iPhone (4) is the only audiophile portable player you'll ever need!
Jul 25, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #33 of 47
Quote:

It should be said though, that a friend of mine compared that gen iPod with the iPhone 4 and thought the 4 blew it out of the water - different league, he said. So make sure you have an open mind :wink:

I feel like some people may not take you seriously because of how serious people are about their "high end setups." I would like to chime in, however, and simply state that I, too, have been quite shocked by how good the Iphone 4 sounds. I've had a few "upgrades" and, honestly, they weren't worth it.

Jul 26, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #34 of 47
I feel like some people may not take you seriously because of how serious people are about their "high end setups." I would like to chime in, however, and simply state that I, too, have been quite shocked by how good the Iphone 4 sounds. I've had a few "upgrades" and, honestly, they weren't worth it.

Of course some won't take me seriously. But hey, you can try :wink:

Jul 26, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #35 of 47
Quote:
Of course some won't take me seriously. But hey, you can try
wink.gif

Remember, someone always knows what is best for you.....
wink.gif

Jul 26, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #36 of 47
Quote:

It should be said though, that a friend of mine compared that gen iPod with the iPhone 4 and thought the 4 blew it out of the water - different league, he said. So make sure you have an open mind :wink:

I too have had more expensive gear, and it definitely wasn't worth it.

Jul 26, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #37 of 47
Quote:
Well I doubt an Asus PC soundcard stands a chance against an iPhone. The iPhone is just better quality throughout and what youre hearing is probably that the Asus is more colored, which makes it sound bigger and more powerful (experienced this at first when I compared the phone to my stereo receiver).
I do believe the iPhone (which looks awesome on measurements) is a world class audio source, but a more powerful amping section would be nice.

A sound card with dedicated headphone amp is in a different league than the iPhone. The iPhone4 is good, but not as good as you describe. The Galaxy S phones and original Galaxy Tab are much better when properly setup. I have myself a Samsung Infuse. I bought my fiancee an iPhone 4S. I can compare them all day long.

examples: Asus Essence, HT Omega Claro Halo...etc.

Jul 27, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #39 of 47
Quote:
iPhone drives the HD 800 without ANY problem at loudest volume (best anyway, since its digital volume control) it sounds like high end hifi. 

Err...I just tried my HD800 with my iPhone 4S. I think I'll keep my desktop setup. 

Oct 11, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #40 of 47
Quote:
Have heard them with a Boulder 1021 CD player and Leben CS300, is that insane enough? I like my sound more :) Leben wasn't really "better", just different. Muscular, rhythmic sound with a quite excessive bass emphasis but not really higher clarity or detail or anything. Too much bass coloration for my taste.

However, you could be right. But the HD 800 is still just a headphone, it's not a piece of magic. Sure it'll reveal everything clearly but it's not like you need a very specialized build to make them shine, at least not IME. 

What would be an insane setup to you? Just interested :) 

I have heard the HD800 on both the Leben CS300 and M1HPA.
To my ears it wasn't even a competition.
HD800 is tonally perfect with the CS300, have a deep holographic soundstage, and presented music with a dynamic, emotional and "musical" way. That sense of being there with the musicians is what you get with this amp. With the 3 dB bass boost on the Leben the HD800 sounded near perfect.
The M1HPA presented the HD800 as it's sound with most amps and that is pretty boring and uninvolving. Better than most SS amps in that price range though. Just my 2 cent.

Oct 11, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #42 of 47
Quote:
But I think the Leben colors the sound too much, taking away the strengths of the HD 800.

Maybe we are listening to music in different ways. I don't care about total accuracy what that may be. I like to listen to music and get swept away by the emotion and realness.
Some people like the HD800 to sound sterile and more "accurate". I'm def not one of those.

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #43 of 47
I think a headphone should be taken to it's peak performance, and should be enjoyed as what it is. I don't mind some slight coloration, the M1HPA for example gives some warmth and smoothness to the originally very clinical and thin sounding HD 800 and that's fine, because it is a coloration for the better.

But the Leben turns it into a completely different headphone, with a much more bombastic and vivid sound. If I want that, I'd rather buy a headphone that does those better (Like the Denon d7000 or LCD-2).  The Leben still doesn't make the HD 800s sound real IMO, they just aren't that good. I've yet to hear a headphone that gives the realism of some truly fine speakers, including the STAX SR-009. The leben just makes the 800s sound fun. 

IMO, the headphone colors should shine through, not those of the source or amp. 

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #44 of 47
Lan and Sweden, I think you have managed to define what this hobby is about. Great conversation and at the end of it all...To each his own....
biggrin.gif

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #45 of 47
Quote:
I think a headphone should be taken to it's peak performance, and should be enjoyed as what it is. I don't mind some slight coloration, the M1HPA for example gives some warmth and smoothness to the originally very clinical and thin sounding HD 800 and that's fine, because it is a coloration for the better.

But the Leben turns it into a completely different headphone, with a much more bombastic and vivid sound. If I want that, I'd rather buy a headphone that does those better (Like the Denon d7000 or LCD-2).  The Leben still doesn't make the HD 800s sound real IMO, they just aren't that good. I've yet to hear a headphone that gives the realism of some truly fine speakers, including the STAX SR-009. The leben just makes the 800s sound fun. 

IMO, the headphone colors should shine through, not those of the source or amp. 

I would have agreed if the headphone mentioned where perfect, but the HD800 is a clinical, somewhat bright and peaky sounding headphone in desperate need for something to fix these obvious flaws. It sounds like we agree to some point on this. The point is that no headphone is perfect and whatever means you have to reach closer to what you consider perfection is the right step forward even though it means coloring a flawed headphone.
What this headphones does best is imaging and here I feel the Leben outperform the M1HPA by a margin. I have only come across tube or hybrid amps that have that holographic ability. Some say B22 does this good as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back