Iphone 5 and new ipod touch DAC?
Jul 12, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #196 of 200
I also forgot, you can use the app at home usng your iphone while the itouch is playing or hooked up to the speaker dock. You do not have to go near the itouch. The Tango remote app cost $4.99 but can be installed to all your apple devices if log in under one apple account. It is worth it! :)

Jul 12, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #197 of 200
I have a 2008 Infiniti car that only comes with RCA (Aux) and power outlet in the middle console. So I have this old 2nd Gen Ipod touch and hooked up to the 3.5mm plug to RCA. The sound is so clear compared to my car's head unit. The only problem is since it is an RCA and not USB, i cannot control the itouch through the head unit excoet the volume.

So I searched online and found out about the Tango remote app. You can use any apple device with a bluetooth capabilites and you now can control the other apple device. Initially, i used the Ipad as the remote and the old itouch as the audio player and it works seemlessly.

I was so happy that I decided to buy a Gen5 itouch and use it as the audio player and the old itouch as my remote. Using the Tango app, I could navigate through the GEN 5 itouch audio files using the remote old itouch. It is like having all my music being access (controlled) through the Car's head unit, but better bec. The control is on the palm of my hanf. :D

Sound is excellent using the Gen5 itouch. My car speaker are Poineer TSD1602R. Beautiful clear sound coming from both speakers and Gen5 itouch. It will be a plus to anyone if they already have an iphone. They can use the iphone as a remote control.

The iPod touch 5G is awesome as a source, indeed. Few things sounds as good. :wink:
Nice impressions.

Jul 12, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #199 of 200
How does the iPod Touch 5G stack up against the iPod Classic 7G? I plan to buy one of them and use them to play AIFF through JDS Labs C5D and the DT-880 250 OHM.

I think you can get a similar level of absolute quality from either one, but your preference and music genre will determine whether you like the classic or touch more:

To my ears the classic is "slower." The 5G touch is sharper, more responsive and edgy by comparison. If you listen to bass-heavy, or electronica music, anything you'd describe with words like rumble, drive, air, aura, ethereal (so both lows and highs), I think you'll get more of a kick out of the touch's reproduction.

With slower, more moderate types of music, or classical, there may be little to no difference, or you may even prefer the classic in some way.

For anyone who uses the EQ more than sparingly, the touch would be better because it'll automatically prevent clipping. The classic's system never received this feature and heavier presets will cause distortion.

Jul 12, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #200 of 200
How does the iPod Touch 5G stack up against the iPod Classic 7G? I plan to buy one of them and use them to play AIFF through JDS Labs C5D and the DT-880 250 OHM.

The iPod touch 5G is perhaps better technically, but the result amped is almost the same, I think.
I will go with the Classic if i choose a external DAC+Amp like the C5D with it, and the iTouch 5G using its internal DAC directly or amped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back