iphone 4 sound quality
Jun 27, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #62 of 332
I plugged a dock out cable to my friends iPhone 4g.  Had it hooked up to my Headroom Airhead and Sennheiser 595's.  I compared the sound between my iPod Classic 7G with treble boost eq on both and have to admit that the 4G was a little bit more "comforting" and "soothing" to listen to.  The files were all 320kbps.  We were listening to both Dragonforce, Phoenix, and ACDC.  4G is definitely amazing sounding.  We also compared it to the 3GS.  I'd rate the 4G 1st, iPod 2nd, and the 3GS 3rd.  Hard to really go into more detail because I can't really steal his phone from him to do a comparison haha.

Jun 28, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #63 of 332
On another thread, one headfier has said the iphone 3GS was equal to the Pico Amp/Dac.  The iphone 4G being slightly superior, that makes this superior to the Pico Amp/Dac.
That's quite an accomplishments.   I find that in some ways, I do think the iphone 4G is superior to the Pico Amp/Dac (but this is from memory because I sold the Pico Amp/Dac and no longer have it compare). 

Jun 28, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #64 of 332
I do not find that the iPhone 4 even approaches the sound of the Pico Amp/DAC.

Jun 28, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #65 of 332

Quote:
I do not find that the iPhone 4 even approaches the sound of the Pico Amp/DAC.

Are you talking via the headphone jack or via line out?

Jun 28, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #66 of 332
For the past year, I've listened to a 3GS unamped on a pair of Shure SCL-4s on a pretty much daily basis. I misplaced those and am waiting for them to return to me, but in the meantime, I decided to plug in my oft-neglected Grado SR-225s, curious if there would be a SQ improvement over the stellar (to my ears) 3GS. While it's hard to make any kind of fair comparison, after initially being floored by the sound and doing some non-scientific AB with my 3GS, I'm fairly convinced that the iPhone 4 sounds better. I'm not an audiophile and there is no way in hell I'd buy an amp for a portable music player, but I do appreciate quality and to my ears this is probably the best PMP I've ever come across (I also have an iPod 5.5g that feeds my car stereo these days, and before that had a Rio Karma).

Jun 29, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #68 of 332

Quote:
Can anyone actually explain WHY a Cirrus logic chip is "Better" than a wolfsen DAC? 

Careful, you should replace 'a' w/ 'the'.  There are about as many different grades of  Cirrus Logic and Wolfsen chips as you have fingers and toes.  The vendors decision is not usually based on absolute quality but an X/Y economic ratio of price to performance=Z profits.

I too will be waiting on an Electrical Engineer to answer your question. 

Jun 29, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #69 of 332

Quote:
I too will be waiting on an Electrical Engineer to answer your question. 

I will trust my ears and ignore the Electrical engineer.

Better/worse is perhaps relative to preference? My personal preference is I do not like the wall-of-sound type presentation of the iPhone 4, it lacks the refinement and subtlety of the wolfson and seems to favor lower bitrate mps's where this is unnecessary.

Jun 29, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #70 of 332
I'm not qualified to explain it but this is how I'm beginning to hear it.
From my listening experience with iphone 1st generation and Pico Amp/Dac vs iphone 4g and comparing them I have discerned some differences.
The wolfsen is like watching movie the regular way. The cirrus is like watching movie in 3D.  The cirrus pushes out images and details further than the wolfsen.
This is why, it feels like you are getting more with the cirrus.  Yes, I'm exaggerating the point with the 3D metaphor.  But it does present the music in more surround fashion. Now, personally, many people don't like to watch movies in 3D or like the surround sound experience.   

This is what I meant in my older post comparing the iphone 4 and Pico Dac/Amp.  The Pico Dac/Amp is superior in most ways, but in some areas, for reasons I could not understand, it sounded better.  And I think this was why, the iphone 4 with the cirrus dac gives the 3D or surround sound kind of presentation.

This is my take.  I could be wrong.  But it's how I'm hearing things so far. 

Quote:
Can anyone actually explain WHY a Cirrus logic chip is "Better" than a wolfsen DAC? 

Jun 29, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #71 of 332

Quote:

Better/worse is perhaps relative to preference? My personal preference is I do not like the wall-of-sound type presentation of the iPhone 4, it lacks the refinement and subtlety of the wolfson and seems to favor lower bitrate mps's where this is unnecessary.

Your ears don't tell you WHY one DAC is better than another.  That was the question....

Jun 29, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #72 of 332

Quote:

This is a problem when you think about it. While there's certainly something to be said for personal preference, you can't necessarily rely on the way your brain processes what you hear to give you accurate, unbiased results. For example, did anyone experience the effects of DAC burn-in before being told about it? Maybe a few could claim to have, but in most cases, it's the kind of thing we start to hear (and I'm not taking away from the fact that you really, honestly hear it, just where the perception of hearing it comes from) only after being told it exists. Again, I don't want to argue that your ears/perception are wrong, just that maybe some people misattribute what they hear sometimes.

Jul 1, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #73 of 332
Misattribute? Well I would like to contribute my personal experience... I spent $6500 on  CD player and was convinced I had a defective unit since it sounded nothing like the one I had heard in the store. After 2 weeks of burn in.. it sounded like what I had bought...and continued to improve over the next 2 months..Burn-in absolutely exists. But not to the same degree for everything. It certainly exists for headphones, line out docks, and amps.

Jul 1, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #74 of 332

Quote:
Misattribute? Well I would like to contribute my personal experience... I spent $6500 on  CD player and was convinced I had a defective unit since it sounded nothing like the one I had heard in the store. After 2 weeks of burn in.. it sounded like what I had bought...and continued to improve over the next 2 months..Burn-in absolutely exists. But not to the same degree for everything. It certainly exists for headphones, line out docks, and amps.

x2 Gazillion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back