iPhone 5 (and new Touch) has totally new dock connector - 'Lightning' - adapters available but no line-out
Sep 18, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #196 of 399
They showed the line-up of fanatics outside the Apple Store in Sydney this morning, 3 days before the IP5 goes on sale, and it left me wondering where people who dont have to go to work/school/uni  are coming by the purchase price of a new smartphone. Given that none of my bosses have ever been that easygoing, I can only conclude that we are talking mummy and daddy. 

http://www.news.com.au/money/cost-of-living/how-australian-households-spend-over-100k-a-year/story-fnagkbpv-1226474838472

Sep 18, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #197 of 399
Ok, so if anyone here besides me is interested in the line-in functionality of the iphone5, I found this while poking around Studio Six's (makers of the iphone app Audio Tools) page today, and found this on their test mic's page (http://www.studiosixdigital.com/itestmic/itestmic.html):

Compatibility:
iPhone 4
iPad
iPhone touch 4
iPhone5*
iPod Touch 5*

*Requires Apple 30-pin to Lightning adapter.

So it looks like they've crammed an ADC in there as well, probably just a ADC/DAC combo chip...

Enjoy.

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #199 of 399
Quote:
I've been wondering answers to all these questions since the new iPhone was announced. I don't know why it took me so long to come here to head-fi and find out some real answers. Reading the comments on any other site makes me very angry as all it ever turns into is "iSheep" vs "Fandroids". I'd forgotten how informative and mature the head-fi community truly is. Thankful to be a part of it
smily_headphones1.gif
I put in my preorder for a 64GB iP5 through AT&T as soon as I could without going much thought to how it would act with all my accessories. For serious listening at home I still use my iPod classic with an SR-71a and MD Tributes. But in the car I use my iPhone and Spotify subscription. So I'm very happy to hear that I'll still be able to do that with the iPhone 5 long as I cough up 30 more bucks. Kinda lame but hey, what are you gonna do lol. I've been using my iPhone 4 with my MD Tributes and Spotify streaming at 320kbs for a while at work and it's awesome. I absolutely adore Spotify BTW. Eager to hear how the headphone out will sound on the iP5.

Did Spotify start streaming all their content at 320k?  Last year when I checked Spotify only had a small portion of their catalog at the higher rate.  That was one of the reasons I went to MOG, but alas, there is no free lunch since their model of referrals and exploring amounts to only a few hours of free tunes.  I have given up on these streaming models and find I have more music on my hard drives to fill my iPod many times over and will never hear the same thing twice If I like.

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #200 of 399
Quote:
Yes, I'm affected by the dock connector change. I've numerous Apple accessories which will have to be relegated, replaced, or be 'adaptorised' eventually. However, I'm excited by the new development because truthfully, a decent LOD + a decent portable amp still sucks compared to a good USB dac + the same amp. Digitising the output of the iPhone means we can finally 'easily' use it with a DAC/AMP setup. The CLAS etc seems more complicated and expensive in my inexperienced capacity. 

I'm patiently awaiting the official release of the CEntrance HIFI-M8. http://centrance.com/products/new/blog/
Yes, it will most likely work with iOS devices. I'm guessing only the Lightning ones.
As to why it doesn't work on Androids, see the reply below:

It won't be cheap, but it will definitely be of quality. It will then spur other makers to release simpler, cheaper setups to suit different segments of the market.

So yes, I think the new lightning connector will allow better SQ than the previous connector.

Regarding your comment above, how many dac/amp combos have you heard with your iPhone or iPod to come to that conclusion?  Just curious, since I found some of them to sound downright nasty and others to sound better yet far harder to justify the extra cost.

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #201 of 399
A LOD made by QUSP here, which wasn't really that good as compared to the Whiplash TWAG LOD. Headamp Pico slim being the constant, a PICO DAC or Dacport LX put into the equation (from usb source) significantly improves the SQ. Dacport LX>Pico DAC for me. 

I think it's a simple case of a good external DAC being better than the one in the iPhone. 

Sep 19, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #202 of 399
Quote:
A LOD made by QUSP here, which wasn't really that good as compared to the Whiplash TWAG LOD. Headamp Pico slim being the constant, a PICO DAC or Dacport LX put into the equation (from usb source) significantly improves the SQ. Dacport LX>Pico DAC for me. 

I think it's a simple case of a good external DAC being better than the one in the iPhone. 

You got me all confused.  "from USB source"  does not sound like it was connected to an iPhone or iPod?  So how are you comparing an iPhone or iPod with a dac and amp to the "inferior"  iphone or iPod with LOD to an amp?   

We are talking about Apple products here, right?  

Sep 19, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #205 of 399
Quote:
You got me all confused.  "from USB source"  does not sound like it was connected to an iPhone or iPod?  So how are you comparing an iPhone or iPod with a dac and amp to the "inferior"  iphone or iPod with LOD to an amp?   

We are talking about Apple products here, right?  

I was just answering a query above my post btw.

My USB source was my Macbook. Where Audirvana Plus did up the SQ further. Still Apple products. :D
My main point was that with the Lightning dock connector, more companies will be doing external DACs for iOS devices. Something like the CLAS from http://cypherlabs.com won't be that uncommon anymore. CLAS was game changing, but not anymore as digital signal is more easily extracted now. This is evident is by the many announced speaker dock manufacturers who should be using their own DAC in their devices.

Sep 19, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #207 of 399
Did Spotify start streaming all their content at 320k?  Last year when I checked Spotify only had a small portion of their catalog at the higher rate.  That was one of the reasons I went to MOG, but alas, there is no free lunch since their model of referrals and exploring amounts to only a few hours of free tunes.  I have given up on these streaming models and find I have more music on my hard drives to fill my iPod many times over and will never hear the same thing twice If I like.

Yes they have. Entire library is able to stream at 320. It will hit the cap on Atts' "unlimited" data plan pretty quickly though lol. But I save my favorite tracks and albums to my iPhone to remedy that. You should definitely look into Spotify again. I'm no SQ expert, but I am personally pretty impressed with the SQ of Spotify 320. I'm hoping it'll be even better out of the iP5.

Sep 20, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #209 of 399

Users who are viewing this thread

Back