Iphone 5 and new ipod touch DAC?
Sep 29, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #61 of 200
All I'm saying is that I have both my iPhone 4, and my girlfriend's iPhone 5 right now in an A/B session, and I'm having trouble telling the two apart.

I believe you. :D

Question: is the volume the same on both at the same level on the controls, or is one louder than the other?

Thanks in advance,...

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #62 of 200
Quote:
I believe you.
biggrin.gif

Question: is the volume the same on both at the same level on the controls, or is one louder than the other?
Thanks in advance,...

Volume output is about the same for me on my 50 ohm GR07

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #64 of 200
Using the GR07 for comparisons I can easily see that, it's a fairly linear impedance phased IEM, which shows just how little the differences are. Differences will be more noticeable with an IEM like the TF10 or B2, still don't expect anything huge but definitely more noticeable 

According to GSMArena, the 4S has a bit more power than the 5. Not sure where the 4 stands in this though. 

Sep 29, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #66 of 200
I just completed my purely subjective, opinionated, it's-all-about-me test of my 4s and the new 5.  I was ready to do the "early upgrade" to get the 5 *IF* it sounded as good (or better) than my 4s.  The primary use of my iPhone is music (moreso than phone, IM, browsers, etc.), so good sound is imperative. 

I took my mid-grade (don't want to get into a brand/quailty argument) IEMs to the Apple store.  I went to the iPhone 5 area, got one, and turned off all the sound and EQ settings (sound check, eq, etc.).  I then looked through the songs on the 5 and found a song I also have on my 4s (don't want to get into another style/quality argument here).  The 4s has iOS 6 btw. 

I then played that song for a while on the 5, then re-plugged immediately to my 4s playing the same song.  I did this several times.  I then did it again with a different 5 next to the one I had been using (just in case). 

Subjective opinion:  Just as some others have posted in this thread, the 4s sounded "warmer" and had a fuller sound stage to my ears.  I also noticed the 5 had that clear (some call it "digital"), but more 2 dimensional cold sound;  not necessarily a negative thing, just different.  The 4s was also louder at identical volume settings. 

Result:  I will not be upgrading to the 5.  This is purely subjective and YMMV, of course.  To my ears, there's a significant difference and the 4s is significantly better for me. 

Sep 29, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #67 of 200
In a few weeks we'll get more accurate objective measurements but it's almost safe to say that technically speaking the iPhone 5 higher output impedance makes it an audibly worse source for iems than iPhone 4/4s and it's no longer on a class of its own as these older iPhones stood back in the day.

4S is a keeper till October 2013 since music is the reason i carry an smartphone around.

It's good to be anywhere!

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #68 of 200
I just completed my purely subjective, opinionated, it's-all-about-me test of my 4s and the new 5.  I was ready to do the "early upgrade" to get the 5 *IF* it sounded as good (or better) than my 4s.  The primary use of my iPhone is music (moreso than phone, IM, browsers, etc.), so good sound is imperative. 

I took my mid-grade (don't want to get into a brand/quailty argument) IEMs to the Apple store.  I went to the iPhone 5 area, got one, and turned off all the sound and EQ settings (sound check, eq, etc.).  I then looked through the songs on the 5 and found a song I also have on my 4s (don't want to get into another style/quality argument here).  The 4s has iOS 6 btw. 

I then played that song for a while on the 5, then re-plugged immediately to my 4s playing the same song.  I did this several times.  I then did it again with a different 5 next to the one I had been using (just in case). 

Subjective opinion:  Just as some others have posted in this thread, the 4s sounded "warmer" and had a fuller sound stage to my ears.  I also noticed the 5 had that clear (some call it "digital"), but more 2 dimensional cold sound;  not necessarily a negative thing, just different.  The 4s was also louder at identical volume settings. 

Result:  I will not be upgrading to the 5.  This is purely subjective and YMMV, of course.  To my ears, there's a significant difference and the 4s is significantly better for me. 

Can you also comment on the new ipod touch 5th generation in term of sound signature comparing to iPhone 5? Are both of them sound similar?

Sep 30, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #69 of 200
Side note: the screen has a greenish tinge compared to the iPhone4, though that's hardly germane on this post.

Another side note: the iPhone 4's display had a color shift towards blue, so don't compare the two thinking the iPhone 4's display is the reference in terms of accuracy. The iPhone 5's display is superior.

Sep 30, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #72 of 200
Quote:

After A and B-ing my 4S with my friend's new iPhone 5 I also feel that it is a downgrade in comparison. Using my IE-80's with the 5, I hear a more 2-dimensional sound stage, more boomy bass, and a noticeable roll-off of the high frequencies. Voices just don't sound as crisp and there is a lack of sparkle to my music. I'd recommend not upgrading early if you're still on contract or sq is your main priority, otherwise it's up to you whether it's worth trading off some sq for better processing speed and other features.

Sep 30, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #73 of 200
Im just wondering right now, whats the impact of IOS 6 over the sound quality.
Ive updated my iphone 4 to IOS 6, and I could clear remember that the sound was really bright over above 13k when paired with JVC FX700 on IOS 5.
RIght now the bright part is much more relaxed...dont know if its my ears or just the os that really changed something.

Oct 1, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #74 of 200
Quote:
Im just wondering right now, whats the impact of IOS 6 over the sound quality.
Ive updated my iphone 4 to IOS 6, and I could clear remember that the sound was really bright over above 13k when paired with JVC FX700 on IOS 5.
RIght now the bright part is much more relaxed...dont know if its my ears or just the os that really changed something.

When i upgraded my 4S to iOS 6 i noticed straight away hiss whenever i locked / unlocked the iPhone with my UM3x plugged. On earlier iOS incarnations i never picked any hiss when locking/unlocking the iPhone.

That said on the few listening sessions that i did under iOS 6 i sensed that something had changed in the high end of the spectrum but i could not assess it properly since the aforementioned hiss and a cover flow bug annoyed me so much that i got my 4S exchanged for a new one runnin' iOS 5.1.1 and i have not (and will not) upgrade anytime soon (At least till iOS 6.1 rolls out).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back