iPhone 4 too loud
Sep 10, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #16 of 33
It's not just the iPhone 4. My iPod touch 2G is sometimes too loud on the first volume step with some earphones. Some earphones are just too sensitive for their own good. I wish the step would be better on Apple's volume-rocker players, but I dought that will happen.

Sep 10, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #17 of 33
Quote:
It's not just the iPhone 4. My iPod touch 2G is sometimes too loud on the first volume step with some earphones. Some earphones are just too sensitive for their own good. I wish the step would be better on Apple's volume-rocker players, but I dought that will happen.

Nathan, read the previous post. I just showed you how to fix it. You're welcome.
wink.gif

Sep 10, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #19 of 33
Using the Volume Limiter won't have any effect on SQ. With or without, you are using the iPod or iPhone's digital volume control which is indeed not 'bit-perfect' but that is equally true either way.

Here is how it works. The rocker divides the total available volume swing into about 16 steps. By reducing that total volume swing by half with the Volume Limiter, those steps each now represent half as much volume change. Fine tune to taste.

Sep 11, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #20 of 33
Thanks cooper, I tried it but I didn't really notice that big of a difference, like that the min volume is the same as before, except there is a larger gap before noticeable sound increase is noticed. 

Sep 11, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #22 of 33
I tried that, but when it's set at zero, there is basically no difference at all when I change the volume bar. I don't think the volume limit has any effect on the minimum volume. 

Sep 11, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #23 of 33
I am comfused now as to what your problem actrually is.

If the problem is that you can hear music too loud with the volume turned all the way down, the only solution is kryptonite.

But if the problem is the first click being too loud, that can be solved. For adjusting that first step to a lower volume, now try setting the Volume Limiter down to 1/3 or even 1/4 of the total.

That's all I got.

Sep 11, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #24 of 33
Actually yea, I think the volume did decrease a bit, I just didn't notice it at the beginning. Thanks for your help man!

Sep 11, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #25 of 33
deleted

Feb 15, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #26 of 33
I too have the problem of a minimum volume that is way too loud, and I wish I could figure out how to fix it.

It sems that my iPod's lower limit gets louder and louder!  I used to be able to actually turn it down to zero and then dial it up to a very soft volume.  For example, I like to listen to some meditative or hypnosis tapes when I go to sleep, and that just won't work when the volume is too loud.

For a brief while, it somehow went back to normal (and I was able to turn down the volume to really low) but now it's way too loud at the lowest level.

Has anyone figured out what to do by now?

Note: I did come across a mention on a volume control cable for stereo headphones. I'm going to look into that.  But heck, why can't I get my iPod's volume control level go back to start at zero, like it's supposed to.

Apr 16, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #27 of 33
The method of decreasing the max volume using the volume limit doesn't work. I've put it to maximum and then to 1/10 volume, but the first step is the exact same volume. I'm using Klipsch S4 headphones. They're usually fine on 1 or two bars when I'm walking around college campus, but when I'm listening to music in my bed before I go to sleep, 1 bar is too much. I think I might try outputting through my FiiO E7 (which I usually only use with my bigger HD600's or ATH M50's), but at least then the analog aux cable will let me put the volume as low as I want.

Apr 16, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #28 of 33
Jube, I thought that it did work but you may be right that the first step didn't change.

I think the real solution then is to get a Pico Slim. (I'll know that for sure in a few days when mine arrives.)

Apr 16, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #29 of 33
Hook your iPhone up to the comp>open iTunes>iPhone>Music>Right click>Get info>Options>Volume adjustment - you can tweak the volume from -100% to +100% ONLY on the iPhone this way. It's not permanent, doesn't alter the SQ or the files in any way, and it's a viable alternative to using an inline volume control OR buying an amp to compensate for the loudness w/sensitive IEM's.

Apr 19, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #30 of 33

Quote:
its definitely not defective, I also have turbines and they require way more power to drive than my tf10s, like twice as much more.
but like in a very quite environemnet with like no background noise and really REALLY good seal with my TF10s, yes one block on iphone 4 is too loud for me =/

I agree with you, with some headphones, my ipod and iphone on one block is a bit too loud.  My solution is expensive but works wonders....the Pico Slim.  You can use it to help successfully use IEMs with any source.  The second thing it fixes from the "too loud" volume is the hissing the iphone/ipod generates with sensitive headphones.  Plus improved sound quality as well.  It's a win, win, win situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back