iphone 4 sound quality
Jul 1, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #76 of 332
Well my IP4 in UK is totally unlocked (not sure about global? how to check?). Direct from Apple retails store as SIM free.

Jul 1, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #77 of 332

Quote:
I'm not qualified to explain it but this is how I'm beginning to hear it.
From my listening experience with iphone 1st generation and Pico Amp/Dac vs iphone 4g and comparing them I have discerned some differences.
The wolfsen is like watching movie the regular way. The cirrus is like watching movie in 3D.  The cirrus pushes out images and details further than the wolfsen.
This is why, it feels like you are getting more with the cirrus.  Yes, I'm exaggerating the point with the 3D metaphor.  But it does present the music in more surround fashion. Now, personally, many people don't like to watch movies in 3D or like the surround sound experience.   

This is what I meant in my older post comparing the iphone 4 and Pico Dac/Amp.  The Pico Dac/Amp is superior in most ways, but in some areas, for reasons I could not understand, it sounded better.  And I think this was why, the iphone 4 with the cirrus dac gives the 3D or surround sound kind of presentation.

This is my take.  I could be wrong.  But it's how I'm hearing things so far. 

I think this is an extremely accurate assessment of what I have heard as well.
I like the Wolfsen DAC in the iMod because the lack of continuousness in the tone is distracting in the Iphone 4 as compared to the iMod. It is not a matter of lower bit rate.. it sounds as if the tones are not held as clearly. In audio DJ circles there is an effect called the "Gaiter" which makes music sound as if it is "Stuttering" or "choppy" . Certainly this is a very nit picking way to describe it... and no.... to the average person it will not sound  stuttering or choppy... but that is how I can describe it... ... the iMod has a smoothness of holding a note...which all the other Ipods and Iphones do not have... but... to be fair...... the iphone 4 has the least of this so far. And IMHO so little as to be enjoyable.... not necessarily something to sit down to and listen to album after album.... and get sucked into a  marathon listening session.. like with a Wadia 860, quality analog rig, or even...at times the 5.5 G Imod... but very good indeed. certainly for stock unmodified music on the go.... a milestone for Apple.

I only listen to Apple Lossless. 

Jul 2, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #78 of 332
Hmm, maybe Gaiter is the word I've been looking for.  Some sources have a solid, full bodied, three dimensional note that just sounds right to me while other highly praised DAP's seem to be thin or rather two dimensional in how they represent a note.  Is this what you are talking about??  At first I thought it was a power issue that an amp could fix but after amping my Clip+ I see the player is at fault somehow, it is thinner than my Sflo2 still.  

Jul 2, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #81 of 332
Jul 2, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #85 of 332
Thus it seems than 3GS capability in the sound area exceeds from the iPhone 4 ones. Just one more reason to hold on to my 3GS 32Gigs. My wallet is greatful for not releasing a 64Gb iPhone 4. And this sheet helps a bit as well :wink:

Shigzeo it seems that you are great at RMAA tests is there any chance that sometime you could RMAA a 2009 iPod Classic. I've not been able to find RMAA tests from this device and have being looking since it appeared last September.

Jul 2, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #86 of 332
It's pretty easy to make one. All you need is: 1. Windows (the only reason I keep it); 2. a y-splitter; 3. headphones (preferably less than 16Ω). You can do it without headphones and a y-split, but that only tests optimal output.

And, if you don't want to test with RMAA, there are a lot of other tests you can do, but none of them coherently do everything that RMAA does for the low low price of 0$. 

I don't have an iPod 6G, but I'm pretty sure that Vinny of Red Wine did a test on it as he was studying the DAC before deciding not to continue on his iMod modifications for the latest gen iPod. If I find one that someone won't mind me hooking up to my computer and syncing, then I'll do it, but as we know, the iPod is locked down and that would mean flushing the thing and then syncing to my lovely lappy.

Jul 2, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #87 of 332
Many thanks for the info.

I will have to buy an y-splitter. But the most important thing i'm missing is where do i have to plug the ipod. I guess it must be to the line in of the computer.

My current sources are a 2009 iPod Classic (Which i'm sure has a different audio chip than earlier generations) and a iPhone 3GS. The 3GS headphone out leaves me speechless but there something that i love about the Classic which is it's ability to hold my whole music collection. When i try the Classic HP out i smell the signature of the 3GS but a bit underpowered. When i go through the Classic LOD plus a Fiio E5 i find an improvement in power at the expense of stereo separation and some grain to the high end. As a good headfier i'm looking to hit my wallet so i was thinking in getting iBasso T3 with the hope of at least matching the authority of the hp out of the iphone 3GS.

I have thought about the Headstage Arrow but i like to carry my Classic clipped to my belt on the go and for that purpose i prefer the T3.

I will give a go that test. And thanks again. I just want to put "a face" to he Classic performance cause it's line out performance is out of doubt  when i hook the Classic to a 90W speaker dock that i have at home it smokes seriously.

Jul 2, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #88 of 332
my 2 cents i posted in the other thread: listened to it at apple store with jh-13 using the preloaded music. sounded very good, no hiss at all. didn't a-b but it sounded as good as the 3gs, maybe better, based on that small impression.

Jul 2, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #89 of 332
It might come down to taste but by the figures it does not seem like a night and day revolution versus the 3GS (Which to my taste was a revolution),

Jul 4, 2010 at 9:18 AM Post #90 of 332
I must admit I agree with an earlier poster on page 2 that the top end of the iPhone4 definitely seems more mature, less shouty than that of the 3GS, and the soundstage is generally slightly more holographic - A very enjoyable listen...

...Then again, heeding the advice of others, having decoded the serial number of my iphone, and knowing that this time last week, it was still individual parts on a production line somewhere - I will definitely hold off of passing final judgement until I have a couple of hundred hours on the clock...

...If nothing else, the screen is absolutely awesome :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back