iPhone 4S audio chip ?
Oct 12, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #16 of 57

Quote:
Really? I doubt that.
wink.gif

I'd have to agree. I've seen far more android phones out in the wild than I have seen windows phones. In fact I can count on my hand how many times I've seen a window phone, and I work in San Francisco, so can't use the excuse that I am out in the middle of no where. (Though truth be told, Iphone still reigns supreme here)

The main reason I think that people prefer the Iphone, is it is very easy to use, and every update and fix is spoonfed to you. Android has alot more options, but requires a little tinkering, something that many consumers are not too keen on doing. Which is rather sad when you consider that there are step by step tutorials that show how to do everything a google search away.

Though I have to say I've had an iphone since the 3g up until the 4, and I am pretty sick of the whole thing. Probably going to get an android next.

Oct 12, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #17 of 57
Observation in the wild is fairly irrelevant. That's not a fair comparison. Windows phone is new, Android has been around much longer. Check out a comparison here: http://gizmodo.com/5813901/the-next-windows-phone-its-pretty-great

Quote:
I'd have to agree. I've seen far more android phones out in the wild than I have seen windows phones. In fact I can count on my hand how many times I've seen a window phone, and I work in San Francisco, so can't use the excuse that I am out in the middle of no where. (Though truth be told, Iphone still reigns supreme here)

The main reason I think that people prefer the Iphone, is it is very easy to use, and every update and fix is spoonfed to you. Android has alot more options, but requires a little tinkering, something that many consumers are not too keen on doing. Which is rather sad when you consider that there are step by step tutorials that show how to do everything a google search away.

Though I have to say I've had an iphone since the 3g up until the 4, and I am pretty sick of the whole thing. Probably going to get an android next.

Oct 12, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #18 of 57
I'd have to disagree, mango may be new, but windows 7 mobiles phones were released alongside android phones. Fact is, most people are not particularly fond of windows phones, there are of course exceptions, but that is the general trend. Apple and Android dominate the market share, with android gaining on apple worldwide, but apple still having a minor lead.  

Oct 12, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #19 of 57
Fair enough! I think my original point was that you can't discount Windows. Andriod and Apple aren't the only formidable OS's available. We all have opinions. Some like Windows better. I don't. I love my iPhone. Good thing we have choice, variety, and competition. 

Quote:
I'd have to disagree, mango may be new, but windows 7 mobiles phones were released alongside android phones. Fact is, most people are not particularly fond of windows phones, there are of course exceptions, but that is the general trend. Apple and Android dominate the market share, with android gaining on apple worldwide, but apple still having a minor lead.  

Oct 12, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #20 of 57
Microsoft is hoping that WP7 doesn't turn out ot be the Zune of cell phones....lol.

Oct 13, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #21 of 57
WP7 was DOA. It just has a lot of cash to keep it on life support.

Microsoft is four years late to the party.

Everyone who wants a smartphone already uses Android or an iPhone.

There are only two ways into the market:

1. Beat the competition on price.
2. Offer features not available elsewhere.

Price isn't going to work. The 3GS is now free, as are many Android phones.

Features? Not a chance. They're four years behind. Further, next year's iPhone 5, iPad 3 and iOS 6 will flatten anything Microsoft has to offer. I'm sure Android won't slack off, either. Microsoft needs to accept that the only real product they have left is Office. And they better leverage it with iOS and Android before someone else offers office apps across all platforms.

Oct 13, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #22 of 57
I don't know why Microsoft is letting Nokia do more than the others, I think Samsung is the best OEM to go to because Samsung isn't very good at software, but hardware wise, no one can beat them.

The original SGS is still the most successful Android phone.

Look at this video there the Android activation is mapped, when the fist SGS came out, activations globally just BOOMed

Nokia can make their phones as pretty as they want (colourful plastic etc) but they can never beat Samsung hardware wise (screen, form factor, sound quality (you know how important that is to Head Fiers), and just overall internal components. When the OS is the same, you beat others by hardware.

Oct 13, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #23 of 57
Oct 16, 2011 at 7:09 AM Post #24 of 57

Quote:
I don't know why Microsoft is letting Nokia do more than the others, I think Samsung is the best OEM to go to because Samsung isn't very good at software, but hardware wise, no one can beat them.

The original SGS is still the most successful Android phone.

Look at this video there the Android activation is mapped, when the fist SGS came out, activations globally just BOOMed

Nokia can make their phones as pretty as they want (colourful plastic etc) but they can never beat Samsung hardware wise (screen, form factor, sound quality (you know how important that is to Head Fiers), and just overall internal components. When the OS is the same, you beat others by hardware.

Design wise, Samsung just copy Apple imo. And in this case, WP7 isn't the same as the other OS. Android and iOS are just about "a lot of icons on your screen". WP7 is integrating everything in a smart and design waythat has never been seen before.

Seing the Nokia N9, which should be the same hardware as the WP7 one, it might be the greatest phone ever: http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n9-review-659.php

Actually the N9 should have been that one but since Meego is abandonned...

Oct 16, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #25 of 57

Quote:
Design wise, Samsung just copy Apple imo. And in this case, WP7 isn't the same as the other OS. Android and iOS are just about "a lot of icons on your screen". WP7 is integrating everything in a smart and design waythat has never been seen before.

Seing the Nokia N9, which should be the same hardware as the WP7 one, it might be the greatest phone ever: http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n9-review-659.php

I'd like to ask you this, is Samsung really copying Apple or is it inevitable but to sort of copy Apple??

What Apple and Samsung is trying to do is to make 'simple' designs  Sony, Nokia, HTC, etc designs are all 'love it or hate it' . But Samsung and Apple, its just non-offensive designs.

tell me what Samsung copied off Apple with the SGS2 from the iPhone 4? 

and the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 from the iPad 2??

I can't think of any except for: its thin, its got a glass screen, they've both got physical home buttons (Samsungs one is square), they got volume buttons. But how can you make a smartphone with out those things

Oct 16, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #26 of 57

Quote:

I agree with most of your points except for the one in bold. It may be close identical designs but it's not a direct copy. Anyway, this thread is going a bit off topic.

Oct 19, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #28 of 57
i have listened to it, and it felt it is pretty spacious sounding... compared to my 3GS i felt there are more detail due to the separation.
and i think it should be the same audio chip in the iPad 2 so that is the CS42L63.

Oct 19, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #29 of 57
The iPhone 4S is truly a remarkable device, and there's almost nothing it can't do.  The only thing I would like would be a slightly larger Retina display but not at the cost of pixels per inch -- there is no other display like the Retina display.  Some come close, but close doesn't count.  I find it hard looking at my 24" iMac or 24" Dell Ultrasharp monitors afterwards, which are also IPS.  The Retina display gives us a small taste of what 4K video is probably going to look like when we start seeing it towards the end of the decade.  (If you ask people what they would prefer, 3D or 4K, most will say 4K.)

I'm not sure why so many people want a thinner phone -- so they have less room on the sides to grab onto and drop them more frequently?  The curved back of the previous generations was ergonomically better and easier to hold on to.  I think the ideal iPhone would be a marriage of the two with a larger Retina display.  I know people are wanting an edge-to-edge screen but I doubt it will happen.  Most cases cover the edge of the glass and would therefore cover some of the display.

I'm pretty sure Apple already has the iPhone 5 designed but they are probably holding back until they can perfect the power management aspect of LTE.  People who use 4G hate the short battery life they get as a result and Apple likely won't compromise on something as important as that.

Oct 19, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #30 of 57

Quote:
The iPhone 4S is truly a remarkable device, and there's almost nothing it can't do.  The only thing I would like would be a slightly larger Retina display but not at the cost of pixels per inch -- there is no other display like the Retina display.  Some come close, but close doesn't count.  I find it hard looking at my 24" iMac or 24" Dell Ultrasharp monitors afterwards, which are also IPS.  The Retina display gives us a small taste of what 4K video is probably going to look like when we start seeing it towards the end of the decade.  (If you ask people what they would prefer, 3D or 4K, most will say 4K.)

I'm not sure why so many people want a thinner phone -- so they have less room on the sides to grab onto and drop them more frequently?  The curved back of the previous generations was ergonomically better and easier to hold on to.  I think the ideal iPhone would be a marriage of the two with a larger Retina display.  I know people are wanting an edge-to-edge screen but I doubt it will happen.  Most cases cover the edge of the glass and would therefore cover some of the display.

I'm pretty sure Apple already has the iPhone 5 designed but they are probably holding back until they can perfect the power management aspect of LTE.  People who use 4G hate the short battery life they get as a result and Apple likely won't compromise on something as important as that.

QFT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back