iPhone 4 too loud
Sep 8, 2010 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

rangerid

500+ Head-Fier
I got my iphone 4 a few days ago and I noticed that while the SQ is better than my fuze, the volume is significantly louder. I am using TF10s and they don't need a lot of power to drive them. I am using flip mod with shure olives so the isolation is excellent. I have pretty sensitive ears so I don't like to listen at loud volume levels. 

When I am listening at home in a very quite environment, simply 1 click is more than enough on my fuze. With the iPhone, 3 is more than enough even in the most noisy environment. 1 Click on the iphone is way too loud for me to listen to at home. 

Does anyone know anyway to decrease the volume on the iphone without sacrificing any sound quality? I have read somewhere that using an attenuator will help but I lost my TF10 ones. =/ Is this true? If so, what attenuator should I get?

Thanks in advance for any help. 

Sep 8, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 33
Wow. You mean one volume "block" is too much for you? You either have a defective unit, the most sensitive headphones on earth, or the most sensitive ears on earth.

Sep 8, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 33
its definitely not defective, I also have turbines and they require way more power to drive than my tf10s, like twice as much more.
but like in a very quite environemnet with like no background noise and really REALLY good seal with my TF10s, yes one block on iphone 4 is too loud for me =/

Sep 8, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #4 of 33
Yeah I have some Golds. I listen to them at the 4th block from max. In a quiet room. Same for noisy atmosphere. I probably just listen too loud anyway. Years of car audio has more than likely caused major permanent damage to my ears.

Sep 9, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #5 of 33
^ wow 4 blocks on my tf10s on iphone 4 would blow my ears apart.

Sep 9, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #6 of 33
I suggest you see a doctor. If more than one click is hurting your ears there is something wrong.

Sep 9, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #7 of 33
It doesnt hurt my ears. I had hearing tests before and I had excellent hearing. It's just that I would prefer to listen to it at a lower level. Like I said, it's because my tf10s isolate VERY well for me and need very little power to drive them. 

Sep 9, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #8 of 33
You can fine tune the volume if you use the slider in the ipod app. But as soon as you use the volume buttons it defaults back to the bigger steps.

You've got some serious ears man! I can't imagine listening that low, I usually have mine up 2-3 from the top. Although, I usually like a bit of volume to my music and always have.

Sep 9, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #9 of 33
Well then, until apple implements a finer volume adjustment, you'll have to not use your TF10s with your phone.

Sep 9, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #11 of 33

Quote:
You can fine tune the volume if you use the slider in the ipod app. But as soon as you use the volume buttons it defaults back to the bigger steps.

You've got some serious ears man! I can't imagine listening that low, I usually have mine up 2-3 from the top. Although, I usually like a bit of volume to my music and always have.

Where is this app? It's not my ears I think, its the TF10s. 1 block on my TF10s is like the same as 1/3 or the way up for my turbines. 

Quote:
Try one of the shure 

[size=1em] EA650 Attachable Volume Control[/size]

They came with my e500 and remove the hit pitch static at higher volumes as well

Thanks, I will look into it.

Sep 9, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #13 of 33
Sep 9, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #14 of 33
yeah the simplest solution is gonna be an attachable volume control - check amazon.  just make sure its the kind that is independent of the ipod volume control otherwise its just a remote.

3602 is saying that there is an option in itunes to lower the base volume of your music by adjusting the "gain".  select some music, right click on it , click get info, options, and check the volume adjustment box and then lower it.. ive never actually done this so i dont know how it works, but im guessing it will work...

you can just select your entire music collection at once im sure..

Sep 10, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #15 of 33
Those external volume controls that you can buy have terrible plastic pots that detreriorate SQ. Don't use them.

Your problem is easy to fix. Go into Settings > iPod  > Volume Limit. Drag the bar to reduce the maximum volume. I suggest that you start by trying it at the half way point. Exit and return to listening to your iPod. A click on the volume buttons will now swing the actual volume by half the amount as before. You can fine tune the extent of the swing by adjusting the Volume Limit slider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back