iphone 4 sound quality
Jul 4, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #91 of 332
My judgement on SQ was both through Headphone out and through a LOD. I think the headphone out was improved quite a bit... lets face it... you will have trouble driving larger cans with the headphone out... bass slam will always be lacking... so the addition of some spacial information was welcome because this was something I could hear even through the headphone output...whereas if there was more bass output...I likely would not hear it without very efficient cans..

I'll be getting the JH 16 soon to give some thoughts on that...Jerry had offered me a JH 16 sample prior to release promising a nice lower bass bump without polluting the lower midbass - so I think this might be a great combo.

Jul 5, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #92 of 332
I just did my first rather thorough comparison, and i think the iPhone 4 is neck and neck with my iPad, which is my best portable source yet. the ipad and iphone 4 are ahead of my iphone 3g which is definitely ahead of my ipod classic 6.5g.

Im pretty impressed with the iphone 4's ability to hit just as low as the ipad. and also, the iphone 4 is just a smidgen quieter with less hiss.

Jul 5, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #93 of 332

Quote:
I just did my first rather thorough comparison, and i think the iPhone 4 is neck and neck with my iPad, which is my best portable source yet. the ipad and iphone 4 are ahead of my iphone 3g which is definitely ahead of my ipod classic 6.5g.

Im pretty impressed with the iphone 4's ability to hit just as low as the ipad. and also, the iphone 4 is just a smidgen quieter with less hiss.

Same DAC, do they differ in headphone out power?  

Jul 6, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #95 of 332

It is "my personal" opinion that the new cirrus dac is superior to the wolfson dac in pico.  I feel it has superior detail retrieval. 
However, it is my personal opinion that the headphone amp/jack in the iphone 4 is (obviously) inferior to the headphone amp in the pico.

Therefore, the iphone 4 with the cirrus dac and improved amp/jack to previous iphone/ipod/itouch (not sure about iphone 3gs) is really a great sounding portable piece of equipment. 

Jul 6, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #96 of 332
well, have not yet heard the iphone, but i did give a quick listen to an ipad in the local box store, I must say i was impressed, tough to say but my initial thought was "wow, this thing sounds better than my sony X1061" . Of course that is a grossly pre mature oppinion, I was listening to music that was preloaded on the ipad. And it in that setting it was impossible to do an A-B test. But I can say it is far better than my 2G touch ( not that that means much ). I would definatly rank it pretty high, if not better than any of my current sources (sony X sansa clip) . I can see why everyone who auditioned the JH-3A would be inpressed. I can only hope the Iphone is similar. As far as the headphone out, I would be perfectly happy using an amp.
Like I said, tough to make a goo comparison, but i do know it sounded good enough i wanted one.

Jul 6, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #97 of 332

my ipod has been passed to my mum recently and hers has died so need a new portable music source.  not sure if i should get an imod or get a new phone at the same time and buy the iphone v4

been reading and watching this thread and it seems the consensus is that the iphone v4 is better than previous iphones and ipods.. excepting maybe the imod...

wanting to know if small amps like the alo prescription amps used for ipods and iphones will run on the new iphone...
dont want the amp to be too big for portable audio so the alo fits the prescription, so to speak..

if running headphones on these i have my hd650 sennheisers but probably wanting to use something more sound isolating/portable and thinking along the lines of the shure se530s.  ive tried ultimate ear 5s before didnt like the way they sat in my ear.  maybe i should look at custom ue's?  

anyways, hope im not jacking the thread but wanted to know how this iphone with a small amp like the alo prescription amps with shure 530's / ue's will run as a portable audio source as opposed to other sources , ie imod ipod with amp etc etc...  any feedback along these lines would be appreciated, cheers

Jul 6, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #98 of 332

Quote:

my ipod has been passed to my mum recently and hers has died so need a new portable music source.  not sure if i should get an imod or get a new phone at the same time and buy the iphone v4

been reading and watching this thread and it seems the consensus is that the iphone v4 is better than previous iphones and ipods.. excepting maybe the imod...

wanting to know if small amps like the alo prescription amps used for ipods and iphones will run on the new iphone...
dont want the amp to be too big for portable audio so the alo fits the prescription, so to speak..

if running headphones on these i have my hd650 sennheisers but probably wanting to use something more sound isolating/portable and thinking along the lines of the shure se530s.  ive tried ultimate ear 5s before didnt like the way they sat in my ear.  maybe i should look at custom ue's?  

anyways, hope im not jacking the thread but wanted to know how this iphone with a small amp like the alo prescription amps with shure 530's / ue's will run as a portable audio source as opposed to other sources , ie imod ipod with amp etc etc...  any feedback along these lines would be appreciated, cheers

my rec would be to not get an amp, and spend that extra money on getting even better headphones, like the JH 10x3's or if you can swing em get the 13's, from what i can tell, iphone 4 is a pretty stellar DAP, even including the amp, its extremely quiet, zero hiss with my 13's.

but i think that getting the 10x3's compared to se530's and an Rx, would be better sound quality for the same money, and be more portable. also, my opinion of the shures is pretty low.

Jul 6, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #99 of 332

just read up further, reviews of jd 10x3's and jh 13's.  for the extra couple of hundred if u spending 1k anyways i think ild go the jh 13 route knowing that there wasnt some better option out there.ild always be thinking how much better is it.

from what ive read on these headphones, they are the absolute best iem's you can get...

but wouldnt they not be utitlising much of their potential running straight from an iphone no amp and not from line out, not getting a proper signal... the source is most important here.. so even if it is lossless audio its still from the headphone jack not line out and there is still no digital to analog conversion and still no amp either..
i dunno need some further feedback.. ive brought this topic up in the dedicated source component section but am still awaiting a reply.. perhaps someone in here can take a look at provide some feedback.. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/500016/digital-v-dedicated-source-component#post_6755298

Jul 6, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #100 of 332

Quote:

just read up further, reviews of jd 10x3's and jh 13's.  for the extra couple of hundred if u spending 1k anyways i think ild go the jh 13 route knowing that there wasnt some better option out there.ild always be thinking how much better is it.

from what ive read on these headphones, they are the absolute best iem's you can get...

but wouldnt they not be utitlising much of their potential running straight from an iphone no amp and not from line out, not getting a proper signal... the source is most important here.. so even if it is lossless audio its still from the headphone jack not line out and there is still no digital to analog conversion and still no amp either..
i dunno need some further feedback.. ive brought this topic up in the dedicated source component section but am still awaiting a reply.. perhaps someone in here can take a look at provide some feedback.. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/500016/digital-v-dedicated-source-component#post_6755298

well of course they will sound better using an amp, but my point was that for the same money as the Rx and se530's you could get better sound just by buying better headphones. if you wanted to spend extra money, then by all means i would recommend an amp.

Jul 8, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #102 of 332
I've had the iPhone 4 for a week now and I've been noticing that there is a loud hissing sound coming out of the headphone jack. The noise floor is also extremely high with this phone (I suspect its picking up radio interference from the antenna). My 3G was dead quiet compared to the 4 when it was plugged into the car. In fact, I'm thinking of getting rid of this thing. It drops calls when you hold it the wrong way, randomly kicks calls into Facetime or speakerphone, and hisses.

Jul 8, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #103 of 332

Quote:
I've had the iPhone 4 for a week now and I've been noticing that there is a loud hissing sound coming out of the headphone jack. The noise floor is also extremely high with this phone (I suspect its picking up radio interference from the antenna). My 3G was dead quiet compared to the 4 when it was plugged into the car. In fact, I'm thinking of getting rid of this thing. It drops calls when you hold it the wrong way, randomly kicks calls into Facetime or speakerphone, and hisses.

thats weird, i dont know whats going on cause i get absolutely zero hiss out of the HP jack with my 13's, i think its an extremely quiet player.

Jul 8, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #104 of 332

Quote:

Liberate yourself!  
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back