iPhone 3G OS 3.0 sound quality improvement
Jun 22, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #31 of 83
Haven't really noticed any sound quality difference(s) between OS 2 and OS 3.

Few operating things tho. WiFi seems to lose signal strength a lot easier, you used to be able to completely close an app by holding down the home button for 6 secs (not anymore... has to do with Push maybe?), syncing Plays is all funked up (I had albums synced twice when I listened to them once only.. And full albums I listened to where some tracks were not counted as having been played.. I did a full reset so let's see if that'll be fixed, otherwise, I'll restore).

All minor issues that an update should be able to fix.

When you fast forward, it now shows "scrubbing" info, kinda nice.

Edit : It seems to refuse to count the last track of an album as having been played. *sigh*, restore time, I guess
frown.gif

Jun 23, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #33 of 83
The first thing I noticed was a change in quality of the sound when upgrading to 3.0 from 2.x.x. I'm using Sennhiesser IE8s and the bass has lessened in presence (maybe not a bad thing on these phones) but the top end has a harshness that wasn't there before. It is as if the treble has been lifted, maybe to compensate for the out of the box headphones.

My ipod classic 160GB stomps all over the iphone now, when there was only a subtle difference before. I will try to compare directly with a 2.x.x iphone soon, as I don't think my girlfriend has upgraded hers yet.

Fairly annoying if it is changed, as I've only just bought the IE8s to go with theiphone, and now they irritate me.

I design Hi-Fi for a living, so I know that manufactures of cheap stuff tend to add a bit of top end to wow the customer into thinking there is more detail.

I'll be back with observations...

Jun 23, 2009 at 9:41 AM Post #34 of 83
Well I can say that there are known sound problems with the new version:
IPhone 3G S plagued by sound issues? : Boy Genius Report

Quote:

There seems to a problem with sound files on the 3G S and the result after they’re triggered. After they are done playing — like the unlock sound, SMS sound, for instance — the iPhone emits a high-frequency tone. No, we’re not kidding. Something pretty high around 15KHz. We’ve confirmed this isn’t a local isolated issue with our phone, and since some people can’t hear these types of high-pitched tones, your iPhone might produce it yet you’d never notice.

Jun 23, 2009 at 10:35 AM Post #35 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeroibis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I can say that there are known sound problems with the new version:
IPhone 3G S plagued by sound issues? : Boy Genius Report

Well I have absolutely not noticed this on my 3Gs. I reckon I can hear the frequency (Only 30! Just!) so hopefully it's not present on my EU model.

Jun 23, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #36 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? I can't seem to detect the different between the Touch 2G and 3G S. This is out of the headphone-out. I have read at least one other account claiming they sound almost identical (although admittedly it was probably less-than-audiophile).

I loaded same track into both and tested via HP out using my Atrio M8.

I am still reluctant to upgrade to 3.0 firmware due to WiFi issues and sound as "jagwap" described but the main point is I am not willing to pay for the fw upgrade for £5.99 and it should be free for all! :p

Jun 23, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #37 of 83
4agze, i agree wholeheartedly: these updates should be free. at the release of osx, apple had an unstable system that was not full featured. the same can almost be said of the os in the iphone. at first, very underfeatured and until 3.0, quite a sad release in many ways. but, in the case of osx, the upgrade to 10.1 was free whilst os 1.4, 2.0 and now 3.0 are all paid updates that have added only the features that should have been present at first. i am fuming on this one. blogged about it.

Jun 23, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #38 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4agze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I loaded same track into both and tested via HP out using my Atrio M8.

I am still reluctant to upgrade to 3.0 firmware due to WiFi issues and sound as "jagwap" described but the main point is I am not willing to pay for the fw upgrade for £5.99 and it should be free for all! :p

Oh. My comparison was done casually with the HD25-1 II with the 3G on 2.2.1, the touch 2G on 3.0, and the 3G S on 3.0. I think the differences between the 3G and the latter two are subtle, but I didn't really notice much between the latter two. I'm not very critical as I was, and I don't have a better setup to evaluate this further.

Yeah iPod touch users have it tough.

Jun 23, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #39 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
4agze, i agree wholeheartedly: these updates should be free. at the release of osx, apple had an unstable system that was not full featured. the same can almost be said of the os in the iphone. at first, very underfeatured and until 3.0, quite a sad release in many ways. but, in the case of osx, the upgrade to 10.1 was free whilst os 1.4, 2.0 and now 3.0 are all paid updates that have added only the features that should have been present at first. i am fuming on this one. blogged about it.

Yes I don't see the logic in them being free for iPhone but paid for Touch

Jun 23, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #40 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Particularly as an iPhone user gets more benefit!

Jun 23, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #41 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They're pretty much required to do it for free on the iPhone due to subsidy terms with AT&T for providing continued, complimentary post-release support for their products. The iPod touch doesn't offer them any extra revenue beyond the initial purchase, and thus the charge is implemented.

Jun 24, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #43 of 83
Had a very quick listen to a 2.x.x verses my 3.0 iphone this morning. While not quite awake, there is a difference in the bass. It is less in quantity or prominence , and maybe less deep, which allows the treble to be accentuated. However the treble is not directly affected, just the balance top to bottom. I can see how some would find that beneficial with less bright headphones, but with the IE8 it tends to exaggerate some sibilance. I think I prefer the 2.x.x, but there is less in it than I suspected. I think the large difference I thought I detected is more down to the fact I have been using my ipod classic more lately, and that is better than the iphone's output: smoother and more musical. (also the tracks on my ipod classic are lossless, while the iphone I use 192kbs variable bit rate)

However, this was before heading to work, and more importantly before coffee...

Jun 24, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #44 of 83
Guys, it's quite funny, cause I hear something different. I use iPhone 2G (maybe that's the case) and Sony EX85. The sound now is pretty warmer, the mids are more "fluffy", there's more bass and less highs (it doesn't hiss that much though). It changed so much that I'm prolly going to change earphones, too warm for me for now.

Jun 24, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #45 of 83
would htere be a difference in SQ on the Touch ? 2>3.0 firmware ?

just can't see any other reason to upgrade the firmware at the moment - its only 5.99 - but 5.99 wasted if it doesn't add anything of use to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back