iPhone 3G revealed: "Improved Audio...flush headphone jack...$199 for 8GB"
Jul 13, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #80 of 205
I empathized with many of you until I became intimate. I arrived nice and early at one of the AT&T locations on the 11th, waited in line for over 5 hours, and bitched to myself the whole time about the $85/month (2 year plan) I was about to sign my life away to. I'm surprised that they didn't require I raise my right hand during the final process.

Most of that animosity trickled away shortly after I got my consumeristic hands a 8 GB black version. This is a great looking product and one of the most well rounded electronic devices that fits my life-style needs. The myriad of functions available are intoxicating. This thing even makes a cup of coffee if you download the corresponding application.

Pessimists should tone down the caviling. What you have here is a sexy phone that has rekindled innovation within the cellular phone market. Are there slight nuances Apple opted to forgo until the 4th or 5th gen? Sure! What about the iPhone's aforementioned strengths? Regardless, avoiding such a premium device because it lacks cut&paste functionality is quite trivial.

Jul 13, 2008 at 12:15 PM Post #82 of 205
So, has the SQ improved? The topic has become sidetracked. I'd just like to know how it sounds.

Jul 13, 2008 at 12:57 PM Post #83 of 205
I will know when it arrives from the web shop tuesday or wedensday. I'm hoping that it will sound good enough that I will feel I can live with just that and a set of good iem's for everyday transport use as it would simplify what I carry with me even more. If it is indeed good enough it would replace a HTC TyTN plus my Nano+SuperMini rig. I don't expect it to be as good as my Nano+SuperMini but if I could get 70% there it might be enough. And then there is ofcourse the option of trying it with the SuperMini although I'm worried about radio interference being picked up by the amp.

Jul 13, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #84 of 205
i imagine it sounds just as good as always. the speaker position and clarity has improved but the innards should not have taken a step down. im sure it is still in the top for phones and stands well in the dap market

nc8000: try a 25$ impedence adapter to get rid of hiss and open stage and deepen bass. then, that might be better than your previous rig. i used to be a supermicro iv person with lod and dock but after using that or other amps and lod or cables to amps, i prefer for iems the hissless imp adapters. every amp i have heard hisses at least a little. 25$ and still pocketable as well as sounding great is a good idea

Jul 13, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #85 of 205
Well,

I just audtitioned the new iPhone and must say i'm not directly impressed with the audio quality. The headphone jack is very niice to use but otoh the sound wasn't very stunning imho.

I used UE triple.fi's and my 2Move.

I directly compared it to the iPhone 1.0 and am in the thought that iPhone 1.0 sounds a tad better.

This message didn't really help either. Audio chip maker Wolfson dropped from 2008 iPods | iLounge News

I'll try to see if I can arrange another oppertunity to audition the 3G.

Rgds,

Ric

BTW, the normal iPhone LODs work fine. In case you didn't know.

Jul 13, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #86 of 205
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nc8000: try a 25$ impedence adapter to get rid of hiss and open stage and deepen bass. then, that might be better than your previous rig. i used to be a supermicro iv person with lod and dock but after using that or other amps and lod or cables to amps, i prefer for iems the hissless imp adapters. every amp i have heard hisses at least a little. 25$ and still pocketable as well as sounding great is a good idea

I shouldn't need an impedance adaptor when using my APS ER-4S as they are already 100 ohm and have never given me any hiss on anything as oposed to when I had Tripple.fi that hissed on almost anything without the impedance adaptor. But all will be revealed on tuesday.

Jul 13, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #89 of 205
I'm actually leaning towards the 3G myself. I really want to drop my plan just to get it. Tell me though, what type of plan do I need? I want to take full advantage of the 3G. How much am I looking at if I get the 8GB and a good plan? I'm actually not using my minutes at all. I basically have my phone for emergencies, but I do text a lot and send a bunch of pictures.

Oh, and I'm also waiting on the SQ reviews. It would be really nice to get a portable amp and LOD the 3G to it. That's pretty convenient since I don't want to carry my 80GB Classic around too much. Where I work at, it's not the nicest area. So everyone actually looks at you weird when you have some decent headphones and a iPod.

Jul 13, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #90 of 205
Quote:

Originally Posted by deeplove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... and send a bunch of pictures.

If by that you mean that you use mms and not email/uplod to send the pictures you are out of luck as the iPhone simply does not support mms messages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back