iPhone 5 as a source
Sep 27, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #76 of 96
Sep 29, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #78 of 96
I am also extremely curious to know whether the digital output is capped at 24-bit / 48KHz like previous iPhones or whether it can pass through (again, not decode, just pass through to an external USB DAC) up to 24-bit / 96KHz -- again, exactly like the iPad can via the Camera Connection Kit to USB. (But for now I'd settle for knowing the answer to just the first question!) Thanks.

I can confirm that the 48/24 limit still applies. I inadvertently tried to sync some 96/24 files and got the message we're all familiar with.

Oct 28, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #79 of 96
Has anyone used the IP5 with a portable dac like an e7 or e17 ?

Feb 14, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #83 of 96
OK, "non-Apple certified" DAC are not supported by the "stock" iPhone, but... can we solve the problem by JAILBREAKING the iPhone and using some "non apple certified" apps/kernel that will bypass this limitation ? 

Feb 14, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #85 of 96
Follo
OK, "non-Apple certified" DAC are not supported by the "stock" iPhone, but... can we solve the problem by JAILBREAKING the iPhone and using some "non apple certified" apps/kernel that will bypass this limitation ? 

Follow them...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/622311/iphone-4s-hooked-to-external-dac-yep-its-working/60#post_9162458

Mar 5, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #86 of 96
so six months after its release there are stil no add ons? no dedicated DACS or amps? really surprised,
Fiio?
Ibasso?

looks for the jury is back and this is not going to be a decent source

Mar 5, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #87 of 96
I currently have the 4 and 5 and the differences between the two are extremely negligible. As far as iDevice dac compatibility, all those that work with the 4 (Sony, Cypher Labs) should work with the 5 from what I've read. I've confirmed myself on the VentureCraft DD socket1 and GoDap X. Also Centrance is releasing one in a month or so and and iDevice friendly Dragonfly, called the Hummingbird, will supposedly come out later this year.

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #88 of 96
Sorry if this is an ignorant question. Is there a way of getting a line out from the dock on the 5? Would it be possible to take a line out into a portable DAC?

Apr 7, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #89 of 96
Quote:
Sorry if this is an ignorant question. Is there a way of getting a line out from the dock on the 5? Would it be possible to take a line out into a portable DAC?

WIth the Lightning --> 30-pin adapter you have an analog line out signal. 

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter?fnode=45

You can not connect or use an analog signal to connect to a DAC. Only a few products like the Cypher Labs Algorythm Solo can "extract" a digital signal from the iPhone 5. I use this connected to my iPhone 5 and it works great. 

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #90 of 96
WIth the Lightning --> 30-pin adapter you have an analog line out signal. 

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter?fnode=45

You can not connect or use an analog signal to connect to a DAC. Only a few products like the Cypher Labs Algorythm Solo can "extract" a digital signal from the iPhone 5. I use this connected to my iPhone 5 and it works great. 

Hmmm. That adaptor makes a mockery of a low profile LOD!
Is the consensus that the headphone out is the way forward for those of us that don't have the Cypher or similar? Thanks for the reply BTW. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back