iPad to Support USB Audio Interfaces via Camera Connection Kit?
Aug 16, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #286 of 454

Quote:
Any idea what changed so that the V1 went from not working to working?

-john

Hey Now John,

Yeah, I think in my excitement in getting an iPad and all, I think I left an LOD input in the V1. I have a 3rd gen iPod stuck to the V1 for my walking portable unit and the usb plug is on the opposite end. I think I did not have the LOD input extracted. Yep, just confirmed it. When the Line In is active, the DAC becomes inactive. So there you have it, excitement, no double checks, just blindly buying stuff up that you know has been confirmed to work. Good for the Head-Fi economy!  Anyone want to buy a nice little red uDAC? 
tongue.gif

--
Finest kind,
Chris

Aug 16, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #287 of 454

Quote:
Hey Now,

I just tried tried using the M2 Hiface USB stick and could not get it to work. I plugged the Hiface into the back of my Valab DAC into the coax input using an RCA male to male adapter and a USB A male to female plug into the Hiface. 

I don't know if plugging directly into the camera kit and using a coax cable would make any difference. Don't have a coax cable handy right now.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

I could almost swear that I read somewhere that the Hiface will work that way. It could be the way you have it set up, or maybe it's the Valab that's causing the problem, even though it reportedly works via USB.

Aug 16, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #288 of 454

Quote:
Yeah, I think in my excitement in getting an iPad and all, I think I left an LOD input in the V1. I have a 3rd gen iPod stuck to the V1 for my walking portable unit and the usb plug is on the opposite end. I think I did not have the LOD input extracted. Yep, just confirmed it. When the Line In is active, the DAC becomes inactive. So there you have it, excitement, no double checks, just blindly buying stuff up that you know has been confirmed to work.

OK, cool.  I'll leave it in the "works" category.  Just wanted to make sure there wasn't a special trick to it.

-john

Aug 16, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #289 of 454

Quote:
ccklone said:

I just tried tried using the M2 Hiface USB stick and could not get it to work. I plugged the Hiface into the back of my Valab DAC into the coax input using an RCA male to male adapter and a USB A male to female plug into the Hiface. 

I don't know if plugging directly into the camera kit and using a coax cable would make any difference. Don't have a coax cable handy right now.

Just so I understand correctly, the M2 Hiface USB stick is not really a DAC, but a torque converter, eh?  Convert USB to SPDIF Coax (digital to digital, not digital to analog)?

So your path is:

iPad --> Camera Dongle --> USB cable(?) --> M2 Hiface --> Valab DAC

?

This is the same "Valab NOS USB DAC" you report as working when connected via USB?

Thanks,

-john

Aug 17, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #290 of 454

Quote:

Just so I understand correctly, the M2 Hiface USB stick is not really a DAC, but a torque converter, eh?  Convert USB to SPDIF Coax (digital to digital, not digital to analog)?

It also re-clocks the digital signal by taking control away from the host computer, which is supposed to improve the timing, or reduce jitter, like an asynchronous conversion process would do.

Aug 17, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #291 of 454

Quote:

So your path is:

iPad --> Camera Dongle --> USB cable(?) --> M2 Hiface --> Valab DAC

?

This is the same "Valab NOS USB DAC" you report as working when connected via USB?

Thanks,

-john

Hey Now John,

You are correct. The path is as you described, except I have a male-to-male RCA connector between the Hiface and DAC. The Valab DAC does work directly from the iPad --> Camera kit dongle --> USB cable --> DAC. 

--
Finest kind,
Chris

Aug 26, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #297 of 454
I tested some DACs with the camera connection kit.
iBasso D10 - works flawlessly (charge off)
Sigtone h1 - without any trouble
PopPulse PCM 1796 DAC - first an error message, but after reconnection works fine
USB monica NOS DAC - no problems

+
tried connecting the PopPulse DAC several times and got no more error messages

Aug 28, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #299 of 454
Can anyone point me in the direction of a solid right angle USB A to mini B.  Don't need the real fancy stuff, just a solid cable that will come out of the camera kit at a right angle.  Trying to streamline the connection a bit.  I'd also like it to be about 2 feet.

BTW the Bithead works nicely (as has been stated) and sounds very nice with the iPad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back