iphone 4 sound quality
Jun 26, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #46 of 332

Quote:
Dude what refresh are you talking about?
There has never been an iPhone refresh apart from june. September will bring iPods, unfortunately not bigger iPhones.

I was disappointed myself about no 64gb iPhone. Hopefully next year :frowning2:

The first iPhone actually had a mid-cycle refresh with the introduction of a 64GB. So it's not out of the realm of possibility that there could be a 64GB iPhone 4. 

September brings new iPods. If they announce a 128GB iPod Touch, my gut tells me they'd have to release a 64B iPhone at the same time, or very soon after. 

Jun 26, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #47 of 332
I don't want to over exaggerate but I find the iphone 4 more detailed than my pico dac out of macbookpro.  Mind you, the pico/amp/dac provides more bass impact and better treble extension and just more soundstage but there are details I'm hearing from the JH13pro unamped from iphone 4 that I never heard from the pico/dac through macbookpro.

Does this new cirrus dac chip in the iphone 4g be more superior to the wolfson dac in the pico?

Jun 26, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #48 of 332

There was never a 64GB iPhone, just 32GB.

Quote:

The first iPhone actually had a mid-cycle refresh with the introduction of a 64GB. So it's not out of the realm of possibility that there could be a 64GB iPhone 4. 

September brings new iPods. If they announce a 128GB iPod Touch, my gut tells me they'd have to release a 64B iPhone at the same time, or very soon after. 

Jun 26, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #49 of 332
Some more iphone4 thoughts.... The special imaging and placement is better than IMHO all the previous iPods but the iphone4 like all the other iPods and iPhones lack the gap free continuousness of the 5.5 mod . The spacial ability in the iPhone 4 exists where it is lacking in other iPhones and iPods .... Perhaps 25- 35% more spacial clue accuracy tthaan the mod but..... Still lacking in continuousness so I find myself still enjoying the imod with music thAt is close mic'd.

Jun 26, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #52 of 332
Burn-in continues I see...

I wasn't the biggest believer in burn-in for speakers either until i got my current custom IEMs. i mentioned it in another post but they sounded like poop when i first got them - i even preferred my apple earbuds 
eek.gif

i guess no one knows how much burn-in is required for this dac and amp combo.

perhaps someone will be the first to declare that burn-in is officially over for their iPhone 4.

i'm guessing 100hrs - if burn-in exists of course. (maybe we could open a book on it?)

Jun 27, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #54 of 332
Everyone here, please continue to discuss the iPhone 4's characteristics,..... I'm learning quite a bit from you all. This way I'll understand how it works a little better when I finally get 1 in Sept. for me and the Mrs.

Thanks to you all,

tds01

Jun 27, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #56 of 332
well, i was on the fence about the new iphone, my current cell plan is due to expire in a couple of months. I had heard that the 3g (and 3gs?) had pretty good sound, so i was hopefull that the 4g would retain it. but to hear its better?! that pretty much makes up my mind about it.

I have 3 players now, a sony X1061, love the sound and the EQ, also the touch screen is quite good, but getting all my music and cover art on it has proven to be a PITA, consiquently i find myself not using it as much as i should. I also own a clip+, and love it. It has pretty good SQ for its size and is so portable i use it often.
third is a touch 2g, SQ from the headphone out is quite  noticably  not as good as the sony or clip, but it has all my music on it, and i love the UI. Like many users i find the line out with an amp (mini3) to be quite an improvement, brings it up on par with the clip, but still a bit lacking compaired to the sony.

Been considering the touch3g, but was holding off that purchase till i was able to do some research on its SQ, but now I think I will just get the 4GIphone instead. 
Great to hear that apple is finnally getting its act together in the SQ depatment, or at least read reveiws that aren't all "SQ sucks".

Oh, phones I have are al IEM's, UMX3, TF10, RE0.

And one last note, not to stur the pot too much but it could apply to the iphone. IMHO burn in on solid state electronics is NOT a myth. I encourage anyone who thinks it is to buy an RSA P-51. It is an op amp in its siplest form, a battery, rail splitter, a few resistors, 2 caps and an opamp. the 2 caps are decoupling caps on the opamp power rails, not in the signal path. SQ out of the box was nothing short of dismal. It imporved vastly with a few hundred hours burn in. This was not subjective, literally i couldn't even listen to it, after the first few hours i just let it play all day for a week on the desk.  the line out of the clip sounded better and would go louder. after burn in it was a whole different animal. so to say that the iphone (or any other amp) does not require burn in is a bit missleading. maybey it doesn't, but it is entirley possible that it does. My mini3 "seemed" to improve with age, but that i can't say for sure, it is entirely possible that it was just me getting used to its sound.  

Jun 27, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #57 of 332
No real overall improvement, more bass but that is not a good thing for my UE11. Apple will never improve upon their very musical wolfson DAC combos, my 4th gen ipod trounces it in every department and therefore so must the iMods.

Jun 27, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #58 of 332

Quote:
No real overall improvement, more bass but that is not a good thing for my UE11. Apple will never improve upon their very musical wolfson DAC combos, my 4th gen ipod trounces it in every department and therefore so must the iMods.

From what I remember the iPhone has the higher quality Cirrus chip, not a wolfson,....

Jun 27, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #59 of 332
Well using Shure SE530's & Klipsch S4i's, to my ears the IP4 is the best one yet (not had iPod 4th gen). Finally sounds as good as Walkmans now. I always thought I was loosing something with iPods but the IP4 has put a smile back on my face. Using flat without EQ. Even Bluetooth to my SE DS980's sound much better than with other iPhones/Touch as bass is not as heavy/distorted (use BT when exercising). 

Previous players used or extensively tried are: iPod mini, Nano 1-4, Touch 2g & 3g, iPhone 3GS, Walkman A829, A818 (much earlier Creative & Rio players)

PS I'm not into audiophile lingo/BS, just know what sounds good to my ears!

Jun 27, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #60 of 332

Quote:
Well using Shure SE530's & Klipsch S4i's, to my ears the IP4 is the best one yet (not had iPod 4th gen). Finally sounds as good as Walkmans now. I always thought I was loosing something with iPods but the IP4 has put a smile back on my face. Using flat without EQ. Even Bluetooth to my SE DS980's sound much better than with other iPhones/Touch as bass is not as heavy/distorted (use BT when exercising). 

Previous players used or extensively tried are: iPod mini, Nano 1-4, Touch 2g & 3g, iPhone 3GS, Walkman A829, A818 (much earlier Creative & Rio players)

PS I'm not into audiophile lingo/BS, just know what sounds good to my ears!

that is encouraging, I really like the sound sig of my X1061..... if it would just play lossless!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back