Iphone 5 and new ipod touch DAC?
Sep 23, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #31 of 200
From my actual experience when listening in both ipod classic 160G (7th gen) vs ipod video 60G (5th gen), the ipod video 60G (5th gen) sounds slightly better especially more detail separation and wider sound stage.

Ipod 5th with Wolfson DAC chip
Ipod 7th with Cirrus Logic DAC chip

Yeah, exactly...
And the instruments are more separated... But the thing that makes the Wolfson dac equipped pmps is that the sound is way warmer, to me the difference is way noticeable. But hey maybe it's just me.. I still prefer valve equipped amps due to the same reason, more warm natural sound..
And no, I'm no fan boy (or men cause I'm getting old).

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2

Sep 24, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #32 of 200
Yeah, exactly...
And the instruments are more separated... But the thing that makes the Wolfson dac equipped pmps is that the sound is way warmer, to me the difference is way noticeable. But hey maybe it's just me.. I still prefer valve equipped amps due to the same reason, more warm natural sound..
And no, I'm no fan boy (or men cause I'm getting old).
uote:
No myth here, I just don't like the sound quality it produces. I could take the Pepsi challenge any day with it...

What is the basis for all this? Have you tested every Cirrus based Apple device compared to the best Wolfson ones? Test method? Some flawed high OI players sound good or better with  few IEM/cans that benefit from resistance, thus poor test as it's more of a result of the headphone's nature than the DAP's result. A HF5 will sound warmer out of the latest Ipad than with any of the Wolfson based iDevices, by far because of the IEM's impedance-phase nature, you'll fail that challenge you mention. It's a matter of transparency, not so much of "I feel this is warmer, more natural", the latter is not a good way to test objective performance. To sum it up, that remark just comes off as preference for a very specific scenario not specified that has to universal grounds to lay more into general users. Because of this, I give me an RMMA test comparison more enlightening than remarks as these anytime IMO. 

Sep 24, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #36 of 200
I tested the headphone-out of the iPhone 4S and 5 using the new earpods.  The mids are way more prominent on the 4S than the 5, distastefully so.  The earpods must have been designed with the iPhone 5 in mind, where the sound is much more balanced. I did the same test using the ATH-M50 and HD650, and it was noticeable, but not to the same distasteful effect of the earpods.

Sep 24, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #37 of 200
Quote:
Just did a side by side with UM3xs on the new iPhone 5 vs. the 2 year old iPhone 4 (not the 4s).  When you first plug into the iPhone 5, there are six clicks that can be heard over a 3-5 second time frame.  This happens each time you plug in.  There are no clicks on the iPhone 4.  There is also a click when you push play for the first time after plugging in which isn't there on the iPhone 4.

The iPhone 5 is not as ambient as the iPhone 4 in an A/B comparison.  To my ear, the iPhone 5 rolls off the high frequencies a bit, maybe 3-5 db above 1-2kHz.  In comparison, the iPhone 4 is more pleasant and open, with more rosin on the strings, more breath on the flutes, and more brass in the brass.  the iPhone 5 is a bit muffled in comparison.  I've got the 5 currently running into an open wire at full blast to see if any capacitors "form up" overnight to maybe minimize the low pass effect.

I also compared the iPhone 5 to a 4 week old iPod Classic.  The same comparison holds.

So far, I'm disappointed.  I got the 64Gb version to hold much more music than the 32Gb iPhone 4.  This might be going back in favor of a Samsung S3.

Side note: the screen has a greenish tinge compared to the iPhone4, though that's hardly germane on this post.

hopefully you can get your hands on the international version of the GS3.  I'm still weeping about the US version not having the wolfson :'(  It's not very hard becoming a wolfson fanboy i don't think.  Most of the people that have heard my Galaxy S source or Cowon J3 say it's the most transparent representation of their music they've ever heard.  I converted a fellow head-fier and he now uses a Galaxy S as his main portable player :D       (Mind you--you NEED to have it rooted and get the Voodoo app to optimize it)

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #39 of 200
So far, the iPhone 5 headphone output has been a disappointment, not a disaster, just a disappointment.  There is a clear reduction in 3D spaciousness, a more 2D presentation than with the iPhone 4's output (not 4s which I never heard).  With the UM3xs, the difference is of slight degree, but noticeable.   To test things out, I resurrected my Shure e500cs from the pile of rarely used IEMs.  These were the IEMs that highlighted for me the degradation in SQ going from the 5.5 iPod 80Gb video to the 6G 160Gb.  When comparing the iPhone 5 to the 7G 160 through the e500cs, what a difference--night and day.  The iPhone 5 is flat and 2D.

I suspect the output impedance has increased in the iPhone 5.  I anxiously await someone's measurements to verify this suspicion.

(I put on my Monster Turbine Coppers: pretty flat (2D) through both the iPod 7G and the iPhone 5.  No more iPhone 4 comparisons since my wife now has this phone.)

Sep 25, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #40 of 200
To repeat what I posted in another iPhone 5 thread in which I agreed with IpodHappy, the iPhone 5 has noticeably less depth, width, and air. The upper bass and mids are more forward, and the treble is unrefined. Less transparent, less emotional, and more digital overall. The best playback I've heard from an iOS device has come from new iPad. It's really too bad that the iPhone 5 is such a departure.

Sep 25, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #42 of 200
It would be a deal breaker for me if the output impedance is higher than 2.

iPad 3 is really impressive. Along with iPhone 4/4S the best sounding idevices in my view.

It would be a pity that iPhone 5 took a turn for a worse headphone out.

Sep 25, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #43 of 200
Quote:
To repeat what I posted in another iPhone 5 thread in which I agreed with IpodHappy, the iPhone 5 has noticeably less depth, width, and air. The upper bass and mids are more forward, and the treble is unrefined. Less transparent, less emotional, and more digital overall. The best playback I've heard from an iOS device has come from new iPad. It's really too bad that the iPhone 5 is such a departure.

Ok, that's just ridiculous. I'm A/Bing both my iP4 and my girlfriend's iP5 right now (!) and I hear no such difference, even with my more sensitive iems. It was difficult to tell the two apart.

Sep 25, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #44 of 200
Given the wild variance of users' opinions on the sound, I guess we'll have to wait for some measurements....
popcorn.gif

Sep 25, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #45 of 200
Given the wild variance of users' opinions on the sound, I guess we'll have to wait for some measurements....:popcorn:

Yup!!! RMAA or it's all just BS. I luv how so many claim so many different SQ characteristics. The testing will prove OR dispel all the speculation,...unless the quality control has gone to poop now the Jobs is dead. I find that quite hard to believe.:L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back