iPhone 3G OS 3.0 sound quality improvement
Jun 19, 2009 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 83

tygger

Head-Fier
I have just updated my iPhone 3G to OS 3.0 and I've got a distinct feeling the sound has changed. I usually listen to iPhone on the go with ER6i's recabled to stock headset and use my Classic/Move combo with PK1, ER4S and SR325i. I first noticed the change with the ER6i. Orchestral pieces got better instrument separation, the sound became noticeable warmer.
Then I switched to PK1. I remember how they sounded with iPhone before - pretty much the same as from Mac Pro's HP out, mushy, dry, in one word, underamped. With OS 3.0 I swear their sound changed dramatically. It's too early to be sure about it, but I feel I prefer this new sound to what I hear from the Move.
I understand this may sound strange since obviously no hardware changes were made. There is no mention of improved audio quality in OS 3.0 feature list.
I wonder if anybody else heard this change or it's some weird case of hearing disorder.

Jun 19, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #2 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by tygger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have just updated my iPhone 3G to OS 3.0 and I've got a distinct feeling the sound has changed. I usually listen to iPhone on the go with ER6i's recabled to stock headset and use my Classic/Move combo with PK1, ER4S and SR325i. I first noticed the change with the ER6i. Orchestral pieces got better instrument separation, the sound became noticeable warmer.
Then I switched to PK1. I remember how they sounded with iPhone before - pretty much the same as from Mac Pro's HP out, mushy, dry, in one word, underamped. With OS 3.0 I swear their sound changed dramatically. It's too early to be sure about it, but I feel I prefer this new sound to what I hear from the Move.
I understand this may sound strange since obviously no hardware changes were made. There is no mention of improved audio quality in OS 3.0 feature list.
I wonder if anybody else heard this change or it's some weird case of hearing disorder.

I haven't even listened to mine since I upgraded, will have to try it out and get back to you.

Jun 19, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #3 of 83
As it would happen I currently listening to lossless files on a 2nd Gen Touch running OS 2 with ER-4P. This not a combination I familiar as I rarely use the touch for listening and i have listened to the ER-4P for a maximum of a few hours only. I must say I terribly impressed by just how good it sounds.

I'll try upgrading to OS 3 in a few hours to see it makes a difference. I hope you are right.

Jun 19, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #4 of 83
I would agree my ipod seems to sound way better, if it's a hearing disorder then it's catching!

Jun 19, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #5 of 83
Waddaya know, I do believe it does sound noticeably better. Crisper, more detail. Apple snuck one in on us?

Jun 20, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #6 of 83
huh?? i'll check and report back; updated yesterday. is this just via HP out or LO too?

Jun 20, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #9 of 83
I do believe that the sound from the headphone out has changed to an extend where I am no longer certain I can be bothered with my T4. Greatif this feeling outlasts some more testing.

Jun 20, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #10 of 83
I thought my ipod sounded good today but I was listening to a new album so I had no comparison. Just picked up the 3gS. I'll have to hear if it sounds different from the 3g. Not sure if the chip for the audio has changed.

Jun 20, 2009 at 10:14 AM Post #11 of 83
Thanks for confirming the change in SQ.
Now I'm absolutely sure of the sound improvement. Tonight I'm going to recable ER4 drivers to stock headset with inline mic adding 50 Ohm buffer per channel and will post the results. Right now ER4S sound way better with iPhone than with Meier Move.

Jun 20, 2009 at 10:54 AM Post #12 of 83
Hey Guys when I saw this thread I thought, what so much fun am going to have when I update my touch 1G and 2G. So I played a few tracks on each before and after the update.

I can't tell if it sounds better cause I am real tired, but if I were to say anything I'll say they're now crisper, more treble (cause I thought I had treble booster on!! haha and everything seems "fast forward".
Thanks to Placebo 3.0 or .............

Jun 20, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #13 of 83
Just curious how a software update could improve sound. I am not hating in fact I upgraded my iphone and would love this to be true. I need to spend some time with it today. I just always thought the SQ was largely based on hardware.

Jun 20, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #14 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious how a software update could improve sound. I am not hating in fact I upgraded my iphone and would love this to be true. I need to spend some time with it today. I just always thought the SQ was largely based on hardware.

The DAC is the most important chip in the Touch/iPhone for SQ, but I maintain that Apple implement a 'default' EQ level in the firmware that ensures that if you pick up an iPod it will sound warm and relatively bassy - this isnt the case with my other DAPs. Apple may have tweaked whatever they do in that default processing stage - long overdue if that is the case, IMO.

My 1st Gen Touch should finish the lengthy update process very shortly, so I'll be able to check for myself if there is any change.

Jun 20, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #15 of 83
Interesting observation indeed,

I tested it righ away. I use UE Triple.fi's and notice the following:
- Way better instrument seperation (as if the resolution of the sound went up)
- The low end became much tighter
- The highs are somewhat different (maybe better defined)
- The lows are less

Users who are viewing this thread

Back