5 being worse?
i have kept my iPhone 4S for use with my car stereo and my music docking station

but there are so many different opinions on here! i am confused lol

Oct 27, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #99 of 126
To me the iPhone 5 sounds good I.e. a bit more forward in the midrange with a more civilized treble. To me measurements are meaningless. If you like a fat bass and bright (fatiguing IMO) treble then you may not like it. Admittedly the soundstage is more narrow with an up front presentation. I liked my 4S quite a bit but, the 5 sounds good
also but having the qualities noted above. I can't imagine that the differences would be a deal breaker.

Oct 28, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #100 of 126
The real game changer lies in the new connector - all digital and faster. Soon all kind of tempting stuff will emerge that will make good use of it.

Oct 28, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #101 of 126
The real game changer lies in the new connector - all digital and faster. Soon all kind of tempting stuff will emerge that will make good use of it.

The only concern is that the new third party device for the new lightning port will be expensive.

Oct 28, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #102 of 126
Does anyone know if Fiio have anything in the pipeline ?

Nov 3, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #103 of 126
i upgraded to the 5, not too long ago. Yes it is a slight step back from the 4S, but the differences are so subtle, most wont notice them. 

In terms of the lightning port, u can still get an adapter to make it 30pin(£25)!! ouch.

i was wondering, do u get a lod cable for the fiio, but instead of 30pin with a micro usb on the other side?? coz ive already ordered a lightning to micro usb adapter(£15). or would it be worth it for me to pay the extra £10 and get a 30pin?? 

Feb 24, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #104 of 126
Along with many of you, my app that is built using PhoneGapBuild 2.0.0 does not use the full height of the iPhone 5 display. It has two black bars of 88 pixels high surrounding it, with my app centered vertically. 
http://www.techyv.com/article/knowing-your-iphone-5-better#disqus_thread

Mar 2, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #105 of 126
Quote:
No, I find the iPhone 5 is better than the iPhone 4 with both my w3000anv and multi, ba, driver jh13. I hear the same improvements with the jh13 as I do with my w3000. But it's my personal opinion of course. But both iPhones are still very close in sound.

Perhaps it's because the JH13 has a higher mean impedance than many other multi BA IEMs so perhaps less affected by the higher ouput impedance. Multi ba or even impedance fluctuation are not an ussue as long as impedance at a given frequency doesn't drop too low relative to another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back